GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini itx

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Just get mine GTX 1080 mini.

I put it in my case and did some test in OC with Heaven Benchmark (1080p ultra, high tesselation, AA 4x)
I used standard FAN curve.

My configuration :
CPU : i7 8700k (Undervolt, cache OC to 4400Mhz)
Memory : 2x16Gb corsair LPX 4000Mhz @ 3466-15-15-15-35 1T
Motherboard : Asus ROG strix Z370-I Gaming
PSU : FSP Flex atx 500W Platinum
Case : Custom_MOD Flex ATX rev 1

Without Panel on :

OC :

GPU : 1911Mhz @0.863V
MEM : 5500 Mhz
Temp : 75°C
Result : 162 FPS
Power Consumption (from wall): 216W

Undervolt :
GPU : 1782Mhz @0.800V
Temp : 72°C
Result : 146 FPS
Power Consumption (from wall): 196W

With Panel on :

OC :

GPU : 1911Mhz @0.863V
Temp : 80°C
Result : 162 FPS
Power Consumption (from wall) : 216W

Undervolt :
GPU : 1782Mhz @0.800V
Temp : 77°C
Result : 146 FPS
Power Consumption (from wall) : 196W

I m very surprised that i can go so high in frequency with so low voltage. And Memory OC quite well too.

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
What about noise?

Dead silent in idle.

For comparison i have a GTX680 blower style wich is like a Founder Edition. Even under heavy Load with OC (@1911Mhz) and panel on, the gigabyte is less noisy by a decent margin. It's not quiet but when gaming you can't hear it.

Reactions: K888D

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
NICE GPU but pretty hot as was to be expected, my gtx 1070 is 20°C less with 100% speed fan but low noise.

Have you tried Furkmark stress test?

Last edited:

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
NICE GPU but pretty hot as was to be expected, my gtx 1070 is 20°C less with 100% speed fan but low noise.

Have you tried Furkmark stress test?
I tried Furkmark. The gigabyte stabilise at 82°C with 74% fan speed with case panel on.

However Furkmark seems to draw maximum power from the gigabyte, way more than any benchmark. And my undervolting do not change anything as this stress test seems to ignore it and try to draw the max power.

Under this type of load, the gigabyte is not the most noisy part of my build. When the power consumption pass the 300W mark my PSU (Flex ATX) became noisy, enough to cover the noise from the gigabyte.

Reactions: K888D and wesbl

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I tried Furkmark. The gigabyte stabilise at 82°C with 74% fan speed with case panel on.

However Furkmark seems to draw maximum power from the gigabyte, way more than any benchmark. And my undervolting do not change anything as this stress test seems to ignore it and try to draw the max power.

Under this type of load, the gigabyte is not the most noisy part of my build. When the power consumption pass the 300W mark my PSU (Flex ATX) became noisy, enough to cover the noise from the gigabyte.

Thanks for your feedback, I wanted to wait for this graphic card for my rig but I was afraid it was too loud and hot for my standards, now I know I was right.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Thanks for your feedback, I wanted to wait for this graphics card for my rig but I was afraid it was too loud and hot for my standards, now I know I was right.
I'm going to attempt to get some sound readings on mine in a S4 Mini if you need actual numbers.
Are you looking to go with the Zotac 1080 Mini instead?

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Ok i found why furmark didn't use my voltage.

I tryed at 100% fan speed and i get 64°C @1911Mhz. It s not quiet but my PSU is way noisier.

At 70% fan speed which is acceptable noise, i get 80°C.

Reactions: wesbl

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Ok i found why furmark didn't use my voltage.

I tryed at 100% fan speed and i get 64°C @1911Mhz. It s not quiet but my PSU is way noisier.

At 70% fan speed which is acceptable noise, i get 80°C.

So I was right; far more hotter than MSI GTX 1070 Aero Itx, and this one has quieter fan (low noise also at 100%). Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
The gigabyte 1080 run hotter it's true. With a bigger GPU and less powerfull cooler it was expected. But i had some intuition it wasn't the gigabyte only fault. The gigabyte seems to expulse a tons of air in the front and i have no vent on my front panel.

So i remove my front panel and only it, i let the side and top panel so it could be better. I could try open air but i don't want to remove all my build :D. Here is the result @1911Mhz :

100% Fan speed : 53°C
70% Fan speed : 64°C
58% Fan speed (Fan set to auto) : 74°C

So i think i was right, the design of my case keep all the hot air inside and the gigabyte runs way hotter by 16°C at 70% fan speed. I think with more vents in front i can expect at least 10°C less.

The MSI 1070 Aero seems to have same design and expulse hot air if the front. So i think in my case i will face the same problem.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The gigabyte 1080 run hotter it's true. With a bigger GPU and less powerfull cooler it was expected. But i had some intuition it wasn't the gigabyte only fault. The gigabyte seems to expulse a tons of air in the front and i have no vent on my front panel.

So i remove my front panel and only it, i let the side and top panel so it could be better open air but i don't want to remove all my build. Here is the result @1911Mhz :

So i think i was right, the design of my case keep all the hot air inside and the gigabyte runs way hotter by 16°C at 70% fan speed. I think with more vents in front i can expect at least 10°C less.

Yes the Gigabyte ITX cards definitely benefit from a vent directly in front of the card. They vent at least 50% of their exhaust air in that direction.

Reactions: cmyk78

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017

So i remove my front panel and only it, i let the side and top panel so it could be better. I could try open air but i don't want to remove all my build :D. Here is the result @1911Mhz :

The MSI 1070 Aero seems to have same design and expulse hot air if the front. So i think in my case i will face the same problem.

Yes, same design but bigger fan for the MSI.
What chassis are you using?

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
Yes the Gigabyte ITX cards definitely benefit from a vent directly in front of the card. They vent at least 50% of their exhaust air in that direction.
I'm sorry, by front do you mean the fan side of the card or the part that faces the front of the case?

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
all these 'mini itx' cards should be single slot-able. by that i don't mean the cooler must be, but the IO card - so that people *could* pop a water block on them and have a single slot card, if they wanted.

Reactions: cmyk78 and wesbl

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
all these 'mini itx' cards should be single slot-able. by that i don't mean the cooler must be, but the IO card - so that people *could* pop a water block on them and have a single slot card, if they wanted.

Like the Nano :(