G-Unique Plug&Play DC-ATX Oversea Edition Preview

What price do G-Unique Plug&Play units deserved?

• Lower than pico units (assuming same wattage)

• About the same as pico units (assuming same wattage)

• A little bit higher than pico units (assuming same wattage)

• Much higher than pico units (assuming same wattage)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
[mod edit] Please refer to this thread for those wanting to purchase a G-Unique unit: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bto-psus-are-now-available-direct-order.1983/

Howdy guys! :D

It's been a long wait but guryhwa have finally completed his design on the Plug&Play DC-ATX Oversea Edition. For those who aren't familiar with the G-Unique Plug&Play units, it is a pico-like PSU with a really small footprint and can hold a lot of juice! XD

So what makes the G-Unique Plug&Play remain such a small footprint but still can take virtually any dc input you can throw at it? Let's start by looking at all the components it used:

G-Unique originate full-back capacitor design

By using the best components on the market, G-Unique Plug&Play units can handle up to 40A 12V. The only thing that's limiting it is the DC power brick! :D
Also, by directly soldered both input and output cables onto it, G-Unique Plug&Play units maximized its reliability and minimized heat generation&cable wear.

We can also provide non-cables edition for people who wants to customize their cables/ connectors:

Cable soldering reference:

A default, 120W units include:
  • The Plug&Play unit
  • DC power supply
  • 25cm 4pin/8pin cable (20awg PTFE silver plated wire)
  • 30cm+15cm sata*2 cables (20awg PTFE silver plated wire)
  • DC input cable (16awg silicone wire)
  • 5.5*2.5 DC connector
We also accept custom requests, including custom wattage(maximum 400w), custom dc connector & custom cable length.

For HIFI enthusiasts, we also offer upgrades to the capacitors, from the default Kemet KO T520 to the EXTREME KEMET T530 series KM, which provide a larger capacity, lower ESR, fewer output ripples & more stable voltage under dynamic currents!

the much thicker KEMET T530 series KM

Please reply down below if you are interested in such version so we know that people will want this kind of upgrades :)

Now for some images :D

We haven't had a price for them in mind yet, so I'm here asking you guys to give us a hand, help us decide what price the G-Unique Plug&Play units deserves!

Thanks for reading this thread and completing the pool! :)

Whick has two Dual Phase Interleaved DC2DC PWM circuits, one for 5V rail one for 3.3V rail,each capable of 30A current (PWM IC, mos & Inductor parameter, may be derated by working temperature), with unique active ripple-canceling technology, all Kemet T530 Multiple Polymer-Tantalum Anodes Capacitors,CoilCraft large current inductor & MPS PWM IC.

Last edited by a moderator:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Looking good. First question that come to mind though, wouldn't that 5.5*2.5 barrel totally melt at the current you're advertising?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Will higher wattage versions be heatsinked? 400w seems like a lot of load for passive dispersion by individual components. Even at 95% efficiency that's still 20W of heat to deal with.

danger

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2017
I'd like to see a higher wattage part and whether you could keep the same footprint at 250 or 300w.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
Will higher wattage versions be heatsinked? 400w seems like a lot of load for passive dispersion by individual components. Even at 95% efficiency that's still 20W of heat to deal with.

hi all
i am gury,the designer and maker of this little 24pin type dcatx.

let me explain to you ,this type of dcatx is a 12V input one ,so,it has only very little heat dissipation cause i used thetop grade of N-mosfet acts as a LOAD switch on it,it is IR7739 ,which RdsON is only 0.0007 oh when fully drived.that means if you let 30A 12V current pass the IR7739,it just send out only 30*30*0.0007 =0.63 watts of heat,and it dont need any extra cooling.

the only heat it sends out is come from the DC2DC circuit's components, mos the inductor,even in heavy load ,the heat is acceptable.

but
in my design,the 24pin dcatx can be easily set to a 300watts or 400watts one,in these high power application ,i will let the 24pin dcatx itself only deal with the Motherboard power comsumption through 24pin connector,which may be 30watts likely or less.the large current supplirs to CPU and GPU i will let them go through an independent control board that synced. with the 24pin dcatx ,the dcatx acts as a main controled unit.
just like this,note where the pci-e and cpu wired come from:

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I'm in for a 250W custom unit, with a 7.4mm barrel connector and PCIE 6pin connector.
I do not have height constraints.

