Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Dagobah Edition = water cooled; moss; with plenty of swamp gas (Fx smoke)

Hoth Edition = Cooler Master V10 sticking out the side of the case!

Tatooine Edition = overclocked i7; overclocked GPU; stock cpu cooler; low rpm fans; and a bunch of sand pouring out!

Branch_bryce

Cable Smoosher
Jan 17, 2017
Quick question, in the video that Hardware Canucks did, what was the bag used to seat the Sentry in, or do y'all have any recommendations for bags to use when transporting it to lan parties. Preferably something big enough to hold the sentry, a small keyboard, mouse, couple cables, and the sentry stand?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Quick question, in the video that Hardware Canucks did, what was the bag used to seat the Sentry in, or do y'all have any recommendations for bags to use when transporting it to lan parties. Preferably something big enough to hold the sentry, a small keyboard, mouse, couple cables, and the sentry stand?

Sorry mate for late response, but i see my bro answered you in the comments on the campaign page.
Despite this i will post some info about those bags, which we used. We did not search for some special bag. We were just checking internal dimensions. Below i'm giving you a links to the exact sales where we bought them (it is something like Polish e-bay):

Backpack ~$7.5 USD: link
Bag no1 ~$10.5 USD: link
Bag no2 ~$10.5 USD: link
Bag no3 ~$6.5 USD: link

As we said, this was also our goal to fit Sentry in many 17'' laptop bags. We did not have problems with getting such in Poland, so i think it won't be a problem for you to get similar bags in other countries. Just every time ask for internal dimensions. Oh, and like you can see, those bags don't have to be so expensive like other travel bags for other pc-cases.

Reactions: EdZ and Soul_Est

Trev

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2017
Hey guys, just curious what the verdict was regarding 91W CPU's, doable with the right cooler? Have done a bit of searching and didn't really find a definitive answer. Very temped by the white Sentry, awesome design.

Reactions: Rusty McFot

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Hey guys, just curious what the verdict was regarding 91W CPU's, doable with the right cooler? Have done a bit of searching and didn't really find a definitive answer. Very temped by the white Sentry, awesome design.

Sentry was designed for 65W CPUs and 150W GPUs. If you want to put something which needs more power, you can do that. Just remember to use good cooling solution. For example Linus did use 145W CPU and he did quite OK with it. Everything depends what "OK" means for you.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Sounds like Cryorig C7 or thermaltake's new Engine 37 could do the trick.
With Cryorig C7 you have to be sure your motherboard has capacitors from CPU power section installed far away from the CPU socket. There is a big risk, that radiator will lay on the top of those capacitors instead of the top of CPU.

Branch_bryce

Cable Smoosher
Jan 17, 2017
With Cryorig C7 you have to be sure your motherboard has capacitors from CPU power section installed far away from the CPU socket. There is a big risk, that radiator will lay on the top of those capacitors instead of the top of CPU.
what do you mean by this? can you give a specific example. I have the Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
what do you mean by this? can you give a specific example. I have the Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5

I have this motherboard and it has capacitors in both directions next to the CPU socket.
B150N Phoenix wifi: link

We are not so sure that You can get a lot of motherboards not having this possible issue:

The area marked by red tint touches the motherboard in this orientation and When mounting you simply cannot be sure whether the screws are properly tightened or not in this orientation.

What is more, Skylake is a lower CPU than for example Haswell or previous 115x CPUs. This is why we strongly recommend to check what kind of motherboard you have before ordering a Cryorig C7.

Branch_bryce

Cable Smoosher
Jan 17, 2017
I have this motherboard and it has capacitors in both directions next to the CPU socket.
B150N Phoenix wifi: link

We are not so sure that You can get a lot of motherboards not having this possible issue:

The area marked by red tint touches the motherboard in this orientation and When mounting you simply cannot be sure whether the screws are properly tightened or not in this orientation.

What is more, Skylake is a lower CPU than for example Haswell or previous 115x CPUs. This is why we strongly recommend to check what kind of motherboard you have before ordering a Cryorig C7.
Thanks! So what cooler have y'all had the best results with? My motherboard has the CPU capacitor things on all sides, but i have been using the cryorig in my current build and it seems to keep my temps fine. I can always splurge on another cooler, any suggestions?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks! So what cooler have y'all had the best results with? My motherboard has the CPU capacitor things on all sides, but i have been using the cryorig in my current build and it seems to keep my temps fine. I can always splurge on another cooler, any suggestions?
Next week we will get 3 coolers for benchmarks. Then we will make a comparison of 95W BOX cooler, Cryorig C7, Zalman CNPS2X, Scythe Kozuti i Noctua LH-N9i. We will be using i7-6700 Non-K for our benchmarks.
We wanted to make those tests this weekend, but according to the seller, we are still waiting for the thermal paste... which has to be transported by camels, because it takes so long....

Branch_bryce

Cable Smoosher
Jan 17, 2017
Next week we will get 3 coolers for benchmarks. Then we will make a comparison of 95W BOX cooler, Cryorig C7, Zalman CNPS2X, Scythe Kozuti i Noctua LH-N9i. We will be using i7-6700 Non-K for our benchmarks.
We wanted to make those tests this weekend, but according to the seller, we are still waiting for the thermal paste... which has to be transported by camels, because it takes so long....
Awesome! Were do you guys plan on posting the results?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Several days ago we received an email asking which company did we choose to make an intro for our Sentry campaign. The answer is: none :) It took us so long to make it, mostly because we had to learn how to do it right by ourselves. If someone is curious how the movie set looked like, here is a photo of it:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well done, by doing it yourself, you've acquired a new skill that will save time and money the next time too !

Reactions: ZombiPL

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Well done, by doing it yourself, you've acquired a new skill that will save time and money the next time too !
We'll see... we're guys who always want to do better and better, and in this situation it won't save a lot money. Next time maybe we will need better lens, powered sliders, powered focus, some gimbals, maybe even better camera, etc., etc. At this point we are glad we made such video for the 1/6 - 1/12 of the cost, compared to the offers we received from photo/movie-product industry. But as you said, the skill stays, and we just have to improve it.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Oh, i forgot one thing. As you all know, this weekend we will be making new benchmarks, to test some CPu coolers in Sentry. First information will be posted on our Tweeter account, so if someone is interested, here is the link @ZaberSentry.

Reactions: Phuncz

marsavela

Case Bender
Feb 1, 2017
We'll see... we're guys who always want to do better and better, and in this situation it won't save a lot money. Next time maybe we will need better lens, powered sliders, powered focus, some gimbals, maybe even better camera, etc., etc. At this point we are glad we made such video for the 1/6 - 1/12 of the cost, compared to the offers we received from photo/movie-product industry. But as you said, the skill stays, and we just have to improve it.

"Next time..."

I like you guys with motivation. Please don't scratch mine. :p

Keep up the good work and see you around.

Reactions: ZombiPL

xKaydo

What's an ITX?
Jan 5, 2017
I'm really interested in using the Sentry case but the only graphics card I have on hand is an Asus ROG 1070 Strix. It's listed that it isn't compatible but has anyone actually tried it?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm really interested in using the Sentry case but the only graphics card I have on hand is an Asus ROG 1070 Strix. It's listed that it isn't compatible but has anyone actually tried it?

The case isn't out yet, so nobody could try it except for the makers, but I can assure you the strix is at least 10mm too wide for this case. It will not fit. You can try trading it in for a reference model here on the forums or selling it on ebay to get a card that fits.

Reactions: Phuncz