Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

h2ong

Efficiency Noob
May 18, 2020
It either overhangs the rear IO or the RAM, but at least one of them cannot be taller than 43mm from the motherboard surface.

Seems the issue that your m.2 shield and chipset cooler is too big. If you add an aftermarket heatsink and use the airflow from the cooler, it should work.

That folder with pics of the 47K installed on various mobos was exactly what I was looking for. Explained the remarks on the google doc compatibility list. Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Pretty interesting readings here..:)
Thanks for tip on noctua mounting kit am4 l9i/a on I’d-cooling cooler. Just bought one to test it on is-60..:) if it can save mb flex, it’s all good!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
so I got the cooler tonight, just in time before flying out tomorrow. it was ordered from the official ID-Cooling Tmall store page for a total cost of 34 USD

I used stock mounting, no Noctua backplate, swapped the stock fan for Noctua A9x14 from an L9i cooler and set as intake. In short I'm very happy with the performance

• The CPU is a R7 2700X, PBO enabled and boosted all the way to 160W PPT until heat soaked and backed down to 115W (stock is 105W)
  • Thermal throttled at 85C BUT the CPU was at 115W so I expect it to be very good at 65W/ good at 95W
  • Idled between 42-45C with ambient of 28C

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
so I got the cooler tonight, just in time before flying out tomorrow. it was ordered from the official ID-Cooling Tmall store page for a total cost of 34 USD

I used stock mounting, no Noctua backplate, swapped the stock fan for Noctua A9x14 from an L9i cooler and set as intake. In short I'm very happy with the performance

• The CPU is a R7 2700X, PBO enabled and boosted all the way to 160W PPT until heat soaked and backed down to 115W (stock is 105W)
  • Thermal throttled at 85C BUT the CPU was at 115W so I expect it to be very good at 65W/ good at 95W
  • Idled between 42-45C with ambient of 28C
How did it compare with the L9i?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
How did it compare with the L9i?
I only had the A9x14 fan from the L9i and not the cooler itself ? but looking back at my data from previous testings, the L9a with fan duct on a 3900X in ECO mode (65W) hit 86C after 4 minutes of Cinebench R20 so I expect the IS-47K to win easily

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
im still waiting to see thermal comparisons between this and the Blackridge cooler, has anyone been able to do this yet?

I feel many of us are waiting to know which 47mm cooler is better. Most of us with high end CPUs in the S4M or S4M-C use the Blackridge with the 120x15mm Noctua and VLP DDR4 as the best cooler we have for 95w and 95w+ CPUs, so this cooler is an interesting competitor that we're all considering buying if it can outperform the current best cooler we can fit.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
im still waiting to see thermal comparisons between this and the Blackridge cooler, has anyone been able to do this yet?

I feel many of us are waiting to know which 47mm cooler is better. Most of us with high end CPUs in the S4M or S4M-C use the Blackridge with the 120x15mm Noctua and VLP DDR4 as the best cooler we have for 95w and 95w+ CPUs, so this cooler is an interesting competitor that we're all considering buying if it can outperform the current best cooler we can fit.

No way to beat VLP and a 120 mm fan, it will be the best setup if you can fit it.

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
I find it hard to imagine it beating at the same height with the black ridge having a 120mm fan.
The AXP-90 with a 120mm fan is probably comparable to the BR with a 120mm fan. The AXP-90 simply has far more thermal mass than the BR. Still, the standard AXP-90 will give comparable/better results to the standard BR without the motherboard or ram compatibility issues.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The AXP-90 with a 120mm fan is probably comparable to the BR with a 120mm fan. The AXP-90 simply has far more thermal mass than the BR. Still, the standard AXP-90 will give comparable/better results to the standard BR without the motherboard or ram compatibility issues.

1. Most of the airflow is generated on the tips of the fan blade. A 120 mm fan on a 92 mm cooler will mean most of the airflow will fly right past it and likely makes it perform *worse*.

2. Are you accounting for performance/noise, as in noise normalized? Anyone can add a Delta fan and crank it to 5,000 RPM. The big factor in a BR VLP set up is that the fan is further way from vent holes and covers a larger surface area. This is in contrast with the fan being next to vent hole patterns which causes turbulence. Cases like the DAN A4, this characteristic is important factor.

