Production GxR-ONE ATX PLUGIN PSU / a (G)UNIQUE and (R)EVOLUTIONARY power solution / RTX3080 ready

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I've been looking at picking up one of the combos in your store. I've been a staunch brickless builder but recently I've been wanted to experiment with a brick. It just seems like it would make the actual build a lot simpler if the PSU brick was located outside. It would hurt my OCD but your case looks nice to look at.

Question on the GxR-ONE unit. Is the unit modular at all? If I don't need a certain connector, like SATA connectors or whatnot, can I remove those from the unit or is it all strung up on a single cable?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I've been looking at picking up one of the combos in your store. I've been a staunch brickless builder but recently I've been wanted to experiment with a brick. It just seems like it would make the actual build a lot simpler if the PSU brick was located outside. It would hurt my OCD but your case looks nice to look at.

Question on the GxR-ONE unit. Is the unit modular at all? If I don't need a certain connector, like SATA connectors or whatnot, can I remove those from the unit or is it all strung up on a single cable?

Thanks for your interest.

Indeed the SATA cable is modular. You can plug it into the GxR-ONE unit or leave it if you don't need it.

The rest is not modular as I imagined most people would need CPU and PCIe power connectors anyways ;)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am currently running some tests for the internal AC-DC solutions for SFX and FLEX mounting support. Therefore I need to know how much power you would realistically require in a typical build.

So may I ask which CPU and GPU you have or going to use? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: ellroy80

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I am currently running some tests for the internal AC-DC solutions for SFX and FLEX mounting support. Therefore I need to know how much power you would realistically require in a typical build.

I am personally planning a 95 tdp Ryzen (I think their PPT is set to 145watts) and a 3080, so roughly 570 watts, not including fans and such.

Edit: I do need a 3080 first though lol

Edit 2: I can't math, sleep deprivation from refreshing pages

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am personally planning a 95 tdp Ryzen (I think their PPT is set to 145watts) and a 3080, so roughly 570 watts, not including fans and such.

Edit: I do need a 3080 first though lol

The 3080 would require 350W max and a Ryzen 9 3950X would draw 150W max. Would make 500W for CPU and GPU, worse case when everything is maxed out. Right?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
So for internal AC/DC I think the Meanwell 400w/500w and the HD Plex 400w are really the only units to worry about.

If you're doing a LP GPU or APU case you can drop it down to the Meanwell 200w.

I think these AC/DC units go well in cases that are mini-sandwich or console shaped. I think it's pretty reasonable to think that most use cases will include NOT too tier hardware, so think 65w CPUs with lower profile coolers and GPUs on the RTX 2070 range.

For Flex I'd probably bump up to 600w and assume you can do more top tier stuff.

SFX PSU for the big boys, RTX 3090...

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
So for internal AC/DC I think the Meanwell 400w/500w and the HD Plex 400w are really the only units to worry about.

If you're doing a LP GPU or APU case you can drop it down to the Meanwell 200w.

I think these AC/DC units go well in cases that are mini-sandwich or console shaped. I think it's pretty reasonable to think that most use cases will include NOT too tier hardware, so think 65w CPUs with lower profile coolers and GPUs on the RTX 2070 range.

For Flex I'd probably bump up to 600w and assume you can do more top tier stuff.

SFX PSU for the big boys, RTX 3090...

Good points. I also think for super enthusiast builds people will most likely go for some platinum SFX anyways.

My plan is to offer two complete solutions based on the GxR-ONE with internal AC-DC units for builds which would usually use FLEX or SFX but have limited space for proper cable management.

Just take the Velka cases for example. I think these would benefit from a solution like that. Having to deal with only one cable would be easier to build and could improve airflow / cooling.

With the external bricks from Gury and me we should have most scenarios covered then.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Here comes the idea for a GxR-ONE SFX Kit which would work with most of the popular SFX PSUs available.

Please don't mind the XT90 connector in the picture, this is just for testing and will not be necessary for the final version. Anyways, you get the idea, right?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
another option for internal SFX GxR-ONE

• pro: only one set of cables required
  • con: limited to 550W
Wow that looks really good. I'm sure if you did some detailed photos and wrote up a good description/review including noise and benchmarks and posted over on /r/sffpc you would get a lot of positive responses.

I assume the enclosure is the size of a standard SFX PSU?

Reactions: DrHudacris

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Wow that looks really good. I'm sure if you did some detailed photos and wrote up a good description/review including noise and benchmarks and posted over on /r/sffpc you would get a lot of positive responses.

I assume the enclosure is the size of a standard SFX PSU?

Thanks.

I'm still doing some testing so I can't share to many details at the moment. What I can say is that noise will not be an issue. It will come with zero fan mode under low load and when the fan kicks in it won't be louder than your GPU or CPU cooler. It also has a pretty good efficiency under full load.

Yes, it's exactly SFX size and layout.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

My current build is 3900X (default 150W PPT but with PBO enabled / OC it can easily get to 200W), and will be getting the biggest Navi that will be launched (so rumoured 350W TDP) and let's say 100W for all other parts of the build. that would give a total of 650W at full load.

Good points. I also think for super enthusiast builds people will most likely go for some platinum SFX anyways.
guess my SF750 is still sitting very pretty at this point LOL

Here comes the idea for a GxR-ONE SFX Kit which would work with most of the popular SFX PSUs available.

Please don't mind the XT90 connector in the picture, this is just for testing and will not be necessary for the final version. Anyways, you get the idea, right?

hypothetically how would this differ to the setup that I currently have with the SF750 + J-Hack M.2426? any advantages?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
My current build is 3900X (default 150W PPT but with PBO enabled / OC it can easily get to 200W), and will be getting the biggest Navi that will be launched (so rumoured 350W TDP) and let's say 100W for all other parts of the build. that would give a total of 650W at full load.

guess my SF750 is still sitting very pretty at this point LOL

hypothetically how would this differ to the setup that I currently have with the SF750 + J-Hack M.2426? any advantages?

If you want to stick with SFX Power Supplies I would say the M2426 is already a pretty good option to reduce cables. My idea combining standard SFX PSUs with GxR-ONE would reduce a few cables more (as you can see from the picture) but apart from that there is no advantage. Therefore I am not sure if it's worth to follow up.

The ultimate goal is to create custom made AC-DC-DC power supplies with different form factors which would require a minimum of cable management and allow for completely new and exciting case designs.

G-UNIQUE has currently something like this in the making for S4M and other custom case designs. For SFX I have made a 500W prototype but this needs a lot of testing and is not on the priority list ATM.

• Love
Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The ultimate goal is to create custom made AC-DC-DC power supplies with different form factors which would require a minimum of cable management and allow for completely new and exciting case designs.
this!

as mentioned before I'm very open to other form factors (still have that GFX 600/900W in the back of my head haha), though I'm in the camp of over-wattage is better so my options are quite limited (minimum 750W). gonna keep lurking, keep up the good work!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
this!

as mentioned before I'm very open to other form factors (still have that GFX 600/900W in the back of my head haha), though I'm in the camp of over-wattage is better so my options are quite limited (minimum 750W). gonna keep lurking, keep up the good work!

In my opinion SFX is not an optimal form factor for SFF cases. When you design a case it's either always in the way or difficult to place without impact on air flow.

G-unique has some pretty cool solutions for high wattage internal PSUs. Just have to design a case around them to unleash their full potential. So stay tuned. ;)