Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I'm kinda bummed that the unit is 160mm now, as it kinda messes with the layout of my case a bit. Just a tiny bit though.

Question for S4 mini owners, would the new length interfere with the GPU cutout on the front of the case behind the bezel?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I'm kinda bummed that the unit is 160mm now, as it kinda messes with the layout of my case a bit. Just a tiny bit though.

Question for S4 mini owners, would the new length interfere with the GPU cutout on the front of the case behind the bezel?

I did a 3D mockup with the new dimensions (earlier in the thread), and no, it did not seem like it would interfere.

Reactions: GentlemanShark

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I have a question about the new HDPLEX-400W If I had @Josh | NFC custom-cut my PSU cables for my S4 Mini for the HDPLEX-300... can i upgrade to the 400W unit without have to get new cables?

I'm seriously SICK AND TIRED of the coil whine coming from my HDPLEX, it's obnoxious... I'm going to try the Epoxy trick that @Zero used here... but if that doesn't help enough I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go for the HDPLEX-400 next year once I have enough money.... :(

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I have a question about the new HDPLEX-400W If I had @Josh | NFC custom-cut my PSU cables for my S4 Mini for the HDPLEX-300... can i upgrade to the 400W unit without have to get new cables?

I'm seriously SICK AND TIRED of the coil whine coming from my HDPLEX, it's obnoxious... I'm going to try the Epoxy trick that @Zero used here... but if that doesn't help enough I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go for the HDPLEX-400 next year once I have enough money.... :(
royalba asked this since he did my custom cables and wasn't able to get a hard answer. We wont know if they changed the pin-out until we have the product in hands. Let me find the post with the pin layout it looks like the PCIe is different

In case anyone hasn't already seen the new Spec page for the HDPlex 400w here is a screenshot I took with the relevant changes highlighted:
So this confirms the swap of the CPU and GPU 8pin headers, confirms a dual 6+2pin cable included, and two basically minor changes to the pinout.

As a side note, I tried asking Larry about the new "Sense GND" pin on the PCIe header but only got the answer that the 400w will come with a new PCIe cable that is different from the one for the 300w. So I guess its one of those wait and see type of things.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Do we have any

Wouldn't you have to get different cables due to the current set you have are rated for 300w, not 400w?

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017

Hi Cuban, I have both the 300w HDPlex and the 400w prototype and can confirm they are pin compatible. The earlier 250w model used a different pinout for the 24-pin motherboard cable, but these two seem consistent.

Edit: Oh, you're asking about the cables coming from the PSU... yes if it's the 6-pin input, that should be overkill for 500w. The 250w HDPlex used a 4-pin which didn't carry enough amps past 300w.

It doesn't really mess with me too bad, but I'm using a reference 1080ti; I'm not sure if a "taller" GPU would hit into the HDPlex 400w. Although, the depth of the vandal switch is causing issues for me; if the vandal switch was more shallow it would help with things. If you locate the power switch somewhere other than the default cutout on the S4, then there's lots of room for the HDPlex 400w in that area.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are the CPU and PCIe connectors pinned out the same on the 400W?

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Are the CPU and PCIe connectors pinned out the same on the 400W?

Yes. The 400w has two 6+2 PCIe plugs for the GPU side, where the 300w had one 6-[in and one 6+8 pin.

So, you could use the 400w cables to power a custom 1080ti or a Radeon Vega that has dual 8-pin.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, the pinout on the spec page on the website says differently. So I'd caution anyone buying a production unit to double-check.

Reactions: Craxas

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Hmm, the pinout on the spec page on the website says differently. So I'd caution anyone buying a production unit to double-check.

Oh, well, I'm saying this with the caveat that the final version might differ from the prototype I got.

I don't see how the pinout could be different on the CPU/GPU cables... aren't they simply 12v positive and negative?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I'd Skype him (name: "hdplex") and confirm then... I was using both sets of cables interchangeably on my 300w and my 400w prototype and it was fine.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, so what Larry said is that the Sense GND pin in the current diagram for the 400W DC-ATX is not actually wired up.

So cables made for the 300W DC-ATX may or may not work depending on if one of the 12V wires is located on that pin (which is 12V on the CPU connector for both and was 12V on the 300W).

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Ok, so what Larry said is that the Sense GND pin in the current diagram for the 400W DC-ATX is not actually wired up.

So cables made for the 300W DC-ATX may or may not work depending on if one of the 12V wires is located on that pin (which is 12V on the CPU connector for both and was 12V on the 300W).

Sorry I'm late to the party but if I understand you correctly the Sense GND pin doesn't actually do anything then?

I was pretty sure that the 'new' stock cables that came with the 400w would be the same as the 300w but didn't know if the new Sense GND pin could be connected to in order to avoid a double-crimp for the PCIe cable.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com

The cables for the 300w should be compatible pinout-wise but because the CPU and GPU headers were switched the needed lengths are different and the CPU/GPU cables for the 300w will be too long.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Pretty much all video cards and power supplies just use ground instead of a proper sensing circuit for that pin. So you won't be able to avoid the doubled wire for an 8-pin PCIe connector with the 400W DC-ATX either.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Pretty much all video cards and power supplies just use ground instead of a proper sensing circuit for that pin. So you won't be able to avoid the doubled wire for an 8-pin PCIe connector with the 400W DC-ATX either.
Gotchya, I kinda figured as much but I was hoping I was wrong since it would've been nice. Thanks for confirming.

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
Would the HDPLEX NanoATX 300W AC-DC paired with 400W HiFi DC-ATX sufficient enough to run 1080/Ti or would it be better just to get a Dell/HP 300W brick?