Hi all guys,
I come from this system:
INTEL i7-6850K overclocked to 4.6 all 6 cores
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
G.SKILL Ripjaws4 16 GB 3333 MHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
XFT 850W
SAMSUNG 250GB 840 Evo 2.5" + 2 TB WD
with a custom water loop by alphacool (360 + 280 radiator + D5 pump + 250 mm reservoir) and EK (CPU and GPU block) + all noctua fans 2x140 + 3 x 120
Corsair C70 vengeance as a case.

I build this PC in different steps , adding and changing components time to time. I thought that going with a custom loop would have made my system super quiet, but i was wrong... pump noise + all fans make a lot of noise even at low rpm. Beside this i like to move my pc next to my 4k tv to play some movies and it simply weights too much and it s too big. I made the mistake to go hard tubing so even when I wanted to make little changes i had to drain the system. Not to mention the huge cost of a custom water loop and those components (at the time AMD sucked). Moreover Broadwell generation heated a lot and i didn't want to delid the cpu. Let's say i took away my desire of watercooling and overclocking stuff.

So finally I decided to downsize in a spectacular fascion! I want a simple system with only what i need. No water loops or AIO but only air. I want it to be small but with good thermals (so i decided Ncase M1 which i bought this morning!!!!!!! (in silver! ) ) and silet. I still have to buy most of the components but it should be more or less like this:

Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS strix b450 (after bios update)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (i need more ram because i use some engineering software )
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (I ll keep it because i mainly play FPS like battelfield and COD (Modern warefare ones), and cities skylines type of games, in 1080 60Hz )
SAMSUNG 250GB (already have)
1 or 2 TB intel 660p M.2 Nvme
to cool cpu i ll start with stock cooler and move to C14s if needed (I plan to overclock it a bit but not to squeeze each MHz out of it).

So i m here to ask u guys:
what do u think about this build/any suggestion?
Do I have to go with C14s straight away or not?
I d like to use those new thermal pads like the thermal grizzly carbonaut... are they worth it? are they needed in M1?
Lastly PSU... i was looking at corsair SF600 platinum , but SF750 platinum is only 20 euro more... what would u chose? i may upgrade to a used 1080ti in future (i know that i could still use the 600 ).
What about the EVGA super nova 650 w sfx?

I want to tank all the people who partecitated in this forum because I learned so much reading all the previous post about the Ncsae M1, and i want to tank in advise all of those who will answer my questions!

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
Hey buddy,
nice to have you on board of the hype train. I got one bummer for you. Your gpu will not fit the case. It is too wide. I know that because I am having the same modell and I just switched to make it fit. The gaming x series uses an extra wide custom pcb that exeeds the dimensions of the NCase.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Hi all guys,
I come from this system:
INTEL i7-6850K overclocked to 4.6 all 6 cores
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
G.SKILL Ripjaws4 16 GB 3333 MHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
XFT 850W
SAMSUNG 250GB 840 Evo 2.5" + 2 TB WD
with a custom water loop by alphacool (360 + 280 radiator + D5 pump + 250 mm reservoir) and EK (CPU and GPU block) + all noctua fans 2x140 + 3 x 120
Corsair C70 vengeance as a case.

I build this PC in different steps , adding and changing components time to time. I thought that going with a custom loop would have made my system super quiet, but i was wrong... pump noise + all fans make a lot of noise even at low rpm. Beside this i like to move my pc next to my 4k tv to play some movies and it simply weights too much and it s too big. I made the mistake to go hard tubing so even when I wanted to make little changes i had to drain the system. Not to mention the huge cost of a custom water loop and those components (at the time AMD sucked). Moreover Broadwell generation heated a lot and i didn't want to delid the cpu. Let's say i took away my desire of watercooling and overclocking stuff.

So finally I decided to downsize in a spectacular fascion! I want a simple system with only what i need. No water loops or AIO but only air. I want it to be small but with good thermals (so i decided Ncase M1 which i bought this morning!!!!!!! (in silver! ) ) and silet. I still have to buy most of the components but it should be more or less like this:

Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS strix b450 (after bios update)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (i need more ram because i use some engineering software )
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (I ll keep it because i mainly play FPS like battelfield and COD (Modern warefare ones), and cities skylines type of games, in 1080 60Hz )
SAMSUNG 250GB (already have)
1 or 2 TB intel 660p M.2 Nvme
to cool cpu i ll start with stock cooler and move to C14s if needed (I plan to overclock it a bit but not to squeeze each MHz out of it).

So i m here to ask u guys:
what do u think about this build/any suggestion?
Do I have to go with C14s straight away or not?
I d like to use those new thermal pads like the thermal grizzly carbonaut... are they worth it? are they needed in M1?
Lastly PSU... i was looking at corsair SF600 platinum , but SF750 platinum is only 20 euro more... what would u chose? i may upgrade to a used 1080ti in future (i know that i could still use the 600 ).
What about the EVGA super nova 650 w sfx?

