NCASE M1 architect's build check?

thumbtack

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Hey All,

I'm building my first computer since the late 90's, replacing a dying mid-2009 macbook pro, and I've somehow stumbled on the world of SFF/mini-ITX and the NCASE M1. I only watched a couple youtube videos and started throwing components together on PCpartpicker and fired from the hip over the holiday weekend, before checking here.

While I wait for the case to arrive, any advice if these will all fit/thermally work together, best fan location/orientation, and if I forgot any components for the build? I'm an architect/graphic designer, so this would be used for Adobe Suite, CAD & 3D rendering, and finally editing 4k footage that I couldn't even watch before. No plans or knowledge on how to overclock at this time. Thanks!

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler (+ 2nd NF-A9 fan recommended?)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial - P1 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage 2: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120mm Fan x2
Custom: NCASE M1 V5 No ODD Silver

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That looks a really good powerful little workstation.
I bought a used NCase M1 a few weeks ago, and was worried about my build (re using my old Haswell Z97/i5 4670K / GTX970 setup), and other than some awkward 'origami' with the Corsair SF 600 ribbon cables, it all went in really well.
I bought a Noctua U9S with a second 92mm fan, which I have mounted on the case as a rear Exhaust, and I have a single Noctua 120mm fan in the front side mount as an intake.
I was advised that a second fan in the bottom mount won't make much difference, but it's worth experimenting.
Overall it's pretty quiet (my first 120mm intake fan was a Corsair ML, which was still too loud with the limited PWM speed control offered by my board), and so easy to pick up and take to LAN night - I'm off there tonight!
Welcome to the 'Coffee & Cream' masterrace! :cool: