Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Just sent an email and got a response in 5 minutes. Looks like they are opening up preorders for the 400W in 10 days. And will ship from Germany mid June. Yasss.

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Still waiting on confirmation on the size and dimensions of this thing. Will it still fit in S4 (snug as a bug) like its predecessor?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's 10mm longer than the last one, so if things were tight for fit with the 300W, then there might be an issue with the S4 and this unit.

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
ah so much for compatibility.. Josh is on the helm of using the psu with his case. its always the supply.

just hoping they could just produce an extra batch of 300w. I believe it works well with the case and stable with mid to higher configs. -.- also waiting on how high will the 400w will be priced.

sigh

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Dang and I got one of the last HDPlex 300's (before the current out of stock) and it's still sitting new in it's box until my S4 arrives XD
The lower/lack of coil whine would be nice since I'm going the 1080 route.

Any idea on price? I'd likely want to take the plunge for the coil whine alone.
The coil whine I get on my system with the HDPLEX-300 and my 1080 is most likely coming from the 1080. If I were you, I'd plug it all together outside of the S4 Mini, seperate the HDPLEX-300 from the 1080min AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, run 3dmark, and plop your head inbetween the GPU and the PSU and see where the coil whine comes from.

If you did this you'd isolate where the coil whine come from, definitively, and I'd personally actually appreciate to know where that whine is coming from, since I dont plan to pull my 1080 and HDPLEX-300 out of my S4 mini ever again, lol.

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
The coil whine I get on my system with the HDPLEX-300 and my 1080 is most likely coming from the 1080. If I were you, I'd plug it all together outside of the S4 Mini, seperate the HDPLEX-300 from the 1080min AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, run 3dmark, and plop your head inbetween the GPU and the PSU and see where the coil whine comes from.

If you did this you'd isolate where the coil whine come from, definitively, and I'd personally actually appreciate to know where that whine is coming from, since I dont plan to pull my 1080 and HDPLEX-300 out of my S4 mini ever again, lol.

One way to look for noise in a situation like that is to use some type of hose. I use a couple foot long plastic pipe all the time on my truck to isolate where noise is coming from. So if you have any soft tubing or hard tubing laying around that is like a foot or two then you're golden, just hold one end up to your ear and the other you move around to find the exact location of noise.

Reactions: Biowarejak

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017

I could probably do this for you in the next week or so, I'll post up what I find out :) Just nabbed a 1080 when they dropped to $450 briefly. Awaiting delivery!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I went and did a quick sketchup of the HDPlex 400 watt dimensions inside an S4 Mini with 10mm added to the length. It still seems to have a bit of room, depending on the PCIExpress riser cable and possible power port locations.
EDIT: Got a message back from HDPlex, they have confirmed it will fit. Ports will also be in the same location as the 300 watt.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I went and did a quick sketchup of the HDPlex 400 watt dimensions inside an S4 Mini with 10mm added to the length. It still seems to have a bit of room, depending on the PCIExpress riser cable and possible power port locations.
EDIT: Got a message back from HDPlex, they have confirmed it will fit. Ports will also be in the same location as the 300 watt.
Great! So now all we need to figure out is:

How much this HDPLEX-400 will cost?
How we can use it to power a 1080 Ti mini which has 2x 8-pin GPU power?
How we get a Dell-330W Power brick modded to 400W, probably a G-Unique

Hmmm...

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Whats Dynamo? And note i mentioned 1080 Ti Mini, not 1080 mini ; )

To elaborate on @DocH 's post, I've been developing a dual DC-DC solution where the Dynamo provides 2x PCIe and SATA power to a maximum rating of 360W while also passing a 16-24V current through to the Dynamo Mini (basically a re-heatsinked and rebranded HD Plex 160W DC-ATX) to power the motherboard. It can be run with multiple AC-DC units to a maximum rated wattage of 560W.

Also I'll be finalizing the purchase of the units tomorrow with hopeful availability in August.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@Kmpkt has created an alternate solution besides the HDPlex for powering your system via two modules. It can be found here
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/kmpkt-dynamo-dc-12v.1628/
Interesting option, although I'm not personally a fan of dual-power solutions which use a DC-DC and a Pico unit to power a single system, : ( Although I do like the possibility of 560Watts of wattage headroom, dual power systems arent for me. :(

Ima just gonna leave this here...

YOoooo... HYPE! I wonder if there's clearance issues or space issues that might arise with that fat heatsink? Either way I'm excited to see this in Josh's hands so he can do a comprehensive video review (maybe?) :D

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Interesting option, although I'm not personally a fan of dual-power solutions which use a DC-DC and a Pico unit to power a single system, : ( Although I do like the possibility of 560Watts of wattage headroom, dual power systems arent for me. :(

Out of curiousity, why not?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Out of curiousity, why not?
Well, to be frank, if an HDPLEX-400 can power a 7700k, dual M.2, dual 2.5in drives, and a 1080 Ti Mini... then why not just purchase a single DC-DC unit, and an 8-pin GPU splitter as the solution? I just never understood the appeal of powering a single S4 mini system off of 2 power units... : ( It might be viable in an open-test-bench situation but probably not ideal for a daily-driver PC, it would only add additional points of failure in a system.

Don't get me wrong, I know that, back then, the old HDPLEXs were 250w had it's limitations... and then we had the 300w which can peak at 330w (on par with the dell-330 brick), so finding a high enough wattage ceiling to power a 7700k and 1080mini might have been hard before the HDPLEX-300, but not anymore since the 300 was in stock.

And I'm not even mentioning G-Unique HDPLEX-sized units that he's been making in 400/500 and 600W units which he shipps with matching-wattage modded Dell-330W power bricks as part of the purchase (which he's been making since before the HDPLEX-300 even came out), or the extremely powerful Direct-plug Pico units that G-Unique seems to make even in 400W variants somehow...

The HDPLEX-400 is exciting since it will alleviate 1080 Ti wattage concerns, but any more wattage than that can still be had with a single DC-DC unit from G-unique.

Reactions: br3nd0

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Well, to be frank, if an HDPLEX-400 can power a 7700k, dual M.2, dual 2.5in drives, and a 1080 Ti Mini... then why not just purchase a single DC-DC unit, and an 8-pin GPU splitter as the solution?

No more awkward 24 pin cabling in small cases!

Seriously though, the Dynamo is actually meant to be a much more versatile power solution than anything else in that you can also plug in and 19V based device of which the second DC unit is only one. It will also make Thin ITX, Mini-STX, Micro STX and NUC based projects very easy. It's also very much designed for powering a eGPU based application. As an example you could buy an Akitio low power GPU enclosure and mod it to run a 1080 ti.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reldey