Enclosure First Look at SFF, Fanless CL100

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Hey everybody, you were all so welcoming a few weeks back following Jay's review of our MC600 case that I wanted to drop in and share the news of our newest SFF system and get your feedback. We're going to be debuting the CL100 at Digital Signage Expo (a big show for industrial, small form factor companies like ours) and just announced the system today (you can read the news release here).

We wanted to build something that would meet the needs of industrial PC (IPC) users, but wasn't the standard black box that you see so much of in this space. The CL100 is built on the Intel NUC platform (as you might have guessed) and features support for triple independent displays and 4k resolution. The industrial audience tends to have a different range of needs than the consumer space (hence the lower power processor), but we'd love to hear what you think, and I'm happy to answer any questions. More information and specs here.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Interesting little unit. Amazing how little heatsinking we need for moderately powerful systems nowadays!

Reactions: DarekLogic

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Interesting little unit. Amazing how little heatsinking we need for moderately powerful systems nowadays!

It's an atom based system, so TDP of 6W and a SDP of 4W. Still a nice low power unit for digital signage, but moderatly powerful it isn't, at least in my opinion. I start talking moderately powerfull if we are talking Core i3 or Core M without throttling.

Cinebench score is 115 and that is multi threaded not single.

This is an industrial unit after all and it looks like it'll be a nice quiet little

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
By moderately powerful I'm referring to it not being a 1ghz VIA x86 based system like a large amount of the Digital Signage boxes are :p

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Hey everybody, you were all so welcoming a few weeks back following Jay's review of our MC600 case that I wanted to drop in and share the news of our newest SFF system and get your feedback. We're going to be debuting the CL100 at Digital Signage Expo (a big show for industrial, small form factor companies like ours) and just announced the system today (you can read the news release here).

We wanted to build something that would meet the needs of industrial PC (IPC) users, but wasn't the standard black box that you see so much of in this space. The CL100 is built on the Intel NUC platform (as you might have guessed) and features support for triple independent displays and 4k resolution. The industrial audience tends to have a different range of needs than the consumer space (hence the lower power processor), but we'd love to hear what you think, and I'm happy to answer any questions. More information and specs here.

Welcome again ! Very nice little unit. If one day I can have a basement where I can have my own laboratory workshop, I'd definitely need a dust proof passive unit like this one.

By moderately powerful I'm referring to it not being a 1ghz VIA x86 based system like a large amount of the Digital Signage boxes are :p

Why you no luv VIA x86 ? They aren't that crappy .... well, can't even convince myself XD.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I take it the type-C port just comes standard on the NUC board? Seems very out of place on an industrial system.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
VIA were not all that great for applications requiring a lot of general purpose processing power. They were great for their encryption hardware.

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Thanks for the kind words. For a lower power system like this the low profile channels are sufficient. For processors that run a bit hotter we use our ML100 enclosure:

I take it the type-C port just comes standard on the NUC board? Seems very out of place on an industrial system.
That's correct. USB Type-C isn't something that the IPC market has embraced just yet, but we are starting to hear requests for it here and there.
This is an industrial unit after all and it looks like it'll be a nice quiet little
Quiet is definitely something we strive for with our fanless systems. We work with a lot of broadcasters and radio stations who need completely silent hardware. The ability to have a fully solid state system that they can mount anywhere is very appealing for that market.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback!

Reactions: niksus