GPU Geforce 20 series (RTX) discussion thread (E: 2070 Review unbargo!)

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
The 2070 FE is also 9 inches long, which while it is not really ITX sized it is 1.5 inches shorter than reference and could still fit some more compact spaces with that. Realistically if I were to get a RTX card it would be the 2070 for lower cost and its potential for smaller size.

I also overlooked the rear facing connection for power, thank you for pointing that out.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm much more excited about the benefits of DLSS on RTX than Ray Tracing nexessarily, although I freaking love ray tracing and spent years just modelling and rendering things in Mental Ray for lols.

2070 looks to be a great option, and despite potentially only offering 10% more performance than a 1080, the better cooler design and feature in combination with similar power draw is very compelling. These performance gaps will only grow with added support for DLSS and RT.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The only thing that is a potential concern for the FE design is 0 RPM mode. I have this weird feeling it won't be supported.

Otherwise, it looks much better than any of the AIB designs I've seen so far. I'm especially disappointed by EVGA's design, it looks like they put the card in a disposable plastic container -- and when you go to take it out you realize, no that's the shroud.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well, at least their Precision software looks nicer..

Reactions: Acalanata

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
2070 looks to be a great option, and despite potentially only offering 10% more performance than a 1080, the better cooler design and feature in combination with similar power draw is very compelling. These performance gaps will only grow with added support for DLSS and RT.

I am interested in a 2070. The new card will replace a 780Ti and the performance boost should be significant. And I aint the same gamer like I was 5 years ago, 2070 should be ideal for my new build.

Otherwise, it looks much better than any of the AIB designs I've seen so far. I'm especially disappointed by EVGA's design, it looks like they put the card in a disposable plastic container -- and when you go to take it out you realize, no that's the shroud.
Obviously this transparent shroud is meant for maximum RGB effect. I cannot wait for this fad to pass, the sooner the better.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I am interested in a 2070. The new card will replace a 780Ti and the performance boost should be significant. And I aint the same gamer like I was 5 years ago, 2070 should be ideal for my new build.

Obviously this transparent shroud is meant for maximum RGB effect. I cannot wait for this fad to pass, the sooner the better.
I don't mind RGB if it's implemented in a discrete way. Like Motherboards with edge lighting that provides some back-glow effect, all for it. Shoving it down your throat though like some brands do really doesn't work for me. I actually prefer my GPU's RGB free and then just have a hidden strip to light the GPU up like I have in my A4.

But I 100% agree, the EVGA implementation is cheap and will probably be revised within 3 months to a plain silver shroud like the awesome 1080ti FTW3 cards.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have done a brief survey of 2080/2080Ti of various manufacturers to check out their appearance. In addition to the common deployment of RGB, it seems to me that many are using cheap looking tacky plastic for the shroud. This is, of course, subjective. And it could also be the poor quality of the pictures, giving me a false impression of the poor quality of the shroud material. Furthermore, I am not sure if this choice of shroud design (both the material quality and the frame itself) is related to the RGB effect, eg certain plastic would be better reflective of the RGB effect?
So far, Gigabyte and Zotac appear to be relatively normal to me, while the Inno3D+Palit+Gainward+MSI are fairly ugly.
/rant

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Wondering if folks who preordered are speaking up at all, or mostly just critical folks criticizing the RTX launch.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Tech Jesus had me LMAO on this one!

Toms used to be a half decent site before it was sold. Not one I visit these days.

Interested to see how RTX really performs and if people who preordered will return them if it’s not enough to justify the cost.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
so lazy day today ( ,_, I don't have as much time as I could just spend like this) and I did some thinking about the 20 series stack:
  • There were rumors of Ampere but it didn't fruition. However, if the leaks on Ampere hardware still holds, there's a vague chance that there might be a mid-cycle high-end update (but still would be out of character for Nvidia, but that'd depend on how anxious they are on getting DXRT/RTX to shade at 4K60 or 1080p120. but maybe it's for Quadros, so...)
  • There is definitely a visible shift up the price tiers, especially when they de-emphasized titans from Geforce, and it looks like the 2080ti is in the range of the early-gen Titans. however that leaves the gap about where the Pascal Titan Xes sat. So maybe there's either a 2090, or if an early update comes that'll be the (Ampere?) 2180ti.
  • There was a 1070ti, but the 2080 and 2070 are priced quite close to each other. there might be a high chance a 2070ti might not exist, but that'll depend on extra details of the smaller Turings used in the 2080 and the 2070 (the 2070 might be a full chip of a smaller design, but no confirmation yet) (EDIT: wait the 1070ti was a cut-down 1080 ,_,)
  • if it IS the GTX 2060 and it doesn't have tensor cores, pricing might be crazy if we go off by the traditional rendering performance improvements.

here's to 1H next year ,_,

Toms used to be a half decent site before it was sold. Not one I visit these days.
which is strange because Anandtech is under the same company (and now both under the new one) o_o

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I really want AMD to put out a Vega 128 (however silly it may be) because why the hell not? New nuclear reactor!

Either way,AMD needs to put development into hyperdrive if we want anything good.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
AMD definitely HAS to do something after DX Raytracing is now a thing ._.
AMD already has support for DX12 and Vulkan Real Time Ray Tracing, but for the moment only on the Pro cards (they call it "Radeon Rays" or something like that).

If anything, I don't expect them to reveal hardware support on consumer cards before their next GPU (not refresh). Let's first see how RTX pans out as a proprietary tech, as 1080p @ 30fps on the RTX 2080Ti doesn't sound appealing yet.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I preordered, I'm due to receive a 2080 Ti from the first batch on Sept 20th. There are definitely pros and cons to the card and I've spoken to both, but so far I'm leaning toward canceling. I'll make a final decision a few days before it ships.

TLDR At the very least, if you can cancel and your credit card doesn't get charged, why would you not preorder. You can even time your preorder to get the second batch after all the reviews have come out and then make your decision (tho I'm sure we'll get plenty of leaks before Sept 20th).

The article from Tom's was ignorant, but the response from Gamers Nexus was just as ignorant. With preorders, you run a cost-benefit analysis and decide if it's worth placing a preorder based on the information you have and information you'll get before it ships, as well as the cancellation and return policy of the vendor. Blanket statements like "never preorder" are as useful as "always preorder" in they ignore a whole spectrum of variables.

With any hot hardware product, unless you sit there and refresh like a madman and preorder immediately at announcement, you may be looking at 2-3 months before you can get the thing at MSRP. That's what happened with the 10-series, launched end of May 2016 and the 1080 was not available at MSRP until end of August. Similar thing with Google's Pixel phones and many other products. The fact Steve couldn't wrap his mind around the idea that there's value in that 3 months was astonishing to me. Or the 1080 Ti-related rant where he couldn't understand the long-term value of getting stuff at the beginning of a production cycle. If your choice is between a 1080 Ti for $550 now or a 2080 for $700 3 weeks from now, you should obviously get the 2080. Anyway... I love GN, but sometimes it's amazing how obtuse they can be in their attacks, they make it personal or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdZ and Phuncz

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I preordered, I'm due to receive a 2080 Ti from the first batch on Sept 20th. There are definitely pros and cons to the card and I've spoken to both, but so far I'm leaning toward canceling. I'll make a final decision a few days before it ships.

TLDR At the very least, if you can cancel and your credit card doesn't get charged, why would you not preorder. You can even time it to get the second batch after all the reviews have come out (but I'm sure we'll get plenty of leaks before Sept 20th).

The article from Tom's was ignorant, but the response from Gamers Nexus was just as ignorant. With preorders, you run a cost-benefit analysis and decide if it's worth placing a preorder based on the information you have and information you'll get before it ships, as well as the cancellation and return policy of the vendor. Blanket statements like "never preorder" are as useful as "always preorder" in they ignore a whole spectrum of variables.

With any hot hardware product, unless you sit there and refresh like a madman and preorder immediately at announcement, you may be looking at 2-3 months before you can get the thing at MSRP. That's what happened with the 10-series, launched end of May 2016 and the 1080 was not available at MSRP until end of August. Similar thing with Google's Pixel phones and many other products. The fact Steve couldn't wrap his mind around the idea that there's value in that 3 months was astonishing to me. Or the 1080 Ti-related rant where he couldn't understand the long-term value of getting stuff at the beginning of a production cycle. If your choice is between a 1080 Ti for $550 now or a 2080 for $700 3 weeks from now, you should obviously get the 2080. Anyway... I love GN, but sometimes it's amazing how obtuse they can be in their attacks, they make it personal or something.

To most of their viewers, it doesn't make sense to preorder. Unless you have money just burning in your pocket, I would say in general it is irresponsible to buy a product before you know how it performs in real life, user-relevant scenarios. I don't think his advice is misplaced at all, especially when you are talking about a $800+ purchase. An article yelling at readers to purchase a card before benchmarks are even released reeks of little more than an advertisement, rather than good journalism.