Power Supply Flex ATX Additional Cooling?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
For the initial build in my MT4S case from @CC Ricers, I used an FSP 270W Flex ATX PSU which gets really noisy with a nasty tone when I'm running a game on the i5 4690 / GTX 1080Ti 1050Ti in it.

The FSP 270W Flex has a 40mm intake fan at the cable end, pushing air through the body and out of the back grille.

From what I have read, replacement 40mm fans are not a magic cure sadly, and I don't have the budget currently for a bigger and quieter Flex PSU.

Would a 'pull' 40mm fan on the rear outlet help matters? I'm happy to experiment and live with a ghetto solution.

At the moment, I'm feeling like I've gone too small at 4.5L, and should have chosen something a bit bigger that takes an SFX PSU.

Last edited:

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Have you considered buying an Enhance 7660b?

Adding another fan will certainly improve thermals but will increase noise as the fan curve is based off of load rather than temperature. That's why I suggest the 7660b as it's rated for 600w, the load is usually around 50% depending on setup which results in low RPM fan speed and 90%+ effiency.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Second that, you're really on the edge of overloading that psu with a 1080ti, of course its loud. Changing to a slower fan is just going to cause thermal shutdown or worse.

I'd recommend the Enhance 7660b as well.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks guys, if I'd got what I said I had, I'd agree 100%, wouldn't even attempt that combo to be honest.
I just re read what I wrote and realise there's a typo.... I have a more sensible GTX 1050Ti in the 4.5L case, I'm not that mad!!!

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
If you have some room to offset the PSU towards the front of the case, have a look at my Minicube build for a 60mm BlackSilentPro fan replacement with duct.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks @BaK, I will take a look at yoiur build. I have very little room up front. I don't mind even having one externally if it helps.
I did wonder about seeing if there was room for 2x 40mm fans to blow down into new cutouts in the PSU case too.

Last edited: