Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018

asrock x570 minor cutting on the vrm heatsink, major modding on the chipset heatsink. 120mm fan in use

Reactions: Revenant

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Is the only way to get this cooler in the US still to order it from OCUK? Not complaining too much, but it'd be nice to have easy availability in the US.

edwad_blake

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 31, 2020
Is there actually a mounting-kit to mount the Black Ridge in a 90° position?
These could maybe solve the compatibility issue for 570x boards (together with vlp-ram)…

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Is there actually a mounting-kit to mount the Black Ridge in a 90° position?
These could maybe solve the compatibility issue for 570x boards (together with vlp-ram)…
Due to the CPU itself not being centered on the motherboard, i don't think it will work (unless I don't understand what you are saying)

edwad_blake

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 31, 2020
Due to the CPU itself not being centered on the motherboard, i don't think it will work (unless I don't understand what you are saying)
I imagined something like Noctua's NM-AM4 kit which allow 90* rotation.
Thereby you would shift overlap away from the m.2 to the ram...
I have a asus x570-I on the way and a Black Ridge at home... my imagination goes wild sometimes..?

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Both the gigabyte and ASRock x570 need mods to fit a black ridge. Best fitting so far is the gigabyte board

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello guys !

I'm actually looking for my future motherboard. For this Black Ridge, the only B550 motherboard that doesn't seems to need any modding is the Asrock B550M-ITXac, right ?

Thank you :-)
I would say yes...:) Asrock seemed to develop this motherboard for low profile 120mm cooler...good thing especially when comparing vs Asus with active fan for VRM cooling and big heatsink.
I guess Mini ITX market is split in 2 nowadays : ones for short aircoolers, ones for AIO

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Hello guys !

I'm actually looking for my future motherboard. For this Black Ridge, the only B550 motherboard that doesn't seems to need any modding is the Asrock B550M-ITXac, right ?

Thank you :-)
Do be aware; the ASrock socket location is a bit lower on the board. The Blackridge is only good for sandwich cases with this board; the MSI and Gigabyte PCBs have the socket slightly higher and would be good for console layouts paired with the Blackridge. You would need to remove the top cover of the NