Power Supply HDPLEX 250W alternative - What would you like to see?

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
First prototype but there are some problems with the footprints of the output connectors.

Second version in one weeks time.

Testing with 20A (240w) load on the 12v output rail.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
11.62V is about 96.8% of 12V, that is still within spec I believe ? +/-5% no ?

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Looking good! Really curious how far this board can be pushed.

I much prefer the connector layout, the SATA power connectors are unusable in my S4 where I have to mount the HDPLEX.

Edit: Although give the current orientation of my HDPLEX having the 24pin on the outside might make it tough to route the cables, but I guess that will always be a problem depending on where components are in relation to the PSU.

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
They seemed very receptive to your 0 connector proposal so you might just get your way :)

What length cables do you think should be included by default? The 45cm cables included with the HDPlex are ridiculously long considering the cases they are likely to be used in. I wouldn't think anything over 30cm would be needed.

I am thinking using 20-25cm softer 24PIN cable in the next batch. 45cm is indeed a little bit too long even for my H5 case and there is always ATX extension cable if needed...
How about the length for other cable?
I am planing to change the ATX cable/8PIN cable to this type for next batch.

Last edited:

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
I am thinking using 20-25cm softer 24PIN cable in the next batch. 45cm is indeed a little bit too long even for my H5 case and there is always ATX extension cable if needed...
How about the length for other cable?
I am planing to change the ATX cable/8PIN cable to this type for next batch.

This is a really tough one and I am not sure, in almost every case I will personally cut down the wires to fit perfectly since space is usually a premium and it really depends on what case its used in and where its mounted, the last thing you want is a cable that doesn't quite reach.

--

2nd Prototype is ready and on its way. Load tests have been run for 24hrs with no problems found.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This looks like the ideal DC PSU I've been waiting for. I could stick with this one in the long term, enough to support a GTX 1070 or a Polaris equivalent.

Is the final production version going to have heatsinks like its predecessor?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
How is testing going? Are you only testing using a stable load or are there plans for actual test with systems? Or is that meant for @michaelmitchell to check out?
Also no need for a heatsink with a 300W load? That would have some crazy efficiency then.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
How is testing going? Are you only testing using a stable load or are there plans for actual test with systems? Or is that meant for @michaelmitchell to check out?
Also no need for a heatsink with a 300W load? That would have some crazy efficiency then.

System testing is for me and you to do QinX :). Prototype arrived yesterday so I will give it a test drive this week with the hardware I have and also perform a replacement in my S4 mini to see how it fits with the connectors as is, I have a feeling we might need to rethink the connector design given how much of a tight squeeze the HDPLEX is in S4 already.

I don't have a lot of hardware or tools to test with at the moment because I am moving countries in 6 weeks time so I will be sending it on to QinX for further insights, particularly to be run with an R9 Nano as soon as I've done some initial testing. Any suggestions or requests for testing/reviewing the prototype?

Final product will have a heat sink and base plate like the HDPLEX, its missing on the prototype for the sake of getting it to us quicker since those will take longer to produce. I have some of those stick on heat sinks I will most likely put on but I will measure temperatures with them off first.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Looking forward to it already. I recently got myself a meanwell ERP-350-24 and he crashes with the Nano have been reduced to almost zero but occasionally happen with very specific loads.
So I can compare with both the Voodoo 350W and the meanwell ERP-350-24.

I'm curious, the current design looks very much like the HDPlex in terms of layout, as is the intention. But has there been any attempt to make the R9 Nano less of a problem child with these types of DC-DC boards or is it more like the HDPlex 250W?
What are the differences in terms of component choices and their values.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice study Michael.
To have competition between hdplex, pico box and even mini box could be benefic for sff.

However to handle R9 nano(see my signature), based on my experience they will need to produce :
  • Dc-dc adapter that does not coil whine like hell (just conected to hdplex 250w to r9 nano nothing else)
  • Handle power requirement from r9 nano as my system is always crashing with hdplex only connected to r9 nano
R9 nano is the first type of card with top end gpu (fidji) using hbm, where it's easy to have shorter pcb. The true successor will be vega/pascal using hbm2.

