Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
To give you another example on the difference between a Kill-A-Watt readout and an known peak, running a 7700K and 1080 stress test on the HDPlex 300W AC-DC had a peak reading of 305W from the wall but I repeatedly ran into OCP at 400W.

Have you noticed any clicking sounds from the 300W when it is near maximum output? I think that is what I am hearing. Also mine runs pretty hot, without airflow the surface becomes too hot to touch. I'm assuming this degrades performance some, but it still seems to be good for around 300 watts even at this temperature.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
At 1.5L volume it's also quite the brick.
Do you think you would be able to wire it to the HDPlex 400 somehow? The brick has an 8 pin molex while the HDPlex is 6. Do you just drop off one pair of Vin and Vout? Could you splice a better connector in between that would support the S4 Mini, similar to the GUnique?

Edit: Sorry for the ranting list of questions!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Hooks up really simply! My only question is...are you planning a S4 MINI Crossfire setup? XD
Ha! If only half-height cards supported SLI, with bifurication, maybe it would fit! Not sure if you saw my video I posted earlier, but my system keeps crashing on the Dell 330 watt brick. Even tried a new brick, same problem. This happens specifically with World of Warcraft at really any graphics settings (but Overwatch maxed out works fine....). So besides the Voodoo, GUnique, or that Eurocom monster not sure completely what to do. Just going from cheap to more expensive until something works.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If I could plan how I would hook that thing up to my HDPlex.... I might.

Pretty sure you could just buy a compatible 4 Pin DIN off of Digikey or Mouser and rig it up to the 6 pin V-IN on the HDPlex. Shouldn't be overly difficult. I'm sure someone here could give you the most efficient pinout.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ha! If only half-height cards supported SLI, with bifurication, maybe it would fit! Not sure if you saw my video I posted earlier, but my system keeps crashing on the Dell 330 watt brick. Even tried a new brick, same problem. This happens specifically with World of Warcraft at really any graphics settings (but Overwatch maxed out works fine....). So besides the Voodoo, GUnique, or that Eurocom monster not sure completely what to do. Just going from cheap to more expensive until something works.

Can you send me an email with all the data you have so far? I'd like to test and confirm wether this is a hardware limitation, software bug, or your particular brick (or a combination of this).

Thanks!

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
Slightly off-topic. A couple days after my hdplex 400w turned up, so did my dell 330w adapter. However I am concerned my adapter (purchased on amazon) may not be genuine. The biggest alarm for me is what seem to be a lack of a serial number sticker on the top of the unit. Anyone with a genuine unit able to shed any light on this for me?

Example of the label that appears to me missing from mine.

Mine: https://i.imgur.com/HQHdJsp.jpg

I have not plugged it into the hdplex just in case it's a fake, don't want to risk causing any damage.

Last edited:

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
Slightly off-topic. A couple days after my hdplex 400w turned up, so did my dell 330w adapter. However I am concerned my adapter (purchased on amazon) may not be genuine. The biggest alarm for me is what seem to be a lack of a serial number sticker on the top of the unit. Anyone with a genuine unit able to shed any light on this for me?

https://i.imgur.com/HQHdJsp.jpg

I have not plugged it into the hdplex just in case it's a fake, don't want to risk causing any damage.

Legit

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
I've been searching for powerful bricks too.
I've found this:
24v 17a 400w ac dc power supply
Which they sell at alibaba. It seems the lowest quantity you can get is 100 of those... shame.
The guys at HD PLEX told me that if you push "Active air flow" to the 300W AC-DC brick they have, it will support 400w. The webpage says 19v 20A (380W).
Maybe this could work better.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Both of those units are larger in volume than an sfx power supply, and in the case of the second one more expensive. Two possible alternatives are to get a modded brick from @guryhwa or buy an sfx psu and use the 12 volt rail to power the HDPlex.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Both of those units are larger in volume than an sfx power supply, and in the case of the second one more expensive. Two possible alternatives are to get a modded brick from @guryhwa or buy an sfx psu and use the 12 volt rail to power the HDPlex.

Fair enough, is there any such guide that describes how to wire an SFX 12 volt rail to the HDPlex? Or just info in general?

Edit: looks like the HDPlex only supports 16v-24v..

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
The guys at HD PLEX told me that if you push "Active air flow" to the 300W AC-DC brick they have, it will support 400w. The webpage says 19v 20A (380W).
Maybe this could work better.
If I had to pick, I think this is my favorite idea so far. Seems a fairly simple matter to make a new enclosure (3D Printed?) for it with the plug and a 40mm fan. Has anyone done a teardown of the unit and have some pics they might share? Might design a mockup of the idea

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
If I had to pick, I think this is my favorite idea so far. Seems a fairly simple matter to make a new enclosure (3D Printed?) for it with the plug and a 40mm fan. Has anyone done a teardown of the unit and have some pics they might share? Might design a mockup of the idea

That sounds awesome to me.