I want to tank all the people who partecitated in this forum because I learned so much reading all the previous post about the Ncsae M1, and i want to tank in advise all of those who will answer my questions!
As mentioned Above, look up the dimensions of your gpu. The 1070 model may be smaller. You can sell your more expensive x model for a lesser and smaller one or maybe a gtx 1080.
For the psu: 500 is plenty for a mid range set up. 600 is therefore enough and you can spend the 20 bucks on a cpu cooler. But if you dont mind the 20 extra, extra headroom is always nice and psu's are more efficient when using below 60-70% on load.
The ryzen 5 3600 comes with a sufficient but very bad cooler and very loud. Ryzen 3000 overclocks badly but for loudness the c14s is the best. The u9s is also great up till the ryzen 7 3700x. If you are using engineering software, do you need more cores than 6? Otherwise the 3600 is just fine.
Thermal pads conduct electricity and are bad with a cooler without much pressure on it, like the stock amd coolers. If you want to be safe not to fry your chips and don't want a aftermarketcooler right away, get the artic mx 4 paste. You can also use it to repaste your gpu and is cheaper so win-win-win if you ask me.
Lastly, why keep the 250gb Samsung drive when you also going for 1tb nvme (don't go for 2, way to expensive). Besides, the intel gets a lot slower after filling up 80% of the capacity. You also don't need nvme. If you go nvme, go for crucial p1 or Kingston (don't know you the name). The adata sx8200 pro is higher tier but goes toe to toe with the high-end drives. You can also get the very stable 1tb m.2 crucial mx500. It has very good performance if you dont move 4k video files. Your mobo supports 2 m.2 slots (nvme on the back and m.2 on the front, or 2 nvme but cuts the pcie lanes in half to 8x).

RamboITX

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
Hey buddy,
nice to have you on board of the hype train. I got one bummer for you. Your gpu will not fit the case. It is too wide. I know that because I am having the same modell and I just switched to make it fit. The gaming x series uses an extra wide custom pcb that exeeds the dimensions of the NCase.

This i didn't expect... the card is 14cm x 28 cm... I thought it would fit in the case. I cant find a compatibility list but the one with the more recent 20 seire cards. Do anyone know if is there a compatibility list with older cards? i m intereste also to know the compatible 1080TIs in case i have to swap.

As mentioned Above, look up the dimensions of your gpu. The 1070 model may be smaller. You can sell your more expensive x model for a lesser and smaller one or maybe a gtx 1080.
For the psu: 500 is plenty for a mid range set up. 600 is therefore enough and you can spend the 20 bucks on a cpu cooler. But if you dont mind the 20 extra, extra headroom is always nice and psu's are more efficient when using below 60-70% on load.
The ryzen 5 3600 comes with a sufficient but very bad cooler and very loud. Ryzen 3000 overclocks badly but for loudness the c14s is the best. The u9s is also great up till the ryzen 7 3700x. If you are using engineering software, do you need more cores than 6? Otherwise the 3600 is just fine.
Thermal pads conduct electricity and are bad with a cooler without much pressure on it, like the stock amd coolers. If you want to be safe not to fry your chips and don't want a aftermarketcooler right away, get the artic mx 4 paste. You can also use it to repaste your gpu and is cheaper so win-win-win if you ask me.
Lastly, why keep the 250gb Samsung drive when you also going for 1tb nvme (don't go for 2, way to expensive). Besides, the intel gets a lot slower after filling up 80% of the capacity. You also don't need nvme. If you go nvme, go for crucial p1 or Kingston (don't know you the name). The adata sx8200 pro is higher tier but goes toe to toe with the high-end drives. You can also get the very stable 1tb m.2 crucial mx500. It has very good performance if you dont move 4k video files. Your mobo supports 2 m.2 slots (nvme on the back and m.2 on the front, or 2 nvme but cuts the pcie lanes in half to 8x).

no i wont need more cores.... 6 is enough. Unfortunately some finite element software don t take advantage of the multicore, probably because of some processes are single thread anyway... I needed more ram also because i use at same time different programs like Revit, autocad, matlab, a FEM software and i browse the internet. Moreover i used to disable pageing file (i noticed an in crease in responsiveness don't u?). And also for future proof.

I keep 250gb Samsung because i have it and there space in the case between front Panel and the frame.

i didn t know that the intel ssd becomes slower when u fill it. I knew that there s not so much difference between nvme and sata unless u re mooving big 4k files all day long. The important parameter is random writing and reading speed. But since i have to buy 1 TB anyway (i m sick of 256gb, i can t keep installed more than 2 games and my other software because it s full) i was aiming to some mid range nvme (which cost more or less the same of a sata m.2 or a regular ssd) so i can get good amout of storage, good sequentiual speed (1800) and good random speed (and this is why i choose intel). But now i m gonna check those other brands... Do u know something about SABRENT SSD nvme m.2 1tb?? it has the best price in amazon after intel and it seems to be incredibly good in specs.

And lastly, yeah i read about that, using 2 nvme i would cut the pcie lanes in half, but honestly i didn t undertand that. Does it refer to the 16x pcie slot? so if i use 2 nvme i would have only 8x lanes in the 16x slot? (if this is the case it wouldn't be a problem right? because untill now only the 2080 ti gets close to fill up the 8x lanes bandwith) . Or did i miss understood?. Please correct me if i said somthing wrong!! Thanks guys so much for the help!