Advice TRYNA build Ryzen 7 4750G PRO APU - mini-ITX - No Gaming /No OC

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
AMD 4000 Renoir (when they are released) with PCIe 4.0/Gen4 M2 NVMe storage.

List of Components:
  • Motherboard B550-ITX or X570-ITX
  • PSU = HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX modding the (HDPLEX 200W AC-DC) inside the case
  • Ryzen 7 4750G PRO (New AMD 4000 Renoir) 8c/16t (3.6-4.4 GHz) 12MBcache Vega-8cores-512SPs-2100 MHz DefTDP-65W
  • CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.Black + additional case fans
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) CL16 288-pins
  • Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe Gen4 M.2 PCIe 4.0 (Not sure yet if Gen4 is supported on an APU build???)
  • Case? small Brickless mini-ITX with room for case fans and room for enclosing an (HDPLEX 200W AC-DC) in place of GPU

Last edited:
Reactions: ikara

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I found an already done (Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G APU - mini-ITX build) using the Silverstone ML10B / Milo 10 case. The Milo case is modular with many different setup options. Scroll down near the bottom of the link below to watch a Milo 10 video; https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=923&

That build has an interesting stacked-two-intake fan setup and I would like to know if youse guys have any thoughts about stacking two intake fans together like that?

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
So I went off and read some reviews about fan stacking. The reviews were about stacking CPU cooler fans together and the testing showed there was minimal difference/improvement with stacking. Though, this specific instance is about stacking a case fan atop a CPU cooler fan both blowing into the motherboard so it's not exactly the same comparison?

My thoughts are that the results of stacking CPU and case fans (Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 and CRYORIG XT140 65 CFM 140 mm Fan) is likely to be similar/minimal effect on cooling. So, unless someone has a different result/opinion I think I would go with omitting the extra intake case fan.

Meanwhile I have become more pessimistic about accomplishing a tiny brickless APU build given the current supply-chain situation, (sold out, production on hold, etc). But I have not given up! Perhaps things will change at a later time.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
If you can score the G-alantic case in my Sig rig off aliexpress the stock 180 flex was pretty quiet though I replaced with150w FSP fanless flex, almost silen brickless APU build.

Reactions: PVC

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks @steveo_ for that reference!! I will study the G-Atlantic case for a while.

I think that I will be getting into some limited custom cable modding. Not for making it pretty with sleeving and combs and such. But for making cables the correct length to avoid cable clutter and for discarding the legacy (Sata and Molex). Usually the Sata/Molex are just spliced unto some of the main ATXPWR 24-pin cables at the 24-pin connector itself. So it should be easy to re-pin the ATXPWR 24-pin connector without adding the extra spliced Sata/Molex cables.

Well,, maybe easy if/when I become experienced at cable modding ?

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I finally got around to learning how to monitor temperature using CPUID HWMonitor and stress testing using Prime95. My recent build (Ryzen5 3400G/Chopin 4c/8t) runs nice and cool (Temperature/PackageNode0 = 35c idle and not much over 50c) with my limited workload. However, when Prime95-stressed it heated up to 85c after 10 minutes or so, so I shutdown the stress test.

Since I will never use this for Gaming/OC'ing, I think I have the correct cooling for my workload. But this build will have more cores/threads so I may need additional cooling.

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Whew! Deciphering not-yet-released AMD technology is tougher than I imagined. The following paragraph from Tom's Hardware - Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G Review says that (PCIe 4.0/Gen4) will not be supported for APU builds.

The Renoir desktop APUs support a PCIe 3.0 x16 connection to the PEG slot, a x4 connection to the chipset, and a x4 connection to a storage device (M.2). Unlike the standard Zen 2 desktop models that support the PCIe 4.0 interface, AMD says it stuck with PCIe 3.0 for desktop APUs because it had already baked the interface into the mobile chips to meet the lower power thresholds in notebooks. In contrast, the mobile chips only support eight lanes of PCIe 3.0 for a graphics card, which helps save on power consumption.

Since PCIe 4.0 Gen4 was one of my main goals with this APU Build/(no discrete Graphics card) I am scrapping this future APU build!! Apologies for suggesting an unworkable APU Build using PCIe 4.0/Gen 4 storage.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Yep, the 970 EVO plus is what I will use in my next planned APU build. Also I have switched from Ryzen 7 4750G PRO (8-core, 16-Thread) to the smaller Ryzen 5 4650G PRO (6-core, 12-Thread) because my last, even smaller Inwin Chopin APU build with Ryzen 5 3400g (4-core, 8 Thread) seems to have abundant power for my Raw Therapee photo processing needs. So if 4-cores can handle my workload with ease then I am thinking that 8-cores might be overkill for my photo-processing/browsing (no gaming) workload.

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
I really liked your K39 build. I don't want to use vlp rams and overclock them since this is my first build ever and I don't want to mess with the overclock things. That's why I'll stick to Gskill 32Gb 3600MHz CL16 or Curicial Ballistix Max 32Gb 3600Mhz CL16. This restricts me to use either IS-47K or Noctua L9a. People suggest IS-47K with Noctua AM4 L9AL9I Mounting Kit and this idea seems good to me. I might also swap the fan with Noctua NF-A9x14 for further improvement for cooling. Also buying Noctua L9a and replacing fan with 120mm fan with an adapter is another idea. But I'm not sure about the ram heights. What do you think?

Also, I want to buy 2tb NVME drive. Is it a good idea to buy two 1tb modules and run them in RAID 0 configuration for raw speed or should I buy only one 2tb module and go with it. The cost won't differ so much between these two configurations.

Edit: I also read some reviews about Thermaltake axp-90 that says it's superior to both Noctua L9a and is-47k. Again using noctua back plate and and fan with axp-90 would be beneficial. What do you think?

Last edited:

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah, I guess I'm going to try Thermalright Axp-90. It seems more reliable compared to IS-47k and Noctua L9a. I read many times that Blackridge with 120mm noctua fan set to intake is better than from those three coolers. But, it comes with the restrictions of board layout and ram compatibility. I see that you've already purchased and had the vlp rams which makes you ready for your build. I also believe that your clearance won't be a problem once you've your cpu, it'll definitely add some height and clear the path.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Also, I want to buy 2tb NVME drive. Is it a good idea to buy two 1tb modules and run them in RAID 0 configuration for raw speed or should I buy only one 2tb module and go with it. The cost won't differ so much between these two configurations.
Take a look at this thread (and the links within). imo> PCIe Gen4 is not quite ready for prime time. There are many issues including thermal throttling, etc. Maybe think about what you are trying to achieve by using multiple speedy NVMe/M2 drives, faster boot, faster App load? In my case it was speedy image backup and restore. But after a deeper look into all the PCIe Gen4 issues, I ended up discarding my PCIe Gen4 build.

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
Take a look at this thread (and the links within). imo> PCIe Gen4 is not quite ready for prime time. There are many issues including thermal throttling, etc. Maybe think about what you are trying to achieve by using multiple speedy NVMe/M2 drives, faster boot, faster App load? In my case it was speedy image backup and restore. But after a deeper look into all the PCIe Gen4 issues, I ended up discarding my PCIe Gen4 build.

Yeah, I read it now. I want to have a fast, reliable storage that will last for years. I looked for Adata s8200 (which downgraded their chip), wd sn750, corsair mp510, and samsung evo plus 970. And, I've concluded that samsung is the best for the end user for years usage since I still use my 840 pro ssd for years without a problem.