3. Thermal mass means nothing when talking about smaller coolers that saturate so quickly. It can be an indicator of total surface area, but not always. A better indicator is total surface area. If we're talking about water cooling, to where water has approximately 10X the heat capacity of copper, yeah thermal mass is a pretty big deal. (Though, I am assuming you meant heat capacity, as I'm not sure what thermal mass is? What is the unit for it?)

There is a lot of "probably" in this statement and no evidence or qualified statements to back it up. Without good evidence, I urge that you don't make absolute statements like the one below (but if you have some tests to share, then please do):

"Not entirely true, the axp-90 beats the Blackridge by a fair few degrees when configured properly."

You may be right altogether, but there are a quite a lot of factors to consider.

Last edited:

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
until someone does a head to head with an AXP-90 and Blackridge, i wont consider the AXP-90... so, I'll believe the results when i see 'em.
1. Most of the airflow is generated on the tips of the fan blade. A 120 mm fan on a 92 mm cooler will mean most of the airflow will fly right past it and likely makes it perform *worse*.

2. Are you accounting for performance/noise, as in noise normalized? Anyone can add a Delta fan and crank it to 5,000 RPM. The big factor in a BR VLP set up is that the fan is further way from vent holes and covers a larger surface area. This is in contrast with the fan being next to vent hole patterns which causes turbulence. Cases like the DAN A4, this characteristic is important factor.

3. Thermal mass means nothing when talking about smaller coolers that saturate so quickly. It can be an indicator of total surface area, but not always. A better indicator is total surface area. If we're talking about water cooling, to where water has approximately 10X the heat capacity of copper, yeah thermal mass is a pretty big deal. (Though, I am assuming you meant heat capacity, as I'm not sure what thermal mass is? What is the unit for it?)

There is a lot of "probably" in this statement and no evidence or qualified statements to back it up. Without good evidence, I urge that you don't make absolute statements like the one below (but if you have some tests to share, then please do):

"Not entirely true, the axp-90 beats the Blackridge by a fair few degrees when configured properly."

You may be right altogether, but there are a quite a lot of factors to consider.
I was simply trying to provide the AXP-90 as an alternative to the is-47K and Black Ridge, I did not mean to insult you in any way. I shall try to refrain from making absolute statements in the future if it pleases you so.

However, In terms of BR vs AXP-90, the fact of the matter is that the AXP-90 will be a stellar choice in a greater range of configurations since it doesn't geometrically clash with motherboard VRMs or tall ram like the BR does.

In terms of BR vs AXP-90 head to head @CubanLegend, here is a graph from bilibili showing the axp-90 performing remarkably similar to the BR on a 3700x, with the noise test being 3.5db louder (take this with a grain of salt, I am not bilingual and this is my best interpretation of how to translate these results). Obviously different setups will yield different results, and as always YMMV. One results cannot speak to the overall performance of a product.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was simply trying to provide the AXP-90 as an alternative to the is-47K and Black Ridge, I did not mean to insult you in any way. I shall try to refrain from making absolute statements in the future if it pleases you so.

However, In terms of BR vs AXP-90, the fact of the matter is that the AXP-90 will be a stellar choice in a greater range of configurations since it doesn't geometrically clash with motherboard VRMs or tall ram like the BR does.

In terms of BR vs AXP-90 head to head @CubanLegend, here is a graph from bilibili showing the axp-90 performing remarkably similar to the BR on a 3700x, with the noise test being 3.5db louder (take this with a grain of salt, I am not bilingual and this is my best interpretation of how to translate these results). Obviously different setups will yield different results, and as always YMMV. One results cannot speak to the overall performance of a product.

No worries, I did not take any of the statements as insult.

Based on the picture provided, the AXP-90 performs worse than the BR v2. If the set up does not mimic a ventilated panel (like DANCASE) you can expect it to do worse due to turbulence.

This forum can take a very technical turn, and a lot of your statements were unsubstantiated. For example "thermal mass" which I'm assuming is heat capacity * mass, doesn't matter after the cooler reaches equilibrium, which is very quickly for small coolers.

It is OKAY to suggest other alternatives and compare them, but if you make claims, you need to substantiate them. Your recent source contradicts your claims.