Power Supply Has anyone bought the Metalfish 500W modular flex-atx psu from aliexpress/taobao?

tingao

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 18, 2020
there are only 3 good options, which are all 80 Plus efficiency, & have modular versions :

1) Delta DPS 500W
2) FSP Flex Guru 500W
3) Enhance ENP-7660B 600W

my recommendation is a Delta DPS 500W, based on price.

even after you pay extra, to mod its fan to semi silent, & to change it to black color, its still cheaper than the other two.

members here are offering these mod services.

Thanks man, have been trying to find a decent psu that fits in a K39/M24 that will last over 4-5years.
Decided on a silent Delta DPS 500W, does this look ok or fake to you guys? between US$ 67-82

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks man, have been trying to find a decent psu that fits in a K39/M24 that will last over 4-5years.
Decided on a silent Delta DPS 500W, does this look ok or fake to you guys? between US$ 67-82

Yep, that's one of the recommended sellers for modded flex PSUs from China.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Yep, that's one of the recommended sellers for modded flex PSUs from China.
I bought 2 modded flex psus from YTC and they have been great. One is a modular Delta DPS-400AB-17 with red silicon cables and the other one is non-modular ENP-7660B with silver plated cables which I have just received. The Delta PSU was modded with a quiet fan so I can say its as quiet as an 7660B. The Delta was sold recently together with my Metalfish S3, while the new 7660B is now in Formula Loli1 which I have just built.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I bought 2 modded flex psus from YTC and they have been great. One is a modular Delta DPS-400AB-17 with red silicon cables and the other one is non-modular ENP-7660B with silver plated cables which I have just received. The Delta PSU was modded with a quiet fan so I can say its as quiet as an 7660B. The Delta was sold recently together with my Metalfish S3, while the new 7660B is now in Formula Loli1 which I have just built.

Looking great.

I also only had good experience with YTC so far.

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
I've been reading up and I recall seeing someone say that the modded PSUs that Geeek sell on their site are in fact sourced from YTC. Does this sound plausible?

Klabauter

Efficiency Noob
Oct 6, 2020
Hi guys,

So I read the whole thread ... following situation:

I am currently building the following SFF PC (and Hackintosh):
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • 16GB RAM
  • Radeon RX 5600 XT ITX
  • Metalfish K3 Case
I already had the following PSU: https://seasonic.com/sug

worked just fine! :)

Then I tried to mod the fan to a Noctua 40mm 20mm thick fan.

As someone already mentioned, I had to reverse the poles of the cable I attached to meet the original fan (or rather its polarity) - I did just that.
but the Noctua fan never started spinning!
I tried everything ... in the end not even the original fan would work anymore! My multimeter reported 8 volts, but as soon as I attached ANY load (--> any fan, no matter which one), the voltage dropped to 0.01V.

--> I RMA'd the PSU now and want to order a new one!

Problem is: I am from Europe (Austria) --> as far as I understand it, Taobao is out of the question (no idea how you guys order there - do you speak Mandarin?).

I am a bit lost on what to do now:
  • Order same Seasonic 300W again and leave stock fan: loud!
  • Seasonic 300W with fan mod: might break it again, no clue how I broke it. Still don't understand what happened!
  • Order Silverstone 350W (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=784) - everyone says this is VERY loud!
  • Order something from aliexpress - which one?
I hope you guys can help! :) Thanks a lot in advance!

best, Patrick

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hi guys,

So I read the whole thread ... following situation:

I am currently building the following SFF PC (and Hackintosh):
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • 16GB RAM
  • Radeon RX 5600 XT ITX
  • Metalfish K3 Case
I already had the following PSU: https://seasonic.com/sug

worked just fine! :)

Then I tried to mod the fan to a Noctua 40mm 20mm thick fan.

As someone already mentioned, I had to reverse the poles of the cable I attached to meet the original fan (or rather its polarity) - I did just that.
but the Noctua fan never started spinning!
I tried everything ... in the end not even the original fan would work anymore! My multimeter reported 8 volts, but as soon as I attached ANY load (--> any fan, no matter which one), the voltage dropped to 0.01V.

--> I RMA'd the PSU now and want to order a new one!

Problem is: I am from Europe (Austria) --> as far as I understand it, Taobao is out of the question (no idea how you guys order there - do you speak Mandarin?).

I am a bit lost on what to do now:
  • Order same Seasonic 300W again and leave stock fan: loud!
  • Seasonic 300W with fan mod: might break it again, no clue how I broke it. Still don't understand what happened!
  • Order Silverstone 350W (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=784) - everyone says this is VERY loud!
  • Order something from aliexpress - which one?
I hope you guys can help! :) Thanks a lot in advance!

best, Patrick

For things on TaoBao you can use a shopping agent like Superbuy. I think there is a link here in the thread for the recommended seller.

If you want to save you the trouble and prefer to order from Germany or Austria just go with the Silverstone and do a fan swap. Instead of using the internal fan header you can also route the fan power cable through the PSU and connect it to one of the 12v lines directly (yellow and black) . Noctua puts some "Kabeldiebe" in the box afaik. If you make the fan exhaust it should be almost none audible even if it's spinning max all the time.

Reactions: vandieutot

Klabauter

Efficiency Noob
Oct 6, 2020
Thanks for your reply @REVOCCASES !

