Motherboard Group Buy/Crowdfunded Modded BIOS for the Asrock A300m (Deskmini A300)

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
I don't own a DeskMini so one of you guys has to test it, but here's the latest bios with the 1.0.0.4B AGESA. Not sure if it will do anything useful as it might require other tweaks but it's worth a shot. Note that the PBS firmware version might still report the 1.0.0.1 AGESA as that's just a plaintext string I couldn't replace.

MEGA Link
I'll order a rom flash tool right away.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Given the big announcement, Ryzen 4000 series CPUs might also be possible now:

I don't think so. Note that in the Anandtech Article, they specifically list A320 as not supporting Renoir: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1580...ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards
I don't know where that info comes from but it's interesting that they explicitly say it won't. Also interesting is it says A320 doesn't support Zen 2 at all, which might explain everyone's difficulties with getting non-APU Ryzen 3000s to work. Did anyone test a Ryzen 2600 or something in the DeskMini? Or a 1600 AF?

Reactions: Phuncz

carlothan

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 19, 2020
I just got a response from emailing ASRock support where I asked if the a300 would support 4xxxG Zen 2 APUs and was told that the a300 would not support the 4XXX series. They didn't specify if they meant the regular zen 3 SKUs or whether than included the zen 2 APUs as well, but I take that as a sign that we would have to buy a newer revision of the a300 if we want the 4xxxG APU support. A little sad since I just bought the a300 a month ago with the hopes to upgrade to the sweet APUs coming out this year.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
We need to keep up the pressure because this board should support the 4700G, which is Zen 2, despite the 4000 series name.
See my post above:
Note that in the Anandtech Article, they specifically list A320 as not supporting Renoir: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1580...ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards
I don't know where that info comes from but it's interesting that they explicitly say it won't. Also interesting is it says A320 doesn't support Zen 2 at all, which might explain everyone's difficulties with getting non-APU Ryzen 3000s to work. Did anyone test a Ryzen 2600 or something in the DeskMini? Or a 1600 AF?
As of right now, no one has gotten any Zen 2 CPU to work on the Deskmini. Why would you expect a Zen 2 APU to work? If a board supported Zen 2 already, then sure I see your point, but to date no one has gotten any Zen 2 architecture CPU to boot. And that Anandtech article says the A320 doesn't support Zen 2, which is the "chipset" that the Deskmini uses.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

carlothan

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 19, 2020
We need to keep up the pressure because this board should support the 4700G, which is Zen 2, despite the 4000 series name.

Unfortunately, like earlier posts by ASRock themselves in this thread have revealed, they are likely launching a new Deskmini a400 or something similar with a couple small revisions and out of the box support for the new gen APUs. The good news is it will probably not be more expensive than the a300. We can complain all we want, but ASRock has the easy defense of saying the mobo in the a300 is too weak or whatever to handle the new APUs and will happily sell us a $150 upgrade.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

GLSRacer

Average Stuffer
May 31, 2019
If it's true that an A400 will be coming out and the A300 support will end, then I might just stick with my A300 and then build a larger but more powerful 3950X system. I just built one for an organization I work with and that 16 core is sweet. A 4700G would be fine for my uses but if I'm going to have to spend another $150 to get Zen2 support then I might as well go X570 R9 3950X.

lupo88

Efficiency Noob
May 20, 2020
Good morning all

I recently acquired an a300 and bought an Intel AC-9560 NGW M2 wifi card.
Unfortunately, it isn't recognized because it isn't supported by asrock.

Can we modify the bios and add the wifi card? it's possible?

Thank you for your help

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
I don't think so. Note that in the Anandtech Article, they specifically list A320 as not supporting Renoir: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1580...ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

Yes, I tested a 2600. That is why this thread was started, by me.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
AC-9560 NGW M2 wifi card.
Unfortunately, it isn't recognized because it isn't supported by asrock.
I am afraid it cannot and not because of the BIOS, either: AC-9560 requires one of the latest Intel processors supporting CNVi to work. "This module must be used with an Intel SoC which supports Connectivity Integration (CNVi). " The reason: specific portions of the Wi-Fi chipset circuitry have been rolled into the processor. Don't worry: many others have made this mistake thinking the 9560, because it has the higher number, is the better version, and they have ended up having to return their Wi-Fi cards. It is the same problem with the AX201. Just make sure that you grab the non-CNVi equivalent. The non-CNVi version of the AC-9560 you would want is the AC-9260. Or if you want to step up to Wi-Fi 6, in the place of the AX201, the non-CNVi version you would be after is the AX200.

Last edited: