Power Supply HDPLEX 250W alternative - What would you like to see?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I am thinking using 20-25cm softer 24PIN cable in the next batch. 45cm is indeed a little bit too long even for my H5 case and there is always ATX extension cable if needed...
How about the length for other cable?
I am planing to change the ATX cable/8PIN cable to this type for next batch.

I guess it depends of the internal layout you choose.

For instance, I fitted an HDPLEX 250 with a GTX 750 Ti in my Streacom FC7, which dimensions are : w.240 x d.250 x h.100mm

I tested two cable management routes:

- Option 1 :

- Option 2, which is the current one (I improved a bit the cabel management around the 92mm fan since then) :

Even though the Streacom FC7 is not large, provided cables are not that long.

The ATX cable is a bit on the long side but nothing that cannot be adressed.
The 8Pin GPU cable has the perfect length, quite lucky. One centimeter too short and it would have ruined my cable management attempt !

Sleeved cables would have looked much nicer - I agree - but wouldn't have helped cable management, all on the contrary.
Here I can gather my ATX, sata and 8Pin cable in one single body (not larger than the ATX cable) and route it along the CPU cooler, on top the RAM which VLP.

Best solution would be to propose both options to your customers but I am not sure the financial equation would be in your favour...
I would let the dimensions as it : who can do more can do less.
And as this kind of hardware is mainly purchased by enthusiasts, they would not be afraid by a bit of trimming/sleeving (I know I am).

Regarding the HDPLEX 250W unit behaviour, nothing to declare ! Works like a charm powering an i3 6100 and a 750 Ti with a light OC, used for 3D renderings.
Nothing very challenging here, the HP 230W AC-DC adapter has no issues handling the load.
I might be tempted to switch the 750 Ti for a 970 though.

That's it for my modest feedback, not an expert !

As MarcParis in his previous post, I am also interested in the 250W internal AC-DC converter.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Excellent. Adds an option for my next build. Is there any glamour shots of such a setup?

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
2nd video : only R9 Nano powered by HDD plex 250W+voodoo 350W. Stable on heaven benchmark, but not on more demanding games. Average power consumption on AC wall meter : 192W

I hope this could help..:)

Please let me know the exact module number of your R9 Nano. Let me purchase it and test.
If my test is showing no coil whine, maybe you have a bad one?
There is no reason why QinX R9 Nano+HDPLEX does not have coil whine while yours does. Also I tested GTX970 on latest HDPLEX 250W, no coil whine either.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for support.
No coil whine apprears only when r9 nano has load.
Above coil whine, I would like to know if you could have a full solution to power it more easily than atx external psu, like I'm doing currently ( see my signature)

Target is to power core i7 6700k + r9 nano, that means to be able to manage power peak of 500w. I'm ready to test whatever you can propose from hdplex.

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
Thanks for support.
No coil whine apprears only when r9 nano has load.
Above coil whine, I would like to know if you could have a full solution to power it more easily than atx external psu, like I'm doing currently ( see my signature)

Target is to power core i7 6700k + r9 nano, that means to be able to manage power peak of 500w. I'm ready to test whatever you can propose from hdplex.

My engineer suggests this coil whine might due to the high current which exceed the spec of 250W. This peak A the R9 Nano required seems to exceed that of GTX970. I remember GTX970 has short peak going over 20A@12V
I will take some measurements. If the peak is constantly going over 300W-400W limits, than this coil whine issue can't be solved without a redesign and beefy component.

GTX1080 averages below 200W with peak below 300w. If my 250W DC-ATX can handle GTX970 quietly, it should handle GTX1080 fine.

I won't have passive solution for handle 500W continuously.
I have to obey physical law. At 85% efficiency, you are looking at almost 75w heat.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for your feedback!

I'll go for sfx power supply, that seems to be the more rational choice indeed...physical law are what they are...:)

FrankTang

Cable Smoosher
PICO-BOX
May 7, 2016
This Frank Tang from Pico-Box. I have gone over your discussion and want to post the status of our new PSU.
- The PSU model will be X300, as we already have X3-ATX-300 and X7-ATX-500 which have been used by several customers in America and Europe.
- The second prototype has been sent to Micheal for testing. Now we have been opening the mold for the back plate. It may take weeks to complete the work.

As for the website, yes, only the homepage can be visited. The new website is under construction.

We do not think we make copy from HDPLEX. The LM2642 circuit is open. We used microcontroller in all our PSU products to control the ATX timing, so that our PSU can be compatible with more brands of motherboards.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
This Frank Tang from Pico-Box. I have gone over your discussion and want to post the status of our new PSU.
- The PSU model will be X300, as we already have X3-ATX-300 and X7-ATX-500 which have been used by several customers in America and Europe.
- The second prototype has been sent to Micheal for testing. Now we have been opening the mold for the back plate. It may take weeks to complete the work.

As for the website, yes, only the homepage can be visited. The new website is under construction.

We do not think we make copy from HDPLEX. The LM2642 circuit is open. We used microcontroller in all our PSU products to control the ATX timing, so that our PSU can be compatible with more brands of motherboards.

Great news, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Can you provide feedback on how the R9 Nano might perform with the X300?

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Oh boy, we got Larry and Frank here now. Let the battle commence!

On a serious note, any new developments? I've got a keen eye on the new Pico

swe3tdave

Case Bender
Jul 6, 2016
To really support more than 350W or 400W in a stable way, you would need much beefy inductor like this.

i would rather have beefy inductors(and maybe capacitors? :)) if this means more stable power. i've seen too much crashes, reboots and BSOD issues, because of heavy power drain on the AC somewhere else in the home. I even saw someone hooking up a computer on the same socket as a washing machine and then complaining about "random crashes"... There is a few cities with municipal hydroelectric plants close by and this often means more spikes and so, more computer issues...