How does it work ? What are the delays ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Personally I don't care about the price, but that it costs what it is worth. If it is as good as the PicoPSU (in independent testing), I want to pay the same as the PicoPSU. If it is better (also with independent testing), I am willing to pay more. If it isn't as good as the PicoPSU, I wouldn't even buy it, personally.

I am very curious about these since they look like high quality power supplies in more than a few ways.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
hi all
i am gury,the designer and maker of this little 24pin type dcatx.

let me explain to you ,this type of dcatx is a 12V input one ,so,it has only very little heat dissipation cause i used thetop grade of N-mosfet acts as a LOAD switch on it,it is IR7739 ,which RdsON is only 0.0007 oh when fully drived.that means if you let 30A 12V current pass the IR7739,it just send out only 30*30*0.0007 =0.63 watts of heat,and may it dont need any extra cooling.

the only heat it sends out is come from the DC2DC circuit's components, mos the inductor,even in heavy load ,the heat is acceptable.

but
in my design,the 24pin dcatx can be easily set to a 300watts or 400watts one,in these high power application ,i will let the 24pin dcatx itself only deal with the Motherboard power comsumption through 24pin connector,which may be 30watts likely or less.the large current supplirs to CPU and GPU i will let them go through an independent control board that synced. with the 24pin dcatx ,the dcatx acts as a main controled unit.
just like this,note where the pci-e and cpu wired come from:

So then what is the highest wattage you think this could do without the independent control board? If there is a second PCB for anything higher than say 200w, then why buy this over a pico-psu that can do the same thing?

Also, how large is the independent control board? Even if it is required over a certain wattage, it may reduce cable clutter compared to a 300w HDPLEX.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I personally wouldn't try and compete with the PicoPSU and now HDPLEX direct plug units at their current voltage 160-200W. I would go for higher wattage and charge a premium. That is the current gap in products on the market.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
It looks very promising, and it definitely catches my attention, as I've been looking at the upcoming/current direct-plug PicoPSU's. I am liking the asthetics of this PSU, and the fact that it is slim and doesn't seem as thick as other direct plug PicoPSU's, which is also another contributing factor. If heat dissipation is low, or even if it was a bit thicker (requiring a heat sink), but capable of outputting 400 watts maximum and capable of prolonged use; it definitely has my attention.

With that said, will the unit be capable of functioning for prolonged amounts of time, such as 8+ hours of gaming/stress tests without failing or dying?

Also, if it is true that the unit can provide a maximum amount of 400 watts, you would be removing an issue that I've had with direct-plug PicoPSU's, despite my liking for them. However, I am curious as to where a consumer would get a 400 watt external brick?

In addition to this, because this unit would be sufficient for 400 watts, I would assume your target for consumers would be the SFF enthusiasts that want to power higher end GPU's, but with a very small unit unlike other competitors? Perhaps even some of the community members that would like to provide power to something like an R9 NANO or ASUS 970 Mini?

Reactions: Soul_Est

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
If I understand correctly - the capacitor banks (upgrade-able for hiifi) are just for the 3.3v and 5v rails? Since the 12v rail is passed straight through, wouldn't upgrading the capacitors not help much, since most modern computers rely heavily on the 12v rail? Very nice product though, I'd definitely buy one or several.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
If I understand correctly - the capacitor banks (upgrade-able for hiifi) are just for the 3.3v and 5v rails? Since the 12v rail is passed straight through, wouldn't upgrading the capacitors not help much, since most modern computers rely heavily on the 12v rail? Very nice product though, I'd definitely buy one or several.
Dont worry about the 12V filtering,there are nine Kemet T520 organic polymer tantalum capacitors on upper line act as the 12V bulks capacitor and share with the usage of 3.3V/5V DC2DC circuits input filter/decoupling capacitor,on the lower line there are also nine Kemet T520 organic polymer tantalum capacitors act as output filter capacitor of 3.3V/5V.