Only thing that annoys me is, that I can't fit the 40mm Noctua I already have, because it is 20mm thick, and the Silverstone is using a slimmer one.
So you suggest connecting the fan to a normal 12V molex cable directly to have it run FS all the time, because the Noctuas are pretty silent anyways?

Also, the Silverstone has sleeved cables, which I fear will be too long and very unflexible for the tiny case.

You think the Silverstone is the best choice for my system (and location :D)?!

Thanks again!

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
@Klabauter If you have concerns about the sleeving (on the Silverstone FX-500, only the 24-pin is sleeved AFAIK), you can always try stripping off the braiding.

If you have a 2.5 inch SATA SSD as part of your build (you might not though) this would give you a convenient place behind the SSD to tuck the extra cable length behind. You could also cut off the unused cables like molex, and securely insulate the ends with some heat shrink, so there's less to manage.

If you know what your doing with custom cables, you might consider shortening the stock cables.

Klabauter

Efficiency Noob
Oct 6, 2020
Thanks for your input! :)

about the Silverstone FX-500 - anyone tested this one already?! I only read one review on Amazon which said, like the 350W version, that the fan is incredibly loud!

That's my one big concern with this one, is it is using a 15mm thick fan instead of a 20mm.

I might still go for it, I am a bit tired of ordering stuff from China, waiting 1,5-2+ months, finding it is horrid quality and ordering something else again :D

Klabauter

Efficiency Noob
Oct 6, 2020
So I just ordered the Seasonic 300W again and will do a Noctua 40x20mm swap and connect the Noctua to the 12V line at full power. The Silverstone just has way too long cables and the fan at 15mm thick is not that "easy" to swap, as there are now that good fans on the market with this thickess.

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Thanks for your input! :)

about the Silverstone FX-500 - anyone tested this one already?! I only read one review on Amazon which said, like the 350W version, that the fan is incredibly loud!

That's my one big concern with this one, is it is using a 15mm thick fan instead of a 20mm.

I might still go for it, I am a bit tired of ordering stuff from China, waiting 1,5-2+ months, finding it is horrid quality and ordering something else again :D

I actually do have an FX-500 now as of today. But funny story... I was waiting for a replacement for a faulty modular cable from Geeek for my 7660B, but their tracking code wasnt working. I was like screw it, I'll try my luck with the FX-500.

So that arrived today. BUT my replacement cable from GEEEK also arrived. So now I'm back to using the 7660B so won't have the opportunity to test the FX-500.

But from what I have read, it's the same or similar fan in the FX-500 as what was in the FX-350. You have to understand that these PSUs are intended first and foremost for rackmount servers, so will be operating in server rooms where noise isn't much of a consideration. They aren't meant for quiet gaming PCs so very few Flex PSUs out there are quiet.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
But again, why not get a modded second hand server PSU from Delta, Liteon, etc? You can also find these on Aliexpress or use TaoBao via Superbuy.

I am thinking about trying to use a server-Flex-ATX PSU, specifically the (Delta DPS-350AB-12A 350W) in my next APU build/65W-TDP/no GPU in a K39 case. Possibly with an additional mod for fan-noise by substituing a quieter Noctua fan.

I am only interested in using three cables; the ATXPWR-24Pin, 4/8-pin EPS12V power for Mobo/CPU, and the 4-pin fan control. I don't need power cables for Sata, Molex, or Fans because all power for NVMe storage or fans will come from the motherboard. Any advice or cautions?

Bloom

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 8, 2020
Metal fish PSU aid decent I have had one for a few months and I replaced the fan with a noctua in the PSU much better, if you are limiting cables get the modular one.

vandieutot

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 12, 2020

Can anyone tell me if the "Power Supply Dark Forest 1U Flex 80 Plus" is quieter than the FSP GURU or the Deta 500w. I am using Deta and feel very noisy. Since I don't have much skill in tuning fan to noctua so I want to buy the "Power Supply Dark Forest 1U Flex 80 Plus" but do not know its noise policy compared to FSP GURU and Deta.​

vandieutot

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 12, 2020
this PSU is modular unlike many others, & if you watch the 29 second video, its product label showing a rating of 80 Plus is visible : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000935628975.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57eb4c4dDkMYxB
Can anyone tell me if the "Power Supply Dark Forest 1U Flex 80 Plus" is quieter than the FSP GURU or the Deta 500w. I am using Deta and feel very noisy. Since I don't have much skill in tuning fan to noctua so I want to buy the "Power Supply Dark Forest 1U Flex 80 Plus" but do not know its noise policy compared to FSP GURU and Deta.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
in general: more efficient = less noisy

If you take a 500W FLEX PSU with 80PLUS Silver efficiency, the tiny 40mm fan needs to cool down 65W ~ 75W of heat under full load. Now if you compare this with a 75W CPU where you are using a pretty big fan for cooling it down you can imagine that this gets noisy pretty fast during load.

Usually modded server PSUs like DELTA, DELL, Liteon, etc. have a higher efficiency in the range of 92% to 96% (80PLUS Platinum) which means they will run cooler and often be less noisy. Same goes for the Enhance ENP-7660B which is pretty "silent" for a FLEX PSU from what I've heard.

Now I don't know which DELTA you have but I doubt the "Dark Forrest" will be more silent. At least not under load.

BakaBazooka

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2020
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
Seems like there are many PSU experts here. So I like to know your opinions on this PSU: I did only some surface lookup on the company and some pictures, but I don't really know PSU components too well.
Any thoughts?