Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is that 9900k on stock Solder or Delid? Either way that's one hot chip haha, think I'll stock to something with less cores. How much warmer can we expect the chip to run in the case?

stock solder, NO delid.

Inside the case you can easily add 3-5C. Then again, these are synergetic benchmarks, real world use will most likely give you better temperatures. That being said, I made some changes to prototype 2 vents to minimize the impact. Only testing will tell.

Last edited:

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
stock solder, NO delid.

Inside the case you can easily add 3-5C. I made changes to prototype 2 vents to minimize the impact. Only testing will tell.

That Koolance 120mm is quite impressive, might have to cop one myself when this case releases. It's a shame the Aijia radiators unperformed(I presume these were the ones in the photo), the exposed copper was quite beautiful. Was the 240mm Aijia run with 2x or 1x Sterrox fans? Would running a 240mm radiator with only 1 fan to fit the case be a bad idea.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
That Koolance 120mm is quite impressive, might have to cop one myself when this case releases. It's a shame the Aijia radiators unperformed(I presume these were the ones in the photo), the exposed copper was quite beautiful. Was the 240mm Aijia run with 2x or 1x Sterrox fans? Would running a 240mm radiator with only 1 fan to fit the case be a bad idea.

The Aijia radiators are not tweaked yet, also why I said no ETA or pricing, I know what must be done to get better performance. This custom radiator is really about getting better temps at 1500RPM, and the looks is a bonus.

All 240mm radiators are tested with one 25mm thick fan towards the G1/4 port and one 15mm thick fan in the back. This is the best approximation for the case.

One fan on 240 radiator might be a bad idea, there will be lots of heat trapped in the radiator.

Last edited:

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016
Just came across this project. Was in the midst of finalizing parts to watercool my Ncase, but after seeing this, my curiosity is piqued: I'd like to make sure whatever parts I buy are compatible with this case.

I was looking at the apogee drive 2. I have a 1080 to SC black 2 (2 slot card). Since it's 2 slot, I believe I should have the clearance for the drive?

I also have an Accelero, but it seems I won't be able to fit it with 25 mm fans, so perhaps keeping the card stock or with the accelero and the stock fans is the way to go (or another option someone could suggest?)

Is it possible for the 120 mm Nemesis GTS rad to be tested?

Will these parts be compatible?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Just came across this project. Was in the midst of finalizing parts to watercool my Ncase, but after seeing this, my curiosity is piqued: I'd like to make sure whatever parts I buy are compatible with this case.

I was looking at the apogee drive 2. I have a 1080 to SC black 2 (2 slot card). Since it's 2 slot, I believe I should have the clearance for the drive?

I also have an Accelero, but it seems I won't be able to fit it with 25 mm fans, so perhaps keeping the card stock or with the accelero and the stock fans is the way to go (or another option someone could suggest?)

Is it possible for the 120 mm Nemesis GTS rad to be tested?

Will these parts be compatible?

In 2 GPU Slot mode, with 70mm CPU cooler clearance, The Apogee Drive 2 will need 30 degree fittings to fit inside this case. See images below.

For GPU, 2 slot GPU with 70mm CPU cooler = must have ventilated GPU side panel. That specific variant will be delayed vs. the regular version. We are having issues cutting holes / vents into tempered glass, Acrylic just feels cheaper. Using aluminum = must anodize = most expensive option.

If you can live with DC-LT Pump Res like the one on Alphacool LT240, you will save CPU cooler height, so you can go 3 slot GPU mode in this case. That means you can have your Accelero with stock fans (NOT 25mm thick) on 3 GPU slot of space, a tempered glass side panel without vents might be a non-issue for thermals since you have dual 120x25mm bellowing so close to the GPU.

Last edited:

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
In 2 GPU Slot mode, with 70mm CPU cooler clearance, The Apogee Drive 2 will need 30 degree fittings to fit inside this case. See images below.

For GPU, 2 slot GPU with 70mm CPU cooler = must have ventilated GPU side panel. That specific variant will be delayed vs. the regular version. We are having issues cutting holes / vents into tempered glass, Acrylic just feels cheaper. Using aluminum = must anodize = most expensive option.

If you can live with DC-LT Pump Res like the one on Alphacool LT240, you will save CPU cooler height, so you can go 3 slot GPU mode in this case. That means you can have your Accelero with stock fans (NOT 25mm thick) on 3 GPU slot of space, a tempered glass side panel without vents might be a non-issue for thermals since you have dual 120x25mm bellowing so close to the GPU.

Sorry if I didn’t understand correctly. But just to be clear, will the variant with ventilated aluminum panels also be delayed or just the ventilated tempered glass panels?

Thank you!

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016

Thanks for your detailed response. I was under the impression that the Accelero's performance with it's stock fans isn't particularly worth it. It shines with 25 mm fans. If anyone knows better than me, please let me know.

I may also end up selling my NCase to my friend (for his build), negating the value of the Apogee/rad/etc combo.

I will wait and see how this amazing case continues to develop and do a little extra research on my end.

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks for your detailed response. I was under the impression that the Accelero's performance with it's stock fans isn't particularly worth it. It shines with 25 mm fans. If anyone knows better than me, please let me know.

I may also end up selling my NCase to my friend (for his build), negating the value of the Apogee/rad/etc combo.

I will wait and see how this amazing case continues to develop and do a little extra research on my end.

Accelero stock fans are still pretty damn good. They're just not as good as 2 full size 25mm fans.

