Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
To go back to the vent filter point, I recently drew and rendered how the filters might look with the whole assembly.

It's high up in my priority list to test thermals with and without filters when I receive the prototype.

Reactions: stree and Phuncz

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
This is an awesome freakin design. I'm a backer of the Dan a4, however this case definitely tickles my fancy. The one concern I have is the flex atx psu. Do you know of an, at least, 400 watt psu that is modular and supports a gpu for consumer purchase? If so, I'm definitely on board with this design, sign me up.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks! The availability of the FlexATX form factor PSUs is definitely lacking right now. And one of the goals of this case is to give them a push towards consumer builds.

The current front runners are a 300W modular unit from Seasonic, and a 500W non-modular unit from FSP.

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
The parts I was waiting for came today!

Specs to be tested:
i5-6400
GTX 970
8GB ram
Seasonic 300W Flex ATX

Putting it together this weekend!

Reactions: Ceros_X and K888D

makethingz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 19, 2016
Since the 500W from FSP is still unattainable, don't forget the FSP 400W Flex ATX Gold non-modular, 150mm length. I was going through the process on buying one today, it was really hard to get it shipped down under for a reasonable price. Ended up buying one on eBay for ~$170 AUD

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Looking forward to seeing your case built up!

Is that a GTX 970? Do you know what it measures from the bottom edge of the PCIe connector to the top of the PEG connector?

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
The parts I was waiting for came today!

Specs to be tested:
i5-6400
GTX 970
8GB ram
Seasonic 300W Flex ATX

Putting it together this weekend!

Good luck, this looks to be the smallest console killer possible. Maybe do a youtube build guide on the prototype to start building some hype?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Since the 500W from FSP is still unattainable, don't forget the FSP 400W Flex ATX Gold non-modular, 150mm length. I was going through the process on buying one today, it was really hard to get it shipped down under for a reasonable price. Ended up buying one on eBay for ~$170 AUD

iFreilicht is communicating with FSP to see if we can get a groupbuy going for the FSP 500W. No date is promised yet, but it is something that's being worked on.

Looking forward to seeing your case built up!

Is that a GTX 970? Do you know what it measures from the bottom edge of the PCIe connector to the top of the PEG connector?

If I remember correctly, this card is 121mm from PCIe connector to PEG connector, the same measurement for the length of the add-in card bracket. I can measure and take a pic of it this weekend.

EDIT:

Good luck, this looks to be the smallest console killer possible. Maybe do a youtube build guide on the prototype to start building some hype?

For sure! I will be starting a youtube channel and other social media stuff soon to try to get some interest and feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Ok I finally finished building the system and took a series of shots while doing it!

I checked that it was booting and everything was in order. However, I cannot test it for now.

I have to tear it back down, because I have to bring in the case to the manufacturer tomorrow to have them smooth out some jagged edges left when they were doing the cuts.

So once I get the case back smoothed out, I will build it up again. Then I will start testing.

For now, hope you enjoy the build process shots!

(Edit: uhhh the forum's imgur album embed looks a bit wonky. I'll see how I can fix it up later tonight)
(for now, use the album link imgur.com/a/dkJrX/)

Last edited:

makethingz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 19, 2016
Great seeing this come to life in alu!
Is that little bow on the side panels? What thickness of aluminium did you choose? Just wondering cause I'm starting on a aluminium scratch built case aswell. I'm looking at what thicknesses are possible without creating flanges for rigidity

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
Man, great design. I don't know how much smaller you can get before it becomes a laptop. Hopefully this will garner some support and backing for a modular flex atx psu which supports a gpu. As an active duty Navy man, this setup would be awesome to take on the ship when underway. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Ceros_X and Hahutzy

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
without creating flanges for rigidity

Flanges are usually not just used to make the case more rigid, but because you need them for mounting the side-panels.

If you wanted to avoid flanges, anything from 3.5mm to 10mm should be thick enough to drill holes into the edge and secure the panels to each other that way. I'd say 5mm panels are already very, very solid.

makethingz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 19, 2016
I was looking more in the thicknesses of between 1.2 and 2mm, indeed flanges make mounting things possible. Though is there any benefit or disadvantage of mitering an internal flange.

makethingz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 19, 2016
This is the Lian-Li PC-Q02, note how they bent flanges and mitered at 45 degrees compared to the Hutzy XS.

However, Compact Splash is same same but different. They decided to not have the internal flanges meet, I assume this is for easy of manufacture to remove need for smaller sized dies when press bending. Also assuming this case has thicker sheet metal, that's why it is possible to make the flanges not take up the entire length.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ah I see. The "connected" and mitred flanges like LianLi uses them actually require a very specific press die, so you need custom made tooling for that. I asked @dondan about this when the A4 had the front flanges showing like the Compact splash does.

Yes, it allows to use a little bit thinner material, but overall the normal rigidity benefit from flanges compared to no flanges is much higher than from these special flanges to regular flanges.

For LianLi, this special flange is important only for aesthetic reasons. As they save weight, money and production time by making the frame and shell the same part, similarly to the Comapact Splash, strain relief gaps would show on the front and top without this special technique.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Great seeing this come to life in alu!
Is that little bow on the side panels? What thickness of aluminium did you choose? Just wondering cause I'm starting on a aluminium scratch built case aswell. I'm looking at what thicknesses are possible without creating flanges for rigidity

Yes, there's some bowing in the side panels in the prototype. But the reason isn't because of the thickness. My manufacturer uses a laser cutting for the vent holes, and the heat has caused the side panels to warp. This is still an ongoing issue that I'm trying to solve with the manu, or else I would have to find a different one.

On top of that, there was a slight error in the bending process of the parts, so the screw holes are a tiny bit off for the side panels, causing it to bow more than just the warping.

In terms of alu thickness, I'm using 1.6mm, and Lian Li and Jonsbo cases usually use 1.5-1.6mm thicknesses as well.