Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
So the Chimera is slated to have a CPU cooler clearance of 165mm.

The IceGiant ProSiphon Elite is apparently 165.9mm in height. From the prototype we've seen on LTT, this may be the best self-contained CPU cooler on the market when it launches in a month or two. https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

This seems as though it should still fit, maybe contacting the side panel with slight bowing, though probably not safe for travel (it's about the same weight as a D15, so that may preclude it anyway). But it would be a shame to not double check that this is fully compatible, as there won't be a better workstation cooler period if the hype pans out (including mult-rad open loops, due to reliability, longevity, simplicity).

Well and I guess if the Chimera has no perforated top panel option, the point is likely moot anyway.

Agreed this will be great if it does fit.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i just had some thoughts: will the Lian Li vertical brackets fit in there? (I don't mind cutting the slits myself, but separately i kinda worry for its structural strength afterwards ,_,)

there're the old and new kinds, but i'm considering which to get if i were to get one
LL O11D-1 (old)

LL O11DXL-1 (new, moves one slot closer to side panel and adds one extra slot)

EDIT: nevermind i'm keeping it simple ,_,

Last edited:

Mope

Cable Smoosher
Mar 31, 2019
What do you mean by "single installation mode"?
No one is forced to use water cooling and radiators, but you need to keep those options in mind when designing a case. Especially for workstations.
If you don't need the space this case provides and you see it as wasted space, this case might not be the best option for you then.
I mean the installation location of the power supply.
If you use an air-cooled radiator and do not install a water-cooled radiator in front of the chassis, then move the SFX power supply to the front of the chassis to free up the bottom PCIE slots.

patkaiser

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 22, 2020
I am so waiting for this case for my next build... Its everything i wanted. Small and powerful!!! Need updates and launch dates and pre order links!!!

Reactions: Dpm89

zooroo

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2019
I love the case design my only issue is the front panel I feel like the pice around the io and power button should be the same as the rest of the front panel. Right now the raised front around the power button does not look good at all.

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
nope and this is the reason why:

Our secondary goal has been to embrace modularity. CX2 is meant to support a selection of bespoke and aftermarket parts and accessories in order to provide tangibly improved flexibility to the end user, as well as a longer lifetime. This will manifest in the beginning in a variety of panel choices, an integrated handle option, and a front I/O solution that can be swapped out (and thus updated) over time.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've been pretty quiet while we've been working behind-the-scenes to get some updated, concrete dates and figures for you all. I'm pretty paranoid at this point about only stating specific things when we're confident in them, and I've already been burned by the guidances we've put out pre-pandemic... but at the same time, staying silent really isn't helpful to the community either. I've got to get a much better balance in place there.

I think we'll be able to share some of those revised facts and figures soon, but I can confirm this much right now:
  1. We're actively working on CX2: Final CAD changes, prototyping, planning out manufacturing, etc. Since my last update we've made tangible progress.
  2. The COVID-19 pandemic has (obviously) disrupted our original schedule, but has delayed things, not shut them down outright.
  3. We have some minor changes to the design that account for feedback as well as optimizations we've discovered in testing or upon some consideration. We'll share these when the final design is locked in and we are entering production.
Over the weekend I'll be updating the OP and adding to the FAQ, and moving forward I'll be participatory here even if it means a lot of the time I have to give the unsatisfactory answer of "I'll let you know soon". I mostly want to emphasize that CX2 is still active, but that the pandemic has been disruptive across all the brands/products I support, and so collectively that has delayed this project even before considering our inability to ship it to most places right now were we to have been on schedule.

All that said, it's not all bad news – these sorts of dramatic changes bring with them opportunities as well, and CX2 has seen some of these. I think retrospectively I'll have fun stories to tell about this project. For now, our heads are down as I work to assist all the brands I support, and push CX2 forward as hard as I'm able to.

gassydoc

Cable Smoosher
May 1, 2020
Thanks for the update. Covid has been very disruptive to every industry.

Great to know you are still progressing and just wanted to let you know there was still a lot of interest from the community.

Reactions: Timothy

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the update. Is there a teaser on the final design?

There will be when it's ready, which for us means that we've made the final prototype. As I mentioned, we are still making some minor (read: not-dramatically-changing-the-use-case-we've-already-established) changes, so validating with the final prototype will come after that.

Taking a step back, modularity is an important part of the CX2 design, so irrespective of the final look, I would expect that in the long run there will be some off-the-shelf options (definitely first-party, maybe third-party) that would enable folks to easily change this. Taking a further step back, I think some of the forays into customization like NFC's Skyskins are going to become much more common this year or next.

Thanks for the update. Covid has been very disruptive to every industry... Great to know you are still progressing and just wanted to let you know there was still a lot of interest from the community.

I get pinged on the forum, Discord and beyond on almost a daily basis regarding CX2. I really appreciate the interest and support you all have extended publicly and privately. I'm excited to get this our for you all, and honestly to get it out for myself – I haven't had a desktop PC in years now haha.

race2c

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for the update, Playful! Great to see that movement on this case is still occurring. As someone who is also following the T1 case, its notable that all of these cases (along with pretty much everything in the world) is being postponed/altered schedule/etc by Covid-19. Hope to see more updates soon!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oof september ¡-¡ would the shipping commencement timescale be staggered according to regions/destinations (i.e. earlier for some), or will it all be for multiple areas closer to september?

kinda asking for reasons of self because i'd start school (if everything goes well) in september

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
oof september ¡-¡ would the shipping commencement timescale be staggered according to regions/destinations (i.e. earlier for some), or will it all be for multiple areas closer to september?

kinda asking for reasons of self because i'd start school (if everything goes well) in september

Our intent is to have uniform availability internationally at launch, so we would only 'stage' the release if we were constrained in some way. The most likely example of that would be if our fulfillment partner continues to halt shipping to certain areas by launch due to the pandemic (this is something that is affecting many brands presently, and has for a few months now).

Added XL-ATX motherboard support to the CX2 for to better support upcoming sTRX4 mobos.

This is a great example of the sorts of changes we've been making ahead of the final prototype, as we've taken advantage of feedback, our own tests, and unexpected time afforded by COVID-19 delays. The list of motherboards CX2 can't support is vanishingly small at this point :)

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
Does this change any of the previous offerings (bottom mount SFX, 120mm rear exhaust) or is this an additional orientation? With a SFX psu in that orientation, would that leave room for a 92mm fan below it?

I also assume the “feet” would be a modular piece. They certainly add some pizzazz, even if I’m not sure if I personally like them or not. I still think there’s an untapped market for high quality SFF cases to lure in “mainstream” pc builders. Offering an efficient, high compatibility case with lots of accessory choices seems like a good strategy

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Does this change any of the previous offerings (bottom mount SFX, 120mm rear exhaust) or is this an additional orientation? With a SFX psu in that orientation, would that leave room for a 92mm fan below it?

I also assume the “feet” would be a modular piece. They certainly add some pizzazz, even if I’m not sure if I personally like them or not. I still think there’s an untapped market for high quality SFF cases to lure in “mainstream” pc builders. Offering an efficient, high compatibility case with lots of accessory choices seems like a good strategy

Additional, not reducing previous feature set.

Yes, 92mm fan under the SFX /SFX-L is supported in the rendering configuration.

Reactions: teodoro