Power Supply HDPLEX 250W GaN Passive AIO

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Wonder how these de-rate once heated up? Or if they can still deliver the rated power at their toasty temps

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Also running at ~150w load it gets very hot to the touch. I recommend not doing the "temperature touch test" if you're pulling 200-250w
That's interesting, thanks. So you'll need plenty of space in the case for passive cooling, and as little cable clutter as possible... which isn't going to be easy with that mass of cables. Or having a case fan close by.

I plan to use an old HDPlex H3 case with some adaptation to fit the GAN to the case heatsink. Sounds like it will need it...

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
@msystems I'm assuming the 250w rating takes into account the passive cooling of the unit and the toastiness should be fine.

It does have OTP and should shut off if overheated. OPP as well, I'm wondering how much power you can draw before it would shutdown. How would a water cooled HDPlex behave? 🤔

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Mine got shipped and is on its way!

Temperature testing with your fingers isn't very reliable btw, 50C could burn your skin while being perfectly fine for computer hardware. I'm sure this thing has been thoroughly tested and rated at its max output.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Indeed, it seems designed to deliver 250w to a reasonable level of toasty.

"We are working on the derating curve and will have it by mid Sep.
Right now, our test shows no derating measured for 60 degree celsius." -Larry

So while the HDplex can handle 60C it might require putting it in a strategic place or adding airflow so that doesn't heat up other things nearby too much

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
@msystems I'm assuming the 250w rating takes into account the passive cooling of the unit and the toastiness should be fine.

It does have OTP and should shut off if overheated. OPP as well, I'm wondering how much power you can draw before it would shutdown. How would a water cooled HDPlex behave? 🤔
HDPLEX Larry <larry@hdplex.com>
To: Dasboot

Tue, Sep 6 at 10:51 AM

300W is currently the OPP.
But it can support short peaks less than 10ms above 300W.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Weird. Tracking is active since Wednesday... and since Wednesday DHL says that the package has been announced and they are awaiting it.

I'm in Germany.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
National customs. DHL hasn't recieved it yet.
Weird. Tracking is active since Wednesday... and since Wednesday DHL says that the package has been announced and they are awaiting it.

I'm in Germany.
National customs. DHL hasn't recieved it yet.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Doing some benchmarking today and trying to trip OCP by running it at 250w average on sensors, so closer to 300w at the wall, but it refuses to trip.
I'm pulling up to 220w (sensor indicated) on a 3060ti at 110% power limit and 45 watts (package power sensor indicated) on a 6700k. I would have expected the GPU transients to trip it but so far it hasn't. This is really impressive just in terms of the power handling. It gets quite hot doing this and I didn't wait around to see if it causes a thermal trip, just a short test for a few minutes. Previous HDplex products were able to exceed their rating with active cooling so I'm wondering if this is the case here as well.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Doing some benchmarking today and trying to trip OCP by running it at 250w average on sensors, so closer to 300w at the wall, but it refuses to trip.
Thanks for pushing it to the limit, thus letting us know more what this new PSU is capable of!

Reactions: scatterforce

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm pulling up to 220w (sensor indicated) on a 3060ti at 110% power limit and 45 watts (package power sensor indicated) on a 6700k. I would have expected the GPU transients to trip it but so far it hasn't. This is really impressive just in terms of the power handling. It gets quite hot doing this and I didn't wait around to see if it causes a thermal trip, just a short test for a few minutes. Previous HDplex products were able to exceed their rating with active cooling so I'm wondering if this is the case here as well.

It's important to note that the power rating is for output, so whatever is pulled at the wall is (more or less) irrelevant. Your sensor readings are of far more use, even if they're inherently inaccurate. And given that it's rated for 250W continuous output I'd be very disappointed if your load tripped OCP - even if it's 220+45+20 or so for the rest of the system, that's just 14% above the rating. If OCP was set that low, you'd risk it being triggered even within the rated range, so most likely it's set well above that point.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
The fan placement is a little weird. Axial fan(?) from closed panel to open area at the ATX connections? Air channel to the closed AC wire side?

And the dimensions are difficult (specifically the length of 200mm+AC wire).

Price is suprisingly good... competitive to Flex-ATX. Just 30USD over the 250W GaN... 40mm fan vs. 40mm fan though.

Reactions: Arboreal

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
The fan placement is a little weird. Axial fan(?) from closed panel to open area at the ATX connections?

I think it's a radial fan. But I'm still not a fan of such fan setup :) Let's see what the reviews have to say.

Reactions: Arboreal