Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Ima just gonna leave this here...

Ok THIS looks F*****G beautiful! Now I just need (graphical and final and pricing!) confirmation itll fit with that heatsink. Matches my grey everything build

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Ok THIS looks F*****G beautiful! Now I just need (graphical and final and pricing!) confirmation itll fit with that heatsink. Matches my grey everything build
I agree it looks great. I'm a little worried though because I have a lot of cables running in front of the hd Plex 300 because of where the CPU and GPU output is.

I wonder if they will keep the same cables layout so I can keep my custom cables if I wanted to upgrade.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There is no change in height or width of this unit when compared to V3. The only change in dimensions is the length which is 10mm longer. Also the 8 pin EPS and 8 pin PCIe plugs have been changed for better cable routing. The EPS is now on the far left of the board with the SATA 4 pin and the 8 pin PCIe is to the immediate left of the 24 pin ATX cable so it is closer to where the GPU should be (especially in the S4 mini). The layout on this unit is pretty much ideal for S4 builders now.

Chongker

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2017
Ima just gonna leave this here...

Holy **** that looks good. Between this new board and the new Zotac 1080 Ti Mini that was just announced, is my S4 mini due an upgrade from its 1070 in the not so distant future? Just need to find an appropriate AC-DC brick, don't think the Dell 330W will cut it in this case

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
There is no change in height or width of this unit when compared to V3. The only change in dimensions is the length which is 10mm longer. Also the 8 pin EPS and 8 pin PCIe plugs have been changed for better cable routing. The EPS is now on the far left of the board with the SATA 4 pin and the 8 pin PCIe is to the immediate left of the 24 pin ATX cable so it is closer to where the GPU should be (especially in the S4 mini). The layout on this unit is pretty much ideal for S4 builders now.
Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know if they changed the exact pin layout for the 24 pin though? Or if they just moved the positions on the board

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pinouts should be exactly the same.

Just need to find an appropriate AC-DC brick, don't think the Dell 330W will cut it in this case

I'm going to be doing a custom enclosure using the HDPlex 300W AC-DC to show how it can be used as a brick for the S4. While the rated wattage is lower, it actually has much better capacity than the 330W Dell to handle spiking and overcurrent. I've been running it with the Zotac 1080 and 7700K running Furmark GPU Bench and Prime95 Blender respectively and it's able to ALMOST handle that. Considering those two benchmarks together draw considerably more power that a real-world use scenario, the unit should be able to handle the 1080ti combo. It should also be a significant bit smaller and lighter than the Dell.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Pinouts should be exactly the same.

I'm going to be doing a custom enclosure using the HDPlex 300W AC-DC to show how it can be used as a brick for the S4. While the rated wattage is lower, it actually has much better capacity than the 330W Dell to handle spiking and overcurrent. I've been running it with the Zotac 1080 and 7700K running Furmark GPU Bench and Prime95 Blender respectively and it's able to ALMOST handle that. Considering those two benchmarks together draw considerably more power that a real-world use scenario, the unit should be able to handle the 1080ti combo. It should also be a significant bit smaller and lighter than the Dell.

Any chance you'd be willing to make extra enclosures? I have no idea why HDplex hasnt done this already

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm having it custom done in Mahogany to match my custom bezel. That being said the guy making my bezel said he'd be willing to make more if people want them, so maybe he'd do more boxes as well?

Reactions: Coach_Rico

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
No more awkward 24 pin cabling in small cases!

Seriously though, the Dynamo is actually meant to be a much more versatile power solution than anything else in that you can also plug in and 19V based device of which the second DC unit is only one. It will also make Thin ITX, Mini-STX, Micro STX and NUC based projects very easy. It's also very much designed for powering a eGPU based application. As an example you could buy an Akitio low power GPU enclosure and mod it to run a 1080 ti.
I see. it's more versatile for sure, but for S4 Mini customers the HDPLEX-400 is looking like the perfect choice
for those in an S4 Mini with a 7700k and a 1060-1070 or 1080 and 1080ti... All we'd need to do is order a Dell-330w power brick, or for the 1080ti customers, a modded G-unique 400W Dell power brick from @guryhwa and we're all set. :D Now to wait for release, pricing, and the S4 mini fitment review.

Also, how exactly were the 2x 8-pin plugs been modified, were the pin orders modified or where the plugs positions moved on the HDPLEX-400 itself, vs the 300? We need a comprehensive review of this thing, fast!

