Concept DIY Console-Sized case

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys
I'm thinking about making a case like sentry or others console-sized cases.
Which material should i use and where can i find it? Also how can i realize attachments for motherboard/psu screws?
Thanks in advance!

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
The professional way would be to hire someone like protocase.com to make it for you, if you already have a design ready.

Easy and cheap would be 3d printing most of the case. Metal will be a bit trickier. Mountainmods.com also has some parts you can use/modify to your needs.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi, thanks for your response
I think i'll go for some homemade pc case in steel or metal. Now the main problem is that i don't know how to realize attachments for motherboard, psu and other components can you help me with that?
Thanks in advance!

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
I'm not sure what you mean by attachments. The hole spacing for motherboard standoffs is part of the itx spec. So is the io cutout. This design guide is actually on protocases website but also easily googlable. Psu hole spacing is easily googlable as well as sfx is a standard.

If you meant how to physically realize the attachments you can tap a thread Into your panel for a standoff. Or press fit a threaded nut. Like a pem nut. Or press fit a blind standoff. Or heat set a threaded insert into a 3d print. There are plenty of options.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
I'm not sure what you mean by attachments. The hole spacing for motherboard standoffs is part of the itx spec. So is the io cutout. This design guide is actually on protocases website but also easily googlable. Psu hole spacing is easily googlable as well as sfx is a standard.

If you meant how to physically realize the attachments you can tap a thread Into your panel for a standoff. Or press fit a threaded nut. Like a pem nut. Or press fit a blind standoff. Or heat set a threaded insert into a 3d print. There are plenty of options.
Yeah the last one is what i mean.
Unfortunately i don't have a 3d printer

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If you don't have a 3D printer, the easiest and cheapest solution is to just drill holes where they should be (ATX norm is your friend) and then tap them to use good old motherboard standoffs.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
If you don't have a 3D printer, the easiest and cheapest solution is to just drill holes where they should be (ATX norm is your friend) and then tap them to use good old motherboard standoffs.

This. If you use plastic or a sufficiently thick metal.

If you use thin metal I would try with pem nuts or blind standoffs. Both can be pressed into aluminum with an arbor press.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys. Thanks for responses.
I think i will go with iron (at the moment i don't have other choices).
I will keep you update! ?