Concept IEGO - Console sized MDF PC Case

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys! I'm new here. I've always wanted a case like the S4 mini and the Dr. Zaber Sentry but they are almost always sold out and are too expensive with tax and shipping to my country. So I thought of making my own. I've built systems before but this will be my first attempt making my own case and have never tried wood working before.

So far here's what I've got:

Material: 6mm MDF Board
Dimensions: 340x268x75mm
Mobo: ITX
Storage: 2 2.5" drives
PSU: FLEX-ATX (82x40x150) or HDPlex/Pico
GPU: ~250mm length
Exterior design: was thinking of using carbon fiber vinyl stickers to hide the screws and use blue electroluminescent wire to spice things up.

What do you guys think?

PS
I've also got a few questions for anyone willing to answer:

> I'm not really sure how strong MDF boards are so I designed the case with 6mm in thickness. Does anyone know if I can use a thinner board for this?

> Will my single case fan be better as intake or exhaust?

> I might have problems with fatter graphics cards as they could possibly hit the AC plug while installing. Can anyone suggest a better but simple locking mechanism?

Last edited:

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Update on design:

I might have problems with fatter graphics cards as they could possibly hit the AC plug while installing. Can anyone suggest a better but simple locking mechanism?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
6mm thickness panels should be plenty strong, but you may get some flex along the width, supports it in the middle will help. You could use thinner sheet if you have enough supports, but I wouldnt go thinner than 5mm for main panels, you could drop smaller panels down to 3mm maybe.

Not sure about your fan orientation, can't see where its placed?

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
Ventilation holes. Lots of ventilation holes. Make sure of this. Also, Hdd and ssd?
Replace the psu with HDPlex or G-unique with ac-dc block?

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
UPDATE! (very image heavy. haha)

I've decided to flip everything so that the only case access panel with be at the bottom of the case (in horizontal position). I also added a big vent for the GPU.

(Back)

(Back with case hidden)

(Front)

(Front with case hidden)

(Top)

(Top with top panel hidden)

(Bottom)

(Bottom with case hidden)

6mm thickness panels should be plenty strong, but you may get some flex along the width, supports it in the middle will help. You could use thinner sheet if you have enough supports, but I wouldnt go thinner than 5mm for main panels, you could drop smaller panels down to 3mm maybe.

Not sure about your fan orientation, can't see where its placed?

Thanks for your answer! I'll probably stick to 6mm thickness all around then.
The fan will be right across the CPU right where the grills are. (see updated pics)

Ventilation holes. Lots of ventilation holes. Make sure of this. Also, Hdd and ssd?
Replace the psu with HDPlex or G-unique with ac-dc block?

The 2.5" Drives are will be mounted right below the GPU. (see updated pics)
The only ventilation I was planning was right over the GPU's exhaust fan and right over the motherboard. Do you think those will be enough?

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
UPDATE! (very image heavy. haha)

I've decided to flip everything so that the only case access panel with be at the bottom of the case (in horizontal position). I also added a big vent for the GPU.

(Back)

(Back with case hidden)

(Front)

(Front with case hidden)

(Top)

(Top with top panel hidden)

(Bottom)

(Bottom with case hidden)

Thanks for your answer! I'll probably stick to 6mm thickness all around then.
The fan will be right across the CPU right where the grills are. (see updated pics)

The 2.5" Drives are will be mounted right below the GPU. (see updated pics)
The only ventilation I was planning was right over the GPU's exhaust fan and right over the motherboard. Do you think those will be enough?
It should be well ventilated. The less holes the hotter it gets. Having holes perforated around the panel like s4 mini. Also, about the looks, can it be more simple? Apart from giving the case a type of look, it should also be easy to paint over. Just imagine it being painted like a classis NES or SNES.
Also, can the edges be more rounded?
How many liters the case going to be?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Is there a specific reason you're going with MDF? It's not super strong and flexes quite a bit. Might wanna look into plywood, if you want to use wood.

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
It should be well ventilated. The less holes the hotter it gets. Having holes perforated around the panel like s4 mini. Also, about the looks, can it be more simple? Apart from giving the case a type of look, it should also be easy to paint over. Just imagine it being painted like a classis NES or SNES.
Also, can the edges be more rounded?
How many liters the case going to be?

Rounding the edges does seem nice.
I was planning on cutting a hole on the right side of the case an putting a big mesh under it. I'm not sure how to make it look like an NES tho if I make the main panels perforated.
It's about 7 liters.