Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

Branch_bryce

Cable Smoosher
Jan 17, 2017
Quick question, in your tweet, you had some sort of RBG in the case. How did you do this? I would love to have some RGB ready for my Sentry when it comes.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Quick question, in your tweet, you had some sort of RBG in the case. How did you do this? I would love to have some RGB ready for my Sentry when it comes.

Sorry mate for late response.

Answering your question:

We are not big fans of LEDs in pc cases, but many people are, and they asked us to check if something like that is possible.

For our test, we designed and assembled easy and cheap (~$7 USD) DIY RGB set which can be connected without soldering. In those pictures you can see all the parts needed to make the whole set. As our power source, we used 3,5'' HDD power supply (molex connector).

View of the whole set:

The controller looks like this:

Price list:
RGB LED-Stripes: $0,75 x 2pcs ($3 per 1 meter) (they have a 3M tape on the back, but we suggest using industrial glue or magnetic stripes)
RGB LED controller (with power-off memory of selected mode): $1,7 x 1 pcs
LED Stripes extender: $0,6 x 2 pcs
LED power cable splitter: $1,7 x 1 pcs
LED 4-pin connector: $0,25 x 3 pcs
MOLEX plug: $0,25 x 1 pcs

Final cost: $7,1 + transport

Final effect:

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
If someone swapped out an SFX PSU for an HDPLEX 300, would there be room for a 3.5" HDD (or two if stacked on top)?

Don't know if you've messed with that at all or not

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
If someone swapped out an SFX PSU for an HDPLEX 300, would there be room for a 3.5" HDD (or two if stacked on top)?

Don't know if you've messed with that at all or not

First of all you have to understand how small is Sentry. I mean... really. You can feel it by looking at images shown below.
Different PSU version won't change the situation. There is a middle "wall" in Sentry which won't allow such experiments.
We dropped the idea of fully supporting 3,5'' HDDs, but we left some possibilities, which can be used (if someone really, really, really must :) ).

I will re-write what my brother posted in [H]ard forum:

1) 3.5" hard drives are still supported by quad 2.5" drive bracket like this:

2) 3.5" hard drive mount was removed from the GPU compartment because:
- additional mounting points were breaking the looks of the inlet.
- with support for mobility the 3.5" hard drives are something we should not recommend. The are heavy and may not have shock handling like the 2.5" hard drives have.

3) It is still possible to mount two 3.5" hard drives ATTACHED WITH ONLY TWO M3.5 PC SCREWS with drives slightly angled:

As you can see, you can still fit TWO 3.5" HDDs with up to 6 2.5" drives if you have another set of brackets. Note the fact that we're providing only one set by default, if you want more sets for NAS config we can give you the DXF blueprint for laser cutting.

Cables looks still quite manageable in such config. Without GPU you can also use the riser gap as some kind of an anchor for them.

Bottom of the case. Note the fact that there are only two M3.5 PC screws holding the bottom 3.5" HDD and they are not aligned perfectly making the drives angled slightly. Also note the fact that there are 3 sets of 2.5" mounts here - they are those a bit smaller holes in the vent.

4) WE DO NOT SUPPORT THIS CONFIGURATION FOR MOBILITY! USE ONLY WITH STATIONARY BUILDS!.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Thank you - I meant like this:

(not to scale)

But checking the dimensions it does not seem possible (by several millimeters) to mount an HDPlex flat. Perhaps if it was mounted horizontally against the case wall or the actual HDD.

I understand there are no mounting points, this would be a mod.

I know for sure that an HD Plex would fit on top of a HDD:

But that is questionable at best.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
But would it fit with everything plugged in? They are 25mm without plugs and probably closer to 40-50mm with.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
But would it fit with everything plugged in? They are 25mm without plugs and probably closer to 40-50mm with.
With the stiff rainbow cables on the new HDPlex I don't think you could get the top panel to close without crushing some stuff on the laying-on-top orientation. Maybe with custom wiring.

For the side orientation (mucking around with my HDPLEX and a 3.5" I think you could orient the HDPlex so all of the connectors are toward the case lid and route them over the HDD.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
The case is steel and the HDPLEX has a backplate, I'd probably try gluing/attaching some decent magnets to the back of the HDPlex and try mounting it that way.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Thank you - I meant like this:

(not to scale)

But checking the dimensions it does not seem possible (by several millimeters) to mount an HDPlex flat. Perhaps if it was mounted horizontally against the case wall or the actual HDD.

I understand there are no mounting points, this would be a mod.

I know for sure that an HD Plex would fit on top of a HDD:

But that is questionable at best.

You will have to design some kind special bracket which will hold HDD and PSU. To mount it, you could use SFX mouinting points and top SSD bracket holes. It's doable, but imo it will look weird:)
But +1 for creativity :)

Reactions: yawacool

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Be cool (no pun intended!) if you directly affix the HDPLEX 300W DC Board to the case via thermal padding somewhere instead of on the HDD. I don't think your harddrive would be very happy with you using it as a heatsink for the HDPLEX!

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Black and white are the only colors?

Yes, during the indiegogo campaign. After the campaign, there's a possibility that white colour won't be made at all (that is why there is no Long Run for white colour).

Reactions: Calvin

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Be cool (no pun intended!) if you directly affix the HDPLEX 300W DC Board to the case via thermal padding somewhere instead of on the HDD. I don't think your harddrive would be very happy with you using it as a heatsink for the HDPLEX!

Here is a mockup, similar case height. Need to figure out a way to secure the 3.5" but would be fine stationary. Thermal pads or magnets for the HDPlex. May need to use a longer power input cable for the HDPLEX.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Yes, during the indiegogo campaign. After the campaign, there's a possibility that white colour won't be made at all (that is why there is no Long Run for white colour).
I literally made an account on this forum just for this. Please don't ever do that!
It's like a dream for me to make a build in your case in the future and that will totally ruin it. i can never buy a full on black case.
Please consider this decision again because it will drive a lot of people away from buying the case (me included).

Consider this a plea from a good portion of the customer base. Hopefully you listen!

P.S. I would secure and buy a white one right now if I could but sadly I won't have cash for a few months ;(

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I literally made an account on this forum just for this. Please don't ever do that!
It's like a dream for me to make a build in your case in the future and that will totally ruin it. i can never buy a full on black case.
Please consider this decision again because it will drive a lot of people away from buying the case (me included).

Consider this a plea from a good portion of the customer base. Hopefully you listen!
You can still back the W + W option and sell one after its been delivered?

Reactions: ricochet

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
You can still back the W + W option and sell one after its been delivered?
I edited my post with a "P.S." Check that please. Also I would be tight on budget and I will barely be able to buy one and that's not even near future, sadly.

Last edited:

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

P.S. I would secure and buy a white one right now if I could but sadly I won't have cash for a few months ;(

We will check how our manufacturing capabilities will look like in terms of making Sentry units in white color. Right now white Sentry is more problematic in logistics and it needs more time be painted. We are using 2 separate paint shops to make black and white cases. Black was never a problem. White is a very tricky color, and it is not so easy to get the quality we demand. We have a company who will be painting our white Sentry cases, but we made an agreement only on this indiegogo campaign batch. This paintshop is a really busy place, and to get there with our order it took us a lot of time. Because of that, we do not really know if we will be making many more white cases. We will see how everything will look like after the shipment to the backers. We are not saying deffinatelly NO, but if we will be able to handle this color in the future.