Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

nitestryker

Cable Smoosher
Dec 8, 2017
I just received my HDPlex 400W DC-DC PSU as well as the 300W ACDC PFC unit. So based on what i've read so far, i'll need to build a seperate enclosure for it to cool the 300W unit down? Or just buy the dell 330w adaptor. I plan to use a 8700K and 1080TI Mini, anyone can point me to where i can calculate if the power draw will be too much?

Reactions: Biowarejak

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
I just received my HDPlex 400W DC-DC PSU as well as the 300W ACDC PFC unit. So based on what i've read so far, i'll need to build a seperate enclosure for it to cool the 300W unit down? Or just buy the dell 330w adaptor. I plan to use a 8700K and 1080TI Mini, anyone can point me to where i can calculate if the power draw will be too much?

You won’t be able to power that combo with 330W, unfortunately.

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
GG, i already bought the gfx card but not the CPU. What would you recommend instead?

You may be able to get away with the 1080 Ti and a 65W CPU like the i5 8400. I still wouldn’t recommend that with a 330W brick, though.

It would almost certainly not be able to be stressed under full load as that would be in the ballpark of 350W.
https://outervision.com/b/LSfYPs

@Kmpkt can give some insight into the Dynamo 360 + Dynamo mini combo that could drive the 8700K and a 1080 Ti.

ari

What's an ITX?
Jan 14, 2018
I would appreciate some opinions regarding my planned S4 build (Sept preorder). I am still on the drawing board for components, but my thoughts are to include a 1060 mini GPU along with 16 GB RAM and a i5-7600. I previously read on this forum of users using a 160W HEPLEX system to power their system that is more powerful than what I'm planning.

What I'm asking is whether there would be any difference if I use the 400W versus 160W versions for my build? I don't mind spending more money for the 400W if it means that the build is quieter or cooler.

I was wondering, did you complete this build using a 160W HDPlex AC DC? issues / caveats?

I am considering powering my fanless build (CPU Core i7 7700, GPU AMD RX560 (bus-powered: 70W), 16GB DDR4, 960 EVO Pro SSD, H5 case), with an AC-DC 160W module, reusing a 400WDC-ATX module that I already have.
Reasons for 160W AC DC include size and also idle power consumption with respect to the larger AC-DC (300w) module that they offer; i'd rather use the 160W module if I could. No overclocking, main use case: linux workstation (development, darktable).

With light usage, this system consumes 60-70W. Running Furmark @1080p and Prime95/8threads torture test simultaneously for 30min, power consumption is stable at 169W. Not a normal use case at all but seems to show that the small AC DC 160W module could do the job even under extreme conditions (assuming it's specs are slighly conservative)

Advise is welcome

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Aug 7, 2017
The power consumption of your card is 250W, then you have to add the cpu tdp and a nominal 10W for mobo,ram,ssd and whatnot.

I went with a 35W cpu with this card. It allows for you to run off a ~310-330W psu without straining the psu. It also takes away some heat (that is much needed in some of these smaller cases).

d_sff

Cable Smoosher
Feb 4, 2018
Just sign up to post this. if you want to get the pick of 500w, i believe we can always use this: EUROCOM 780W AC/DC Adapter. in order to buy it we just need to sell a kidney.

Do you guys know other ac adapter between the dell 330W and this

Best regards

EDIT- i believe the plug isn't the same

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for plugging up the HDplex to the Motherboard and a GPU (no SATA drives, using M.2).
I'm on an S4 Mini case.
I see where the 24 pins go, but other than that, I'm so confused on where the three other cables go and what they plug into.

1) Dell brick power cable
2) A cable with a Y split and dual 6+2 pin connector
3) A cable with an 8pin on one end and a 4+4 pin on the other.

Last thing I want to do is fry my system. Your help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

PS: I also noticed that my copper coils are facing each other, rather than facing up. Is this a new revision?
Only reason I asked is if this unit begins making coil whine, I cannot do the Epoxy mod :-(

Last edited:

Slammer

What's an ITX?
Nov 11, 2017
In your video, I couldn't help but notice you're using a FC5 with a low profile heatsink backpacking on top of the heatpipe assembly. Very nice :thumb:

And is that an intake duct?
I have the exact same issue with my setup. ASRock Z#&) Gaming-ITX/AC mobo in an S$ Mini case. Did you ever resolve the problem? What was the cause?

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017
I'm having PSU issues but I don't know if to blame the HDPLEX 400w or the dell 330w power brick,.. is there a way to tell ?

long story:
Sometimes my system would power up just fine and run smoothly but other times when it boots it takes a significant long time to do so and eventually it would power on but the internet LAN adapter wouldn't get recognized by the system, the port doesn't receive power.
When this happens when I sub sequentially restart the system it won't boot and i have to disconnect the power cord to get it to start again. Normally after this the system would power up in a working condition.

I first thought it was a motherboard issue, maybe a CPU issue, but i RMAed both and received new ones, the problem remained ...
As a last hope i bought a normal Corsair ATX PSU to test if the PSU was at fault and ... problem solved !!!
The issue is that i don't want an ATX PSU, i need the HDPLEX + powerbrick combo.

I even bought a cheap PSU tester from amazon and both the corsair and the HDPLEX+power brick give me good readings/no faults.

