Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Removing the short fan bracket is not a great idea since most cases I've seen use them for 240 aio mounting.
I think this is a real downgrade, and it makes me happy that I have the older case at home.
Looking at screws on top of the case is just very ugly when the overall esthetic is so clean and expensive looking.
The one back plate idea could be a downgrade as well but that really depends on how it's designed so to early to tell for me.
Other than that having different options for the internal layout is great.

I would appreciate it if you can confirm that parts will become accessible in the future for the old case. I need a silver front panel. Not a problem to wait for it, but eventually I do need it.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Removing the short fan bracket is not a great idea since most cases I've seen use them for 240 aio mounting.
I think this is a real downgrade, and it makes me happy that I have the older case at home.
Looking at screws on top of the case is just very ugly when the overall esthetic is so clean and expensive looking.
The one back plate idea could be a downgrade as well but that really depends on how it's designed so to early to tell for me.
Other than that having different options for the internal layout is great.

I would appreciate it if you can confirm that parts will become accessible in the future for the old case. I need a silver front panel. Not a problem to wait for it, but eventually I do need it.

Noted about Short Fan Bracket
Noted about Black Plate

One of the reasons to make the Classic V1.2 is to continue providing parts for V1.0 and V1.1, let's see how production goes.

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020

This was my first thought, too - I can't recall many 240 builds that don't use the short one (especially with the popular 3x fan setups).

better to mount 240 AIO directly on Top/Bottom Panel

Do you mean screwing the 240 radiator to the top mesh panel? That would be horrible user experience - who would want that? Everytime you open up the case you have to lift the squeezed in radiator out of position? Wouldn't that make hard tubing impossible, too?

- one backplate for 2-Slot, 2.5-Slot, and 3-Slot GPU mode (working on 2.75-Slot, screw hole too close to 2.5-Slot)
- one backplate for 1.5-Slot GPU mode
This is great! If these were compatible with 1.1 I would love to get both of these new backplates for mine.

Last edited:

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Pretty much every custom loop build uses the short fan bracket because it sits lower than the long one by a few mm. That's the only way to fit a 27mm thick radiator with 15mm thick fans.
Can the long bracket be lowered by a few mm to match the short bracket?

drmarkuse

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 13, 2020
Just got the case and plan to put a 3070 Fe in 3 slot GPU mode, but offsetting the rizer to two slot GPU, to have some airflow at the back of the card. My question is how to do that the best way:
1. Insert the 3 slot GPU backplate, leave the middle spine strut in 3 slot GPU mode, but put the rizer strut in 2 slot mode. In this case, I would add the long standoffs instead of the short once for the mainboard to the back of the rizer strut. Problem: the long standoffs hit the rizer cable board and cant be screwed in.
2. Insert the 3 slot GPU backplate, leave the middle spine strut in 3 slot GPU mode and put the rizer strut in 3 slot mode. Then offset the rizer cable with the long standoffs.

Sounds more complicated written, than it is. Anybody has experience offsetting the GPU, will the second version work?

Thank you.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I think the point is cutting production cost and simplifying the case.
The longer I think about it the more I wonder why 120mm rads keep being supported when it's obvious that the vast majority of users want either a 240 or even dual rad build.
The ever more power hungry components would make this a logical investment too, so I don't really see the need for the 120mm support myself. It's not a htpc case after all.
Redesigning the horizontal struts might be more cost effective so that seperate brackets for mounting one or two rads would not be needed anymore.
You'd lose some accessibility though as removing the rad would require disassembling the case.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I think the point is cutting production cost and simplifying the case.
The longer I think about it the more I wonder why 120mm rads keep being supported when it's obvious that the vast majority of users want either a 240 or even dual rad build.
The ever more power hungry components would make this a logical investment too, so I don't really see the need for the 120mm support myself. It's not a htpc case after all.
Redesigning the horizontal struts might be more cost effective so that seperate brackets for mounting one or two rads would not be needed anymore.
You'd lose some accessibility though as removing the rad would require disassembling the case.

this case was made for 120mm AIOs originally. The fact that 240mm rads fit was a coincidence and support for it was added after.
A 120 rad is still plenty for most people too.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Just got the case and plan to put a 3070 Fe in 3 slot GPU mode, but offsetting the rizer to two slot GPU, to have some airflow at the back of the card. My question is how to do that the best way:
1. Insert the 3 slot GPU backplate, leave the middle spine strut in 3 slot GPU mode, but put the rizer strut in 2 slot mode. In this case, I would add the long standoffs instead of the short once for the mainboard to the back of the rizer strut. Problem: the long standoffs hit the rizer cable board and cant be screwed in.
2. Insert the 3 slot GPU backplate, leave the middle spine strut in 3 slot GPU mode and put the rizer strut in 3 slot mode. Then offset the rizer cable with the long standoffs.