Another competitor to power sff could be also atx cable extension with an sfx power supply ( like sf600)...it's not taking that much place especially compared to voodoo 350w or dual power brick.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Nice study Michael.
To have competition between hdplex, pico box and even mini box could be benefic for sff.

However to handle R9 nano(see my signature), based on my experience they will need to produce :
  • Dc-dc adapter that does not coil whine like hell (just conected to hdplex 250w to r9 nano nothing else)
  • Handle power requirement from r9 nano as my system is always crashing with hdplex only connected to r9 nano
R9 nano is the first type of card with top end gpu (fidji) using hbm, where it's easy to have shorter pcb. The true successor will be vega/pascal using hbm2.

Another competitor to power sff could be also atx cable extension with an sfx power supply ( like sf600)...it's not taking that much place especially compared to voodoo 350w or dual power brick.

Not all information you mention here is correct.

You might have a bad DC-DC adapter, because my newest HDPlex doesn't have any coilwhine. I've been in contact with HDPlex before when I had a GTX970 that caused the DC-DC Adapter to product coil whine.
But they took the feedback to heart, got a GTX970 for testing and made a revision. In my case the new revision had no coil whine with the GTX970 and not with the R9 Nano.
There were others with similar problems, but after the revision this has been greatly reduced.

Note I'm also only using the HDPlex 250W to power the R9 Nano.

Secondly the HDPlex 250W is suited to power the R9 Nano, however most AC-DC Bricks aren't. What we have asked Pico-Box to look into is to try and solve the problem that we have with AC-DC bricks with the new DC-DC adapter.

The R9 Nano has a 175W TDP, meaning it doesn't consume 175W but is designed for a 175W heatload.
It has a very sporadic energy demand, able to peak up to 400W. a regular AC-DC brick is NOT designed to do that, they are meant for semi stable loads, not loads that go from 400W to 100W in under a second.

If you are looking for my testing results have a look here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/kees-kogelmier-a-tiny-powerhouse.279/page-4

Reactions: Phuncz and jØrd

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
No coil whine with the HDPLEX for me either, it could also just be the pairing of the specific components and the HDPLEX you have. I am not sure the X3 will do much better with the R9 Nano but we won't know until we try. I think if the next round of ITX cards have similar problems we will find a way to make it work.

It would be nice if someone started making higher power external AC-DC bricks to cater for this market, there are plenty of 12-24v PSUs on the market but they don't really fit the plug and play market. I have considered making my own, but it is a pain to match a premade suitable enclosure in size.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
yes i know qinx, i've read your feedback before going to my setup.
However my hdplex is from april 2016, i hope it's the last revision (rev 1.4 written on board)

We will see how x3 will manage the load with qinx feedback, I'm still a bit skeptical. I'll start with wire extension first.

Of course if you need me to test any dc-dc power with r9 nano, please let me know..:)

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
So I can compare with both the Voodoo 350W and the meanwell ERP-350-24.

I'm curious, the current design looks very much like the HDPlex in terms of layout, as is the intention. But has there been any attempt to make the R9 Nano less of a problem child with these types of DC-DC boards or is it more like the HDPlex 250W?

Qinx,

I have a Canada customer using Voodoo 350W with HDPLEX 250W DC-ATX(latest version). Here is what he reported.

Quote" I am currently running it with a Voodoo 350W power supply and my PC only has a 4670k (no GPU). However, the unit keeps shutting itself down."

Then he measured the DC output from the Voodoo adapter.
Quote" I measured the voltage, and there would be massive dips to 12-14V when power consumption suddenly increases."

Then he changed AC adapter to Dell and is running fine.
Quote "Bought a new Dell 330W power brick and everything appears to be working fine."

I am a little bit confused as well. It seems the project is basically to have Pico-BOX copy my old generation design and dimension, label it at 300W and most likely to sell it at 65-75USD on Aliexpress or ebay.

Nothing wrong with more competition.:)
I would suggest Frank from Pico-BOX to use Germany WE inductor which should have better response curve at high A application. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X