I'm now gonna RMA either the HDPLEX or the powerbrick or both, Which one do you think is the problem ?is there a way to know ?

system specs:
CPU: Intel - I5 8600k (coffee lake)
CPU cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L
Mobo: Asrock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Ram: Kingston - HyperX fury black 16gb (2x8) DDR4-2666
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC
Intake fan: Prolimatech - Ultra sleek vertex 14
Exhaust fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM
PSU: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX + Dell 330W power brick
Case: Lazer3D LZ7

thanks for the help

edit: apologies, I didn't take the time to read the many pages of discussion before posting ... now that I did, I realize the issue has been already discussed and most likely be caused by the HDPLEX. thanks anyways :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I'm having PSU issues but I don't know if to blame the HDPLEX 400w or the dell 330w power brick,.. is there a way to tell ?

long story:
Sometimes my system would power up just fine and run smoothly but other times when it boots it takes a significant long time to do so and eventually it would power on but the internet LAN adapter wouldn't get recognized by the system, the port doesn't receive power.
When this happens when I sub sequentially restart the system it won't boot and i have to disconnect the power cord to get it to start again. Normally after this the system would power up in a working condition.

I first thought it was a motherboard issue, maybe a CPU issue, but i RMAed both and received new ones, the problem remained ...
As a last hope i bought a normal Corsair ATX PSU to test if the PSU was at fault and ... problem solved !!!
The issue is that i don't want an ATX PSU, i need the HDPLEX + powerbrick combo.

I even bought a cheap PSU tester from amazon and both the corsair and the HDPLEX+power brick give me good readings/no faults.

I'm now gonna RMA either the HDPLEX or the powerbrick or both, Which one do you think is the problem ?is there a way to know ?

system specs:
CPU: Intel - I5 8600k (coffee lake)
CPU cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L
Mobo: Asrock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Ram: Kingston - HyperX fury black 16gb (2x8) DDR4-2666
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC
Intake fan: Prolimatech - Ultra sleek vertex 14
Exhaust fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM
PSU: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX + Dell 330W power brick
Case: Lazer3D LZ7

thanks for the help

edit: apologies, I didn't take the time to read the many pages of discussion before posting ... now that I did, I realize the issue has been already discussed and most likely be caused by the HDPLEX. thanks anyways :-)

Can you elaborate on your findings? That'd help a lot of us here.

icekxg

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
Hi guys! Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I've been reading through this forum and this seems to be the best place to post this. I have the following setup:

CASE: S4 Mini Skyreach
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270i
GRAPHICS CARD: ZOTAC GTX 1080 ti 11GB GDDR5X (ZT-P10810G-10P)
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 65W
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9I LGA115X
DDR4 RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 2400 F4-2400C15D-32GTZR
M.2: Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB
SSD STORAGE: 2 x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D
POWER SUPPLY: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX nanoATX Series
POWER SUPPLY: DELL 330W AC Adapter

My system keeps shutting down under heavy load. When gaming, system turns off about 10-15min in. Am I not getting enough power with this setup? Or is it possible my HDPLEX or Dell brick is no good?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Hi guys! Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I've been reading through this forum and this seems to be the best place to post this. I have the following setup:

My system keeps shutting down under heavy load. When gaming, system turns off about 10-15min in. Am I not getting enough power with this setup? Or is it possible my HDPLEX or Dell brick is no good?
I don't how much you've been reading the forum... but it's been said in few places here and there - 330W is not nearly enough for 1080 ti. 500W is more like it. Your system overall will pull ~450W at peak.

Your options are;
- Get those big noisy eurocom bricks,
- Undervolt/underclock your gpu,
- Do a dual psu with dynamo 360+160 (but you already have hdplex hifi, so that's redundant)

And that's just power. I don't want to imagine your thermals - but then again your gpu might thermal throttle before your psu trips.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I don't how much you've been reading the forum... but it's been said in few places here and there - 330W is not nearly enough for 1080 ti. 500W is more like it. Your system overall will pull ~450W at peak.

Your options are;
- Get those big noisy eurocom bricks,
- Undervolt/underclock your gpu,
- Do a dual psu with dynamo 360+160 (but you already have hdplex hifi, so that's redundant)

And that's just power. I don't want to imagine your thermals - but then again your gpu might thermal throttle before your psu trips.

I'd have to agree here, although I'd argue that you're looking at more like a 375W peak, 425W safe minimum PSU.
The 360 + 160 PSU combo should be a great solution for you. You're just going to have to deal with two AC-DC power bricks...
Edit:
If you really wanted to push it as hard as you can without swapping PSUs, you could trade in the i7-7700 for an i7-7700T and undervolt the GTX 1080 ti. That should get you in the 330W ballpark. @Josh | NFC says these picoPSU setups tend to be capable of more than their stated peak.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Well, no miracle here.

Your GTX 1080ti is sucking like 250-320W depending on your overclocking...alone, your gpu is simply able to overheat your psu (hdplex+dell 330W) devices.

As a simple solution, try to lower power limit of your gpu (maybe 80%), and see any progress.

ps : even dual dc-dc hdplex 160W+400W should struggle as GTX1080ti is VERY power hungry. I'm not sure of GTX 1080ti power peak.