Shiracco

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Nov 24, 2018
Hey guys, I was wondering whether or not an HDPLEX 400 could power a R9 Nano adequately. The form factor of the card is perfect for an S4 mini brickless, but I am worried about the power consumption of the Nano, from what I have read it consumes under 200w normally, but Josh commented that it can peak at up to 700w.

Should an HDPLEX 400 DC-DC and HDPLEX 400 AC-DC be able to power a R9 Nano and Ryzen 5 1600?

Also does the HDPLEX 400 AC-DC come with a socket for a cord that goes from the wall to power supply, or do I need to attach my own? Thanks.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
According to Larry at HDPlex the unit passes his R9 Nano test which makes me think that yes you can run the R9 Nano on this (albeit likely at the upper end of the unit's capcity).

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
Bumping this because I would also like to know if the AC-DC comes with a power cord.
AFAIK all I would to buy is the DC-ATX and AC-DC and I'm all set, right?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
No it doesn't come with AC cable from wall to the socket.

Cause the plug's different in every country you know... And most people that had a computer would probably have one lying around anyways.

Had to throw away my AC cable the other day... It was squished between the desk edge and the cupboard, and somehow started dropping voltages randomly.

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I am not sure if it is still current. I had HDPlex 400 + 280W industrial MeanWell AC/DC brick.
Actually Nano tripped over-current protection most likely on acdc brick during boot and I was able to turn on PC on 3-4 try. Undervolting CPU helped and fixed it but nothing I wanted to use long term.
I haven't troubleshooted it further and haven't tried Dell 330W and instead migrated to"external SFX" power source. Not nice but working.

Make sure you get strongest brick possible and in case you go with Dell 330W make sure it is genuine Dell and not copy (cheap).

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
I am not sure if it is still current. I had HDPlex 400 + 280W industrial MeanWell AC/DC brick.
Actually Nano tripped over-current protection most likely on acdc brick during boot and I was able to turn on PC on 3-4 try. Undervolting CPU helped and fixed it but nothing I wanted to use long term.
I haven't troubleshooted it further and haven't tried Dell 330W and instead migrated to"external SFX" power source. Not nice but working.

Make sure you get strongest brick possible and in case you go with Dell 330W make sure it is genuine Dell and not copy (cheap).

I think I fried my Dell 330w yesterday morning. Was running Superposition while testing out some undervolting numbers on my R9 Nano. Only problem is I have no way of telling if my Dell brick, or my hdplex 400w dc-atx, is the culprit. All I know is that the light on the Dell brick comes on when I plug it in, no light comes on when I connect the hdplex dc-atx to the Dell brick though. Going to find a psu I can use today to do some testing.