Power Supply HDPLEX 250W alternative - What would you like to see?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I do think what you say is sound, but applies more to regular ATX powersupplies. With the DC-DC boards the AC-DC step is done by the laptop style adapters and you can't change the design of those. The stability we are talking about is similar but is about the spikes caused by the computer components.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Changing the DC-DC converter inside the computer may help with power droops caused by components inside the computer drawing a lot of power, but that tends to be a fairly predictable power draw, something you can control to a point (systems with a lot of HDD storage might stagger HDD spinup, you can undervolt/underclock CPUs and GPUs, etc.).

Factors outside the computer won't be helped much if at all since they affect the power that gets to the AC-DC converter segment, and can be less predictable sometimes. You either need a beefier AC-DC converter (usually a power brick in this case), or better yet, a UPS to isolate your PC from the power grid.

Speaking of UPS's though, with stuff like the PicoBox or HDPlex things that do separate the DC-DC and AC-DC converters, it would be nice if someone came with one that included circuitry to connect to and manage batteries, so that you could operate your computer more like a laptop: when the power isn't clean or is temporarily unavailable, the systems starts running on battery power, then recharges when the power comes back on.

Reactions: Soul_Est

exit47

Case Bender
Jul 13, 2016
I'd like something like "brick" AMD quantum project (one brick on the floor somewhere). Something like external PSU Windy Varius EX350 (Longer Manufactured). Its size is something like sfx, sfx-l feed one cable to the PC where it would then be on the inside of a panel on the classic connectors, as in modular source.
It occurred to me that the option could be to use a modular source. Dismantle it and use the connectors plate on modular PSU. Then put into the interior of the PC, and then to her only bring individual cable lines (3.3V, 5V, 12V, -12V), and again soldered.
Is it real? No more heat in the PC case and occupying less space with connectors plate. It's just an idea, so not stoned me =)

PS.: I apologize for my English but I hope you understand me.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'd like something like "brick" AMD quantum project (one brick on the floor somewhere). Something like external PSU Windy Varius EX350 (Longer Manufactured). Its size is something like sfx, sfx-l feed one cable to the PC where it would then be on the inside of a panel on the classic connectors, as in modular source.
It occurred to me that the option could be to use a modular source. Dismantle it and use the connectors plate on modular PSU. Then put into the interior of the PC, and then to her only bring individual cable lines (3.3V, 5V, 12V, -12V), and again soldered.
Is it real? No more heat in the PC case and occupying less space with connectors plate. It's just an idea, so not stoned me =)

There isn't anything I know of that combines the voltages into a few wires then breaks them out again into individual cables/connectors inside the PC, but there is a product from HDPlex that lets you connect regular internal power cables to the back of your PC http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-ATX-Modular-Bridge-Input-Board.html and they also have an (ATX sized) mounting plate for it http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-ATX-Adapter-Bracket.html

exit47

Case Bender
Jul 13, 2016
Solutions like external PSU Windy Varius EX350 requires fewer cables, see. photos. It really does not make any easier.

swe3tdave

Case Bender
Jul 6, 2016
Solutions like external PSU Windy Varius EX350 requires fewer cables, see. photos. It really does not make any easier.
i agree having an almost completely external PSU feels like a better solution to me. But i would like to avoid the cable mess the current hdplex solution provides. i dont mind having a standard modular psu on the ground if that makes things easier to implement...

sffguru

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 6, 2016
I would really like to order one of the new Z4 from PicoBox on aliexpress. It tells me they don't ship to the USA. I checked on my HTPC and it says the same thing. I emailed Frank Tang a few weeks ago and he said he'd look into it. Anyone else having this issue.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey FrankTang,

I was looking at the listing for the Z4 ATX 200 and noticed on one of the photos the power supply is running Furmark (and Prime95?) and pulling 214.27 watts from the wall. How comfortably can it handle this level of output (thermals), and do you feel it could safely go higher with some form of cooling?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
It's supposed to be able to output up to 200W with a fan directing air onto it. The Z4 is 90% efficient at best, which is probably around 50% load, but if we assume 90% efficiency at max load, that would be pulling 222W from the power brick, which will have it's own inefficiencies. So, that system is running within spec, but probably in the 90% range of what it can handle on a continuous basis.

TheWhiteWolves

Caliper Novice
Jul 28, 2016
I'm very new here (as in this is my first post :)) but I just wanted to throw something in on this conversation that I haven'e seen mentioned yet.

Something I would like to see from either this alternative or from HDPLEX themselves is an alternative power jack, the one that comes with the HDPLEX is frankly horrible (sorry hdplex), its not something that looks nice when mounted in a case (e.g. in the S4 Mini from NFC, which has a cutout for the picoPSU).

I'd like to see either the jack changed to be a similar style to the pico and/or have the mounting holes the same distance so cases like the S4 don't need to be modified to fit it.

At the very least a mounting bracket that makes it look nice on a case not specifically made for the board mounted style.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Yes, the jack connection on the HDPlex is less then ideal. However it can be easily changed to whatever you want if you have a soldering iron or someone with one. But an updated default connector would be nice to see.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Picobox X300 PSU has been put on aliexpress. We are building our new website these days.
This is great! I cannot wait to get one of these for my next project (currently being planned). While going over the page, I noticed that the picture linking to the power adapter is missing. The only product that comes close to what is pictured is the High Power 19.5V*11.8A=230W AC Power Adapter with 7.4x5mm PIN size for picoPSU which is no longer available. This image has the heatsink mounted in reverse:

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So this a series of questions for both Frank and Larry to have a crack at should they care to.

1.) The Pico Box product is rated at 300W vs. The HDPlex's 250W. And yet the peak for the Pico Box ~350W in proportion to the 400W peak of the HDPlex. Just curious why the differences in peak and rated wattages.

2.) The Pico Box costs $20.00 less than the HDPlex. Is the difference in price reflected in the difference of quality in components used? If so, would one (or both of you) care to explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of your unit when compared to your competitor's unit please?

3.) How do the thermal solutions on your two products differ. I see the thermal pad solution that Frank is using, but am unsure if HDPlex is using a similar or different solution. If it is different, why and for what reason?

Thanks guys!

FrankTang

Cable Smoosher
PICO-BOX
May 7, 2016
The peak power heavily depends on the heatsink and it is hard to test. In our lab test, we did get more than 400W peak power output in a short duration with active fan faced to the PSU. However, we do not encourage you to use larger than 400W peak so we understate the peak power value.

Reactions: CXH4 and Soul_Est