Power Supply Huntkey HK400-92FP FLEX PSU Review

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I tested another FLEX PSU which might be interesting for lower end builds: The Huntkey HK400-92FP

It is rated with 300W total (240W on the 12V Rail) and costs less than EUR 35,- via Taobao / Superbuy (plus shipping).

Please note that it does only work with 220V AC!

Build Quality: Huntkey is a well known OEM supplier for LENOVO, HP, and other big players. So no bad surprises when I opened it up.

Airflow and fan noise: The 4020 fan sits inside but blows hot air out from the back of the PSU which makes sense. The fan is temperature load controlled and stays almost silent under light to medium load. At higher loads the fan starts to get noisy. Similar like the fans on my GPU when gaming.

Load and safety testing: I was able to pull up to 28A from the 12V rail (336W) before the PSU shut itself down due to OC or OT protection. After removing it from the mains for 10 minutes it came back on normal as you would expect from a good PSU.

If you are going to build something with up to 65W CPU plus 125W GPU this FLEX PSU is worth a look and personally I would choose this over any of those no-name FLEX PSUs which are selling for similar prices on Taobao/Aliexpress.

Link:

Last edited:

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
The fan is temperature controlled and stays almost silent under light to medium load. At higher loads the fan starts to get noisy.
Good review, this PSU seems solid. Is the fan header from this 2-pin / 3-pin / 4-pin? My Metalfish 500W Flex PSU has a 2-pin fan, and the fan speed seems to be propotional to the power load, so it's not a PWM control and probably no temperature sensor anywhere. Must be a direct voltage / amperage control loop in variation with power loads? Don't know if it's the same with this Huntkey unit and most other Flex PSUs?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Good review, this PSU seems solid. Is the fan header from this 2-pin / 3-pin / 4-pin? My Metalfish 500W Flex PSU has a 2-pin fan, and the fan speed seems to be propotional to the power load, so it's not a PWM control and probably no temperature sensor anywhere. Must be a direct voltage / amperage control loop in variation with power loads? Don't know if it's the same with this Huntkey unit and most other Flex PSUs?

It's two wire. I guess the fan could also be controlled by the output load. Most FLEX PSUs are like this. So far I've only seen server PSUs which actually have a temp probe attached to the heatsinks.

JackEddyfier

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 1, 2023
I currently have a Lenovo M700 SFF PC with Huntkey HK310-71PP, 210W, SFF PSU, (Size: 15×8×6.3 cm) with only 2 cables to the MoBo: 9-pin and 4-pin.

Can someone - who has this PSU - confirm that this HK400-92FP is larger, and too big to fit my case?