RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Very cool, love the chaining together feature being built in.
Would have loved to have this as an option when building my custom case!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I just got the email from HDPlex announcing this. The sync option to allow two of them to operate together is excellent.

I have no need for one at the moment, but it makes me want to build a system just to use it!

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
There is more news than just the 250-watt replacement, just to keep everyone informed:
Dear Customer,
Thanks for signing up for the HDPLEX 200W combo back-in-stock notification.
HDPLEX just released the world's smallest ATX PSU: the HDPLEX 250W GaN ATX PSU.
250 watt PS
This all-in-one 250W fanless ATX PSU will replace HDPLEX 200W Combo.
HDPLEX 200W ACDC is discontinued and will not be manufactured again.
HDPLEX 200W DCATX will have new version later this year to support 12V-30V input.
HDPLEX Fanless 250W GaN aio ATX PSU will start shipping next month.

Thank you!
Larry
HDPLEX LTD
More: based on my questions to Larry about 19V DC's status:
400W AC has also been discontinued and will not be manufactured again.
I will release 500W AIO GaN ATX to replace the 400w combo.
400W DCATX will still be manufactured.
On Fri, May 27, 2022
So no more 19V options at 200+ watt? So no plans to do a GAn at 19V?
So the 400 is the only 19V option and has been out of stock for some time?

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks for the update, but completely changes my new build plans for Thin ITX using an old HD Plex H3 and Asus H610T.

Have I got this correct please.? No more of this:

A new version of this one below, to support 12-30V input, but requires external power brick?

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
I love the HDPlex products and incredible customer service, and understand the need to rationalise the product range.

But if you have a 65W passive case, what are the PSU options now?

Everything appears to be pumping up towards mega-watt again... which is exactly where SFF started from: for compact, efficient, low-power computers...

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
Thanks for the update, but completely changes my new build plans for Thin ITX using an old HD Plex H3 and Asus H610T.

Have I got this correct please.? No more of this:

A new version of this one below, to support 12-30V input, but requires external power brick?

For the first one, yes, it will replace not only the AC-DC but the whole brickless combo (AC-DC + DC-ATX).

For the second one, you are right. Seems like there will be updated DC-ATX unit which will support more external charger/power bricks.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
I am definitely unhappy!! The only real good option now is an audiophile component quality linear power supply from Ali Express that puts out 19v. Such as this: 19 Volt linear power supply. Bricks ARE CRAP! THEY ALL RUN EXTREMELY HOT AND HAVE CHEAP COMPONENTS IN THEM. The cords then come with are crap. And for me, a brick is only good for two things running my laptop and as a Test PS for board testing. I just purchased an adjustable DC power supply so I would not have to use a brick anymore for my testbed. The direction to phase out the internal 19 volts PS reflects the fact that mini- itx, not thin itx, is the market to be catered to. Is bigger better?

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Also not clear how this, or the 250W GaN, transfers heat to the PSU casing, and therefore to the case heatsink...

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Also not clear how this, or the 250W GaN, transfers heat to the PSU casing, and therefore to the case heatsink...
The old 160 watt HDplex uses thermal grease from aluminum heatsink walls that are bracketed with steel L brackets, I know this because I dissembled to shorten and loom wires and I applied new thermal grease. Hdplex cases use thermal tubes with grease, so I would surmise lower temps due to gallium having better efficiency but the conversion from AC current to DC will always result in the Thermodynamic creation of HEAT.🥵

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Curious about this as well. They always use aluminium extrusion for enclosure so they got fin-like protrusion that helps dissipate heat. Shots (or renders?) of the new 250W GaN atx only show one side where the outputs are and it's just smooth engraved surface.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
As always, a very rapid response from Larry at HDPLEX:

1. Is there a 12V DC 4-pin output for internal ITX motherboard power connector ?
There is nothing preventing you from plugging the PS-ON jumper on this 250W GaN which will effectively turn it into an internal 12V adapter (The 250W GaN will always be ON and output 12V as long as AC power cord is connected). If your thin ITX board 12V DC 4PIN plug is the same shape as a CPU EPS 4PIN plug. You could just plug the CPU EPS 4+4PIN cable into your thin ITX board.

2. Is there a mounting bracket to attach to case, and what are the dimensions please ?
Yes, the mounting plate is 182*55mm. Front mounting hole is 177*35mm. Back mount the GaN PSU onto this plate using provided M2.5 screws and you could front mount the whole thing in your chassis.

3. How does heat from components transfer to power supply casing and then to HDPLEX heatsink case ?
Via silicon thermal pads to the supply chassis and then to the casing.

I expect at some stage he'll put a manual and engineering diagram on the website. And no idea yet when these will be shipping...?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Just Posted my last 160 watt 19v build, as these and all 19V are no longer available, small builds like this will be a thing of the Past.
I have one 400 watt left, my last pot of gold.
Little Red Beast

Last edited:

motherofass

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2019
Can this be used in cases made for flex psus? I don't see anything about an adapter. If not, what are some of the smallest, actually available cases it's compatible with?