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
for those in an S4 Mini with a 7700k and a 1060-1070 or 1080 and 1080ti... All we'd need to do is order a Dell-330w power brick, or for the 1080ti customers, a modded G-unique 400W Dell power brick from @guryhwa and we're all set. :D

I dont think Gury's 12v only 400w bricks will work. Besides, those require a different plug than the one the HDPlex uses, so we'd have to modify our S4 minis.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I dont think Gury's 12v only 400w bricks will work. Besides, those require a different plug than the one the HDPlex uses, so we'd have to modify our S4 minis.
wait what? I feel like im missing something that I should know... 12v only 400w bricks? I thought they were modified Dell-330W bricks?

Also regarding the plug, isn't it possible to ask him to make a power brick with the specific plug that we'd need to be compatible with the HDPLEX-400?

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
wait what? I feel like im missing something that I should know... 12v only 400w bricks? I thought they were modified Dell-330W bricks?

Also regarding the plug, isn't it possible to ask him to make a power brick with the specific plug that we'd need to be compatible with the HDPLEX-400?

Gurys mods to the 330w bricks are done to fit his 12v psu requirements but apparently he can do other voltages so Im not so sure on that one. Per his own specifications he claims that for 300w and upwards its best to use either gx16 connectors or his 6 pin solution. He doesnt offer something like HDPs 7.5x5.5mm circuit thingy (he does offer the connector tho but he doesnt recommend it for 300w+ for heat reasons). Might wanna shoot him a PM to confirm

Reactions: CubanLegend

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
@guryhwa mods both the 220W 12VDC and the 330W 19VDC Dell bricks. The 12V bricks he can get up to 400W (with 500W peak) and the 19V bricks he can get up to 500W.

There is a small internal HP 200W 12VDC unit he is modding up to 300W. He can also modify the ACBEL 450W 12VDC MacPro PSU, but that will need at least a minimal amount of active cooling.

Just be aware that the barrel connectors are not suitable for the higher currents pushed out by the modified bricks. He offers a range of alternate connectors to use, though.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
Gurys mods to the 330w bricks are done to fit his 12v psu requirements but apparently he can do other voltages so Im not so sure on that one. Per his own specifications he claims that for 300w and upwards its best to use either gx16 connectors or his 6 pin solution. He doesnt offer something like HDPs 7.5x5.5mm circuit thingy (he does offer the connector tho but he doesnt recommend it for 300w+ for heat reasons). Might wanna shoot him a PM to confirm

i can offer you special 8pin DCjack with bracket(use the rectangle opening to put a 8pin dcjack)

or GX-12 400watts dcjack
fit for S4 mini now,

and with that special brakcet for S4 mini,i can also make 12pin 16pin connector for you ,so 400watts is not its limit~
every thing you have to do is to fasten the brakcet (2 M3 screws) or the GX12 aviation plug.and it also has a Vdrop auto compensation function~~i spent lot of time searching how to increase the efficiency and reliability of brick,dc power transmission ,i insist on test and mod then test again on each brick,and making ervery Gunique with my own hands ,so i know how it can run well,how far it can go,i am sure to tell you,one step conversion to 12V is a better solution than any others which has a MIDDLE voltage.but honestly,12V input means much larger current,need much more copper wire,much robust connector,much high efficient circuit,much reliable components,so it is not a easy money to earn ,without compromises.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

@guryhwa's bricks are modded OEM bricks. All of the bricks paired with his units are 12 volt, however he has stated that he can mod bricks to do voltages compatible with HDPlex products.

@guryhwa mods both the 220W 12VDC and the 330W 19VDC Dell bricks. The 12V bricks he can get up to 400W (with 500W peak) and the 19V bricks he can get up to 500W.

There is a small internal HP 200W 12VDC unit he is modding up to 300W. He can also modify the ACBEL 450W 12VDC MacPro PSU, but that will need at least a minimal amount of active cooling.

Just be aware that the barrel connectors are not suitable for the higher currents pushed out by the modified bricks. He offers a range of alternate connectors to use, though.
Thanks for all the answers guys.
i can offer you special 8pin DCjack with bracket(use the rectangle opening to put a 8pin dcjack)

or GX-12 400watts dcjack
fit for S4 mini now,

and with that special brakcet for S4 mini,i can also make 12pin 16pin connector for you ,so 400watts is not its limit~
every thing you have to do is to fasten the brakcet (2 M3 screws) or the GX12 aviation plug.and it also has a Vdrop auto compensation function~~i spent lot of time searching how to increase the efficiency and reliability of brick,dc power transmission ,i insist on test and mod then test again on each brick,and making ervery Gunique with my own hands ,so i know how it can run well,how far it can go,i am sure to tell you,one step conversion to 12V is a better solution than any others which has a MIDDLE voltage.but honestly,12V input means much larger current,need much more copper wire,much robust connector,much high efficient circuit,much reliable components,so it is not a easy money to earn ,without compromises.
Great! I'll remember this post and details for when I go to upgrade to a 400W Power brick. :D