Sounds more complicated written, than it is. Anybody has experience offsetting the GPU, will the second version work?

Thank you.

Install in 2-Slot GPU mode.

SFX PSU Bracket, use *two 20mm standoffs to space away from the back of the 3070 FE GPU.

That should do it.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
this case was made for 120mm AIOs originally. The fact that 240mm rads fit was a coincidence and support for it was added after.
A 120 rad is still plenty for most people too.
I know this, but I don't think it is a logical choice since cpu's and gpu's are only getting more powerful and hotter.
I'm just saying that if they want to cut support for a rad, to me it would be more logical to cut support for a 120
It's not like you'd buy a 250 dollar case to cheap out on the aio.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I know this, but I don't think it is a logical choice since cpu's and gpu's are only getting more powerful and hotter.
I'm just saying that if they want to cut support for a rad, to me it would be more logical to cut support for a 120
It's not like you'd buy a 250 dollar case to cheap out on the aio.
I can't imagine a way to support 240mm rads but not a 120mm.

Reactions: PKAWA

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020

2021-01-12: T1 Classic V1.2 update feature list atm:​

- remove *one Strut 3 on motherboard side for easier installation (tested and doesn't affected rigidity)
- remove Short Fan Bracket (only useful for *some 240 AIO mounting, better to mount 240 AIO directly on Top/Bottom Panel)
- update Long Fan Bracket (2 screws instead of 3 screws for mounting)
- one backplate for 2-Slot, 2.5-Slot, and 3-Slot GPU mode (working on 2.75-Slot, screw hole too close to 2.5-Slot)
- one backplate for 1.5-Slot GPU mode
- *maybe 240 AIO mounting on the Mobo Side for *slim fan dual 240 radiator setup.

One of the reasons to make the Classic V1.2 is to continue providing parts for V1.0 and V1.1, let's see how production goes.

NO ETA ON PRODUCTION, because we just don't know.

Please give us some feedback on features.
I concur with the comments against removing the short fan bracket. It would make the build much more difficult and less clean.

Which strut on the motherboard side is being removed? Is it one of the struts the radiator is mounted on or the one the PSU is partially mounted on?

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I concur with the comments against removing the short fan bracket. It would make the build much more difficult and less clean.

Which strut on the motherboard side is being removed? Is it one of the struts the radiator is mounted on or the one the PSU is partially mounted on?

totally agree, that short bracket holds my radiator in place !!

#Wahaha360
pls, change your mind, I want to get next version with updated gpu compartment !

(Let me preface this by saying ....

as I mentioned those small brackets are NOT just for 120mm fan, it holds my 240mm radiator in place !!

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
By not including the longer brackets for example. No mounting points anymore that way if you don't want to use the top panel in that way.
But 120mm rads can still be mounted to the top panel, right? It's not making sense to me that 240 can be supported exclusively with no 120mm support.

Reactions: PKAWA

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
(Let me preface this by saying that this is my opinion and I think the case is brilliant as is. I appreciate what @Wahaha360 and his team have done for SFF builds. I wanted something like this case for years and it's finally here)

Maybe I look at it from a different angle. Offcourse you are right in observing that a 120 would fit dimension wise when a 240 fits.
But does it make sense to include brackets for it?
I have the feelling that the goal here is less parts, less production cost, and a cleaner build.
I might be wrong offcourse, but to me personallly that's what it sounds like. And with that in mind, I personally would look at maybe redesigning the horizontal beams in a way that no brackets are needed.
Ideally they would also already feature mounting points for a second rad if that is what is actually being looked at.

On the one hand sure this case is designed for a 120m aio but now that dual rad support is officially on the table there is a question to be asked.
To me that would be do I wish to support maximum cooling capability (for a full loop), or do I want to support the minimum neccessity for cpu cooling only right now.
You can have both but since there's talk about discontinuing the smaller brackets I feel a choice is being made.
Looking at the future I would opt to have my focus towards max cooling support only.

If you then choose to have a 120 anyway because that's all you need then you could mount it to the top panel.
In that way it would be supported.

But there's also the option of just sending out a stock pc case kit with additional support brackets being sold as kits.
I mean I have the longer brackets laying here unused and I'll probably never use them. So that's just lost material and production cost.
This is the same for every case out there because you can't have it both ways with one bracket right now.

Without 240 support I would personally never have bought the case because it would have been too niche for my taste, and looking at completed builds I feel like the majority uses 240's so discontinuing support for it with brackets makes no sense to me.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
(Let me preface this by saying that this is my opinion and I think the case is brilliant as is. I appreciate what @Wahaha360 and his team have done for SFF builds. I wanted something like this case for years and it's finally here)

Maybe I look at it from a different angle. Offcourse you are right in observing that a 120 would fit dimension wise when a 240 fits.
But does it make sense to include brackets for it?
I have the feelling that the goal here is less parts, less production cost, and a cleaner build.
I might be wrong offcourse, but to me personallly that's what it sounds like. And with that in mind, I personally would look at maybe redesigning the horizontal beams in a way that no brackets are needed.
Ideally they would also already feature mounting points for a second rad if that is what is actually being looked at.

On the one hand sure this case is designed for a 120m aio but now that dual rad support is officially on the table there is a question to be asked.
To me that would be do I wish to support maximum cooling capability (for a full loop), or do I want to support the minimum neccessity for cpu cooling only right now.
You can have both but since there's talk about discontinuing the smaller brackets I feel a choice is being made.
Looking at the future I would opt to have my focus towards max cooling support only.

If you then choose to have a 120 anyway because that's all you need then you could mount it to the top panel.
In that way it would be supported.

But there's also the option of just sending out a stock pc case kit with additional support brackets being sold as kits.
I mean I have the longer brackets laying here unused and I'll probably never use them. So that's just lost material and production cost.
This is the same for every case out there because you can't have it both ways with one bracket right now.

Without 240 support I would personally never have bought the case because it would have been too niche for my taste, and looking at completed builds I feel like the majority uses 240's so discontinuing support for it with brackets makes no sense to me.
this.

yes by-and-large 120 AIO is sufficient in most use cases but when using top-end CPUs it's like tying 1 hand and 1 leg behind its back. Thus why most enthusiasts go for 240 radiators.

I loved the T1 Classic but there are clearly many things that can be optimized further, to benefit both the team (manufacturing, QA/QC, etc.) and user (compatibility, ease of building, etc.). So glad that v1.2 is going to be a thing. Personally I'm moving on due to my motherboard selection but still have great interest in the case and all the builds you guys are going to make 👍

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
PKAWA,

as I mentioned those small brackets are NOT just for 120mm fan, it holds my 240mm radiator in place !!
I don't think I ever said anything like that?

I think you refer to this line:
"Maybe I look at it from a different angle. Offcourse you are right in observing that a 120 would fit dimension wise when a 240 fits.
But does it make sense to include brackets for it?"

what I was trying to say here is that a 120mm radiator would offcourse fit with the longer brackets, but I was questioning the need to include the longer brackets.

Last edited:

Tundra

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 14, 2020
Pretty much every custom loop build uses the short fan bracket because it sits lower than the long one by a few mm. That's the only way to fit a 27mm thick radiator with 15mm thick fans.
Can the long bracket be lowered by a few mm to match the short bracket?
Lowering the long bracket by a few mm might make it incompatible with the NH-L12s on the Aorus B550i, as someone who has this combination. There's barely any clearance there as-is--the fan bracket is super snug on the heatsink.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
this.

yes by-and-large 120 AIO is sufficient in most use cases but when using top-end CPUs it's like tying 1 hand and 1 leg behind its back. Thus why most enthusiasts go for 240 radiators.

I loved the T1 Classic but there are clearly many things that can be optimized further, to benefit both the team (manufacturing, QA/QC, etc.) and user (compatibility, ease of building, etc.). So glad that v1.2 is going to be a thing. Personally I'm moving on due to my motherboard selection but still have great interest in the case and all the builds you guys are going to make 👍

Curious, what motherboard are you moving to?

X570 Mini-DTX or even bigger form factor?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I don't think I ever said anything like that?

I think you refer to this line:
"Maybe I look at it from a different angle. Offcourse you are right in observing that a 120 would fit dimension wise when a 240 fits.
But does it make sense to include brackets for it?"

what I was trying to say here is that a 120mm radiator would offcourse fit with the longer brackets, but I was questioning the need to include the longer brackets.
Ahh I understand now. I've been viewing this from the perspective of v1.0 where there is no such thing as a long bracket. There's 2 sizes of brackets over the motherboard and 1 size over the PSU. All are "short" such that they cover half the length of the case.

Reactions: eedev and PKAWA