• Discord! Come chat with us in our Discord server, open to all forum members, but now we've opened it up to all. Join our discussions by clicking the "Discord" button on the side menu!!

NCASE M1 architect's build check?

thumbtack

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Hey All,

I'm building my first computer since the late 90's, replacing a dying mid-2009 macbook pro, and I've somehow stumbled on the world of SFF/mini-ITX and the NCASE M1. I only watched a couple youtube videos and started throwing components together on PCpartpicker and fired from the hip over the holiday weekend, before checking here.

While I wait for the case to arrive, any advice if these will all fit/thermally work together, best fan location/orientation, and if I forgot any components for the build? I'm an architect/graphic designer, so this would be used for Adobe Suite, CAD & 3D rendering, and finally editing 4k footage that I couldn't even watch before. No plans or knowledge on how to overclock at this time. Thanks!

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler (+ 2nd NF-A9 fan recommended?)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial - P1 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage 2: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120mm Fan x2
Custom: NCASE M1 V5 No ODD Silver

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That looks a really good powerful little workstation.
I bought a used NCase M1 a few weeks ago, and was worried about my build (re using my old Haswell Z97/i5 4670K / GTX970 setup), and other than some awkward 'origami' with the Corsair SF 600 ribbon cables, it all went in really well.
I bought a Noctua U9S with a second 92mm fan, which I have mounted on the case as a rear Exhaust, and I have a single Noctua 120mm fan in the front side mount as an intake.
I was advised that a second fan in the bottom mount won't make much difference, but it's worth experimenting.
Overall it's pretty quiet (my first 120mm intake fan was a Corsair ML, which was still too loud with the limited PWM speed control offered by my board), and so easy to pick up and take to LAN night - I'm off there tonight!
Welcome to the 'Coffee & Cream' masterrace! :cool: