Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

VitoHGrind

Chassis Packer
May 8, 2017
Placed an order as well, now to just look for a suitable brick to pair it with. Are 330w~350w the highest oem bricks out at the moment?

Linus was able to run an i7 7700k and Zotac GTX 1080 in an s4 mini using the Dell 330W brick and the HDPlex 300W. Yes, there'll be some untapped headroom left on the hdplex, but unless you're trying for something truly amazing, the Dell or HP bricks should be enough.

Reactions: cj360

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Ordered. Now to decide if I want to eBay a Dell adapter, or buy directly from them for peace of mind. The price difference is pretty big though...

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Is SFX/ATX mounting required for S4?
No it is not. I really don't understand the need for a sfx mount because if your case already has the spot for an sfx I would just buy one of those power supplies instead of a DC-atx solution. Just my two cents though.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@DocH : Two examples. HG Osmi. Ugly thermals. Swapping out the sfx psu allowed a larger CPU cooler to be installed and drop temperatures greatly

Node 202. Once again. Crap thermals. HDPlex allowed me to install and AIO in the lower portion.

Reactions: nix

Newty

Case Bender
New User
May 25, 2017
I would appreciate some opinions regarding my planned S4 build (Sept preorder). I am still on the drawing board for components, but my thoughts are to include a 1060 mini GPU along with 16 GB RAM and a i5-7600. I previously read on this forum of users using a 160W HEPLEX system to power their system that is more powerful than what I'm planning.

What I'm asking is whether there would be any difference if I use the 400W versus 160W versions for my build? I don't mind spending more money for the 400W if it means that the build is quieter or cooler.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I would appreciate some opinions regarding my planned S4 build (Sept preorder). I am still on the drawing board for components, but my thoughts are to include a 1060 mini GPU along with 16 GB RAM and a i5-7600. I previously read on this forum of users using a 160W HEPLEX system to power their system that is more powerful than what I'm planning.

What I'm asking is whether there would be any difference if I use the 400W versus 160W versions for my build? I don't mind spending more money for the 400W if it means that the build is quieter or cooler.

You could run the i5 and GTX1060 on the HDPLEX 160 from what I've heard. You may run into some power issues if you plan on overclocking. If you're an overclocking enthusiast I would suggest anything above 240 watts of power. I know because I ran into issues with the 160XT running an i7 and 1060...which when it hit a certain wattage would shut off.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So apparently @Zero had a prototype HDPLEX-400 sent to him and he even modded his HDPLEX-300 to reduce coil whine (with success) and even compared to the 300 with HALF the coil whine, the 400 according to him: was inaudible with regard to coil whine. THAT MEANS NO COIL WHINE with a 1080 or 1080 Ti! :D

Any new S4 mini customers should totally get one of these HDPLEX-400s, they are going to make the S4 mini builds run even quieter when at full load.

You can preorder an HDPLEX-400 here: http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-400W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

Last edited:

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
So apparently @Zero had a prototype HDPLEX-400 sent to him and he even modded his HDPLEX-300 to reduce coil whine (with success) and even compared to the 300 with HALF the coil whine, the 400 according to him: was inaudible with regard to coil whine. THAT MEANS NO COIL WHINE with a 1080 or 1080 Ti! :D

Any new S4 mini customers should totally get one of these HDPLEX-400s, they are going to make the S4 mini builds run even quieter when at full load.

you somehow convinced me to purchase a second one for no reason

Reactions: CubanLegend

erictc5924

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2017

I had using SFX-L from cooler master 500w to power my build and test the total watt pull, and also using hdplex 160w + Dell 330 power brick to test total watt pull. It is identical, while gaming 190-210 watt

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason all external bricks are 16-19v and only go up to 330W is because they are all meant for laptops. Clearly 12v is better, and you can go up to 500W within a fully sealed external brick. I used to think it was an engineering limitation (i.e. you need a fan over 330W), but that's clearly not the case with 94%+ efficiency and larger bricks (make it huge, I don't care). They can keep units at 19v, because laptops will always be a much bigger market, but they should at least step up the wattage of bricks to 400W or 500W. There are laptops now with dual power bricks, which is ridiculous. HDPlex could make good money from selling their own external bricks in addition to their internal AC-DC, and also step up to 400W. If one guy in China can do it, why can't big companies?

Really, 400W is what you need to do a 91W CPU + 250W card and 500W is what you need for a 140W CPU + 250W card (with moderate overclocks). There's no reason why power should be a bottleneck in tiny powerhouse systems.

Last edited:

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason all external bricks are 16-19v and only go up to 330W is because they are all meant for laptops. Clearly 12v is better, and you can go up to 500W within a fully sealed external brick. I used to think it was an engineering limitation (i.e. you need a fan over 330W), but that's clearly not the case with 94%+ efficiency and larger bricks (make it huge, I don't care). They can keep units at 19v, because laptops will always be a much bigger market, but they should at least step up the wattage of bricks to 400W or 500W. There are laptops now with dual power bricks, which is ridiculous. HDPlex could make good money from selling their own external bricks in addition to their internal AC-DC, and also step up to 400W. If one guy in China can do it, why can't big companies?

Really, 400W is what you need to do a 91W CPU + 250W card and 500W is what you need for a 140W CPU + 250W card (with moderate overclocks). There's no reason why power should be a bottleneck in tiny powerhouse systems.

I believe the reason (besides less coil whine and better headroom) for HDplex to release such a PSU is that theyre looking into making a brick to accompany it but just arent ready yet. Larry knows theres a huge market for it, and more money, more business. Maybe in a while we'll see some

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I don't really want to heat this debate, but I agree that 12v is better suited for a desktop system. I personally don't receive coilwhine from my PSU, but it isn't HDPLEX. With that said I also speculate while one person from China can do it, but not big companies.

On the topic of the HDPLEX 400 Watt, where and how do you get a 400 Watt consumer power brick? I haven't seen any.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
With that said I also speculate while one person from China can do it, but not big companies.

Because the one guy can afford to sell just a few hundred of units and have it worth his while, but a company like FSP needs to do at least 10,000 units for a new PSU.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Because the one guy can afford to sell just a few hundred of units and have it worth his while, but a company like FSP needs to do at least 10,000 units for a new PSU.

I can somewhat understand that, however if a company were to sell what the guy made that was worth his while, wouldn't that be good too? Then again, the guy wouldn't have anything new to show. Regardless, I feel that there's a bit of an issue either way. It would be nice to have certain items, but usually there is a premium charged on it. Most of the time I feel it is unnecessary. But I believe this discussion would be better suited for a different topic, probably off topic lol

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Very good points guys. I think a 500W brick is totally doable, but it doesn't exist because there's no market for it yet (going back to James' point). But now that laptops exist with dual 150W GTX 1080 cards in SLI that need dual power bricks, I think that's going to drive the market and we'll see at least one manufacturer do a custom brick for MSI or Acer or something. Otherwise, I think enthusiast-level desktop machines with external bricks are still extremely rare, let alone ones that need more than 330W. But HDPlex is doing well in that space, so if anyone is going to profit from it, it's them.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Dell 330W 19V is your best choice. HP 350W also works if you can find it.