GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini (from the EGPU)

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
@rokabeka, Fixed the lines, 2 of the 3 displayports on the GPU give those lines, and one doesn't really weird, would a RMA be in place?

Also for the sound, might find it here for the next 24H: https://clyp.it/0azqqxye
yeah, I absolutely do not have any noise like that.
and the lines you see anyway are not healthy, I would say RMA unless your dp cable or the monitor has some issues.
for me the linked pictures are not visible.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Since imgur isn't working correctly for me nor any other imagehoster. I have placed the pictures on a google drive:

Reactions: 1461748123

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So out of curiosity, do you have plans for the eGPU box now that you've extracted the GPU?

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@1461748123, there is a little plastic mounting bracket on the heatsink, can't tell if that was clued. But the fan is screwd on with 3 screws like most GPU fans.

@Kmpkt, I had some plans with it, but I'll let you know. For now I need it due to warrenty since the card needs to be RMAed with the box.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Is there a backplate on the GPU? Any chance you could take a couple good photos of it on both sides? Cheers.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@Kmpkt, the card has been send back for a refund. Since the webshop doesn't have the gamingbox in restock to trade it in for. I bought the gamingbox elsewhere, It should arrive tomorrow.

Also the card doesn't have a backplate.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm just looking at getting a regular GTX 1080 Mini for my S4M build and it looks like this unit costs like 60 bucks more for the eGPU. Since I need an eGPU anyways I figure it'd be a good deal.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@Kmpkt It is :) here in the Netherlands, the price do very a bit more. The normale GPU is €560 and the eGPU is about €750. But the card is worth it since it draws way less power then a Zotac GTX 1080 (30 watts).

Which some good undervolting of the GPU it could be even lower and making it a very nice card in combination with a HDPlex 400w.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Got the new card. So far so good :) No noisy fan, havn't tested all the ports yet but it is looking good :)

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
So maybe I didn't hear it a first, but now after a day I do, the noise is back but no a different card. I don't know what it is, I already lubed this one, but even when I remove the fan and spin it on my hand it has the same issues.

Gonna return this one aswell an buy a regulair GTX 1080 ITX from gigabyte.

Phenixof4

What's an ITX?
Mar 8, 2018
I was also surprised, not yet checked what is behind. that is what linux reported (nvidia-smi). and it is quite in accordance with what I see on the kill-a-watt (plug power meter). most likely that is one reason this can remain silent.
Mine was rattling untill I chopped the fan down . The fan was too big.has anybody tried a water cooling block yet?

Xyit

Chassis Packer
Jul 24, 2016
Bumping an old thread because I just picked up one of these from the aorus box off ebay for 350$. Does @rokabeka fan make the shizzle noise? Also @Phenixof4, how did you chop the fan down?