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
For all of the people asking about support for two 25mm fans, has anyone purchased and tried the XSPC ultra thin radiator? It's only a little bit over 20mm thick, so with a 25mm fan it only adds up to around 45mm. Same as a 30mm rad plus 15mm fan. Maybe a thin radiator like that would be able to cool better with two 25mm fans than the suggested setup here? Just a thought.

Link to mentioned radiator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNXCLCJ/?tag=theminutiae-20

Raptor_N60

Caliper Novice
Nov 5, 2018
For all of the people asking about support for two 25mm fans, has anyone purchased and tried the XSPC ultra thin radiator? It's only a little bit over 20mm thick, so with a 25mm fan it only adds up to around 45mm. Same as a 30mm rad plus 15mm fan. Maybe a thin radiator like that would be able to cool better with two 25mm fans than the suggested setup here? Just a thought.

Link to mentioned radiator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNXCLCJ/?tag=theminutiae-20
The TX240 has already been tested:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sidearmd-case-cnc-aio-9-35l.9933/page-15#post-135976

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

I will re-test the TX240 on my open bench this weekend just to keep things as consistent as I can.

Reactions: fabio

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016

Personally, I'd like to see that support for 2x25mm fans+240 radiator (max 30mm thick). IDK If that's too compromising of Wahaha's vision or not.

If it is, could the Nemesis GTS 120mm be tested?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Prototype update:
Personally, I'd like to see that support for 2x25mm fans+240 radiator (max 30mm thick). IDK If that's too compromising of Wahaha's vision or not.

If it is, could the Nemesis GTS 120mm be tested?

HWL GTS120 is 133mm wide, it’s wider than the case, so it won’t fit. From a performance perspective, it’s not going to be *measurably better than HWL LS120 tested.

Is there a temperature range you had in mind for both CPU and GPU?

I say this b/c dual 25mm thick fans + 240 might be just 2-3C better, so curious what you had in mind for temp range.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
I know you said it's not possible before, but is there just no way you can alter the design so the front is one piece?

Currently the case has the same dilemma as Ghost S1, where you want the small piece on the bottom because it looks better, but then cooling suffers.

Which really hurts. Because like you said components are getting hotter to hit higher performance. So cooling should be as good as possible in a given size. But then when people are considering $200+ for a case, you want the best and cleanest look.

Perhaps be more ambitious, crowd fund, and get to a economy of scale where one piece front panel is possible? I know I'm asking for a lot. But really, SideArmD has the potential to be the absolute best. No compromise performance and in a tiny tiny package.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I know you said it's not possible before, but is there just no way you can alter the design so the front is one piece?

Currently the case has the same dilemma as Ghost S1, where you want the small piece on the bottom because it looks better, but then cooling suffers.

Which really hurts. Because like you said components are getting hotter to hit higher performance. So cooling should be as good as possible in a given size. But then when people are considering $200+ for a case, you want the best and cleanest look.

Perhaps be more ambitious, crowd fund, and get to a economy of scale where one piece front panel is possible? I know I'm asking for a lot. But really, SideArmD has the potential to be the absolute best. No compromise performance and in a tiny tiny package.

The Front is two piece for 1) ease of installation, 2) cable mgmt and 3) color combos. It’s a lot to sacrifice to make it one piece.

What do you mean the performance suffers? At the moment, the cooling capacity should be on par with most aluminum 240AIOs. I get that compatibility is limited, but cooling is overkill for majority of people.

If you are worried about cooling Ryzen 3000 CPUs, I have some insider info, I ran a 200W+ test for a reason, so if all goes well, should be ok.

So what is the CPU + OC + Temp + Fan Speed are you looking to get?

Last edited:

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
The Front is two piece for 1) ease of installation, 2) cable mgmt and 3) color combos. It’s a lot to sacrifice to make it one piece.

What do you mean the performance suffers? At the moment, the cooling capacity fshould be on par with most aluminum 240AIOs. I get that compatibility is limited, but cooling is overkill for majority of people.

If you are worried about cooling Ryzen 3000 CPUs, I have some insider info, I ran a 200W+ test for a reason, so if all goes well, should be ok.

So what is the CPU + OC + Temp + Fan Speed are you looking to get?
Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

What I meant by performance suffering is that, 1. you can have the rad on the bottom(the smaller piece of the front panel on the bottom), which looks better.
2. You can flip so the rad is on the top. Better cooling performance but doesn't look as good as option 1.

So I'm saying that for a 2 piece design, the user needs to choose between aesthetics vs performance. Of course aesthetics is subjective but I would say most agree rad on bottom looks better.

Edit: If I'm still being unclear: Option 1 is like that CES2019 photo of the case being next to Ghost S1.
Option2 is like that rendered size comparison with other sff cases.

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I’ve seen a few numbers and charts thrown around, but can anyone point me toward empirical testing of component temperatures with varying airflow clearance for case fans and/or radiator fans? E.g. holding fan speed constant, my gpu temps seemed to drop a few degrees when I propped up my M1 so the bottom intake fans got better airflow. Obviously there’s a little more at play in this case for the top vs bottom orientations (push vs pull, positive vs negative pressure).

And thank you again for keeping the first post updated, it’s so handy for quickly reviewing the project’s current state

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Also for that cooler test you did, it seems strange that D15 would perform worse than Corsair H60.

Optimum Tech did a recent video and D15 was 5.5℃ cooler than NZXT X52, a 240mm AIO. Using Noctua Sterrox fans on X52 made it slightly cooler, but still 5.2℃ hotter than D15 stock fans.