Log Finally found a case/SKTC A09 3.8L for my Mini-ITX APU-Builds/no graphics card!

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
All Done, works like a charm. Gigabyte gave me a new serial number/new motherboard.

Maybe I did something stupid to smash the cpu-socket pins? I recall back when I had to keep doing steps over and over and switching CPUs was one of those steps. While waiting for the replacement CPU, I wanted to put the CPU socket cover back on the mobo, and I recall not being clear about how to get that cover back on. So I searched the internet and the advice was that it just snaps on??? Snaps on to what? I dunno. Could be that I smashed the pins at that point?? I dunno. 😡

The square CPU clamp is installed. The Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 Edition cooler is installed and it fills up the case except for maybe 1mm leftover space. I think that I will be happy with the Core i5-12500 6/12 cores/threads 65 W TDP, instead of the beefier Core i5 12600K 10 core CPU 125 W TDP. I don't need that much power.

It's the black computer on your right in this picture. Thank you all very much for the help with this!!

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
On second thought, I sent the CPU back after it wouldn't post. So I don't know how/when the pins were bent.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice to see the build is up and running, that was quite a tricky journey!

Case looks great, seems to be a bigger brother of the (Goodisory brand?) B01 (3l) I'm familiar with.
Panels are obviously better thought for cooling on this A09!

The grinding of the front PCB seems a bit drastic, audio ports could have stayed from what I see, but now you have a clean cable management I guess!

Reactions: PVC

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Okay, I think I know what caused the CPU Socket pin damage to my GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA LITE DDR4 motherboard.
Maybe it was the previous owner!!

This model motherboard had problems with Pcie5
See this link; PCIe 4 Errors Prompt Gigabyte Z690I Motherboard Exchange, Refund Program

Correct me if I am wrong but what happened to all the returned motherboards? Did they get thrown in the e-waste bin? Or, did they get resold as New/"LITE" versions (GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS Ultra LITE). I think maybe they got resold as New/"LITE" versions.

Now, back to the CPU Socket pin damage. Through the GIGABYTE RMA process, they sent me a new GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS Ultra PLUS DDR4 to replace the LITE version. I did inspect the CPU socket pins when I first got the ULTRA LITE mobo, and also when I got the ULTRA PLUS mobo. My eyesight isn't the greatest but I saw blemishes on the LITE while the PLUS pins looked like a perfectly smooth wheat field. Being new to LGA1700, I dismissed the non-smooth looks of the LITE CPU socket.

Furthermore, when inserting the CPU into the PLUS with pin-1 alignment it feels cradled by the socket. I can wiggle the CPU from side-to-side and it fits snugly with very little play/looseness. Well the first LITE mobo didn't have that tightness. It had extra movement. Again, I dismissed this warning too.

To summarize, the GIGABYTE RMA process (cost me $100) but they sent me a new GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS Ultra PLUS DDR4 so even with the $100 extra cost I still have good value for what I paid. Though I went through much trouble/pain/anguish during this build.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Here's some more Pics;

I don't custom-cut-my-power-supply-cables to the correct length so the 24-pin cable had to go in the high-part of the case right up against the front PCB. The only other route would be in the lower-part of the case. But this is where the memory sticks are located and there is not enough room for both. Oh, I never/ever use front audio ports, so no big audio loss for me.

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
btw: I fixed that bent CPU Cooler fin in the last picture. 😉

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
Love this case. Nice & simple and it has everything, front IO and CPU cooler space. Would the new HDplex gan PSU fit in this?

Next year should be a great year for APU builds.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@PVC great build! can share how much clearance is there between the L12GE and the side panel? I'm considering the case if it can accommodate the Big Shuriken 3 cooler. Per the SFF PC Master List, there's only 63mm which is obviously incorrect when you can fit the L12GE (66mm) in.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
After the Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 Edition (Height w/fan H=66mm) is mounted, there is no extra room at all, None, Nada, Zip!

thanks man! meaning I'm stuck with 65-66mm class cooler or I need to get the A09P that is supposedly slightly wider

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
thanks man! meaning I'm stuck with 65-66mm class cooler or I need to get the A09P that is supposedly slightly wider
or just fab your own side panel / modify an existing one :)
Although I dont see any other coolers that are less 110 mm and like .. better than eg. Shuriken 3 or NH-L12 (except if you somehow get a 120 / 140 mm radiator crammed inside; dont laugh - after seeing the Custom loop in Velka 5 video by Relaxing SFF, I'm convinced even something like this might be doable).

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: thelaughingman

akbarnotopb

Case Bender
New User
Aug 25, 2021
Here's some more Pics;

I don't custom-cut-my-power-supply-cables to the correct length so the 24-pin cable had to go in the high-part of the case right up against the front PCB. The only other route would be in the lower-part of the case. But this is where the memory sticks are located and there is not enough room for both. Oh, I never/ever use front audio ports, so no big audio loss for me.

i notice there is a small gap on top of your cooler, is it possible to put extra 40mm fans such as noctua a4x10 (40x10mm) or a4x20 ( 40x20)mm

akbarnotopb

Case Bender
New User
Aug 25, 2021
Here's some more Pics;

i notice there is a small gap on top of your cooler, is it possible to put extra 40mm fans such as noctua a4x10 (40x10mm) or a4x20 ( 40x20)mm.

my previous mini itx build in k39, such small fan can make 5-10 degree differences. wonder if it would be same in thi case

vinnyoflegend

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2022
If the caseend.com data is correct the A09p is wider but only in the front->back dimension (+19mm) so it wouldn't help with a taller cooler as it's still only 89mm total thickness. I've got an A09 built for my wife and have an A09p on order coming next month. I think the main advantage will be more room to install the motherboard and less interference from the front header board/connectors. The A09 was cramped with the header/cables even though I used a Zalman CNPS8900 (60mm height).

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
i notice there is a small gap on top of your cooler, is it possible to put extra 40mm fans such as noctua a4x10 (40x10mm) or a4x20 ( 40x20)mm.

my previous mini itx build in k39, such small fan can make 5-10 degree differences. wonder if it would be same in thi case
That would be problematic! The space we are talking about is on the top of the case where the power button is located and where the cooler tubes bend towards the CPU heatsink. Yes, there is approximately 12mm clearance between the tubes and the top of the case. However, it's the fan width of 40mm that is the problem.

I tried to slide a 10mm thick item in that space and 10mm does fit. But it can only slide as much as 46mm into the case before touching some motherboard cooling fins, namely (Fins-Array II technology, 3rd gen heatpipe thermal design). See circled fins in the image below.

Thus, your 40mm fan would be partially blocked by the solid part of the case-top without airholes. In other words you cannot center a 40mm fan in the case because it is blocked by these fins.

Last edited:

jjh98

Case Bender
New User
Jan 10, 2023
Hi PVC,

I am thinking about using your setup to prepare a 7900x3d small factor mini PC :) Hopefully, it should go well!

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Hi jjh98; My build was an APU-build (no graphics card); so I used the graphics that are built-into the CPU. Thus, my 65W CPU is easy to cool. Your CPU may not be that easy to cool and if it's an APU build then I'm not sure why you would need a beasty CPU?

Also, I'm not sure if the (used/server power supply) has enough power for a 120W CPU, and that same power supply has a beefy fan that can really (howl, get loud) when pushed. Mine is low load and never gets pushed. The power supply fan starts up with a howl but then settles down to silent.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
HWiNFO at idle - no PSU fan noise at all;

After Prime95 for 10 or 15 seconds (slight fan noise);

After Prime95 for a minute or so (slightly higher fan noise, But not loud/howling);

And then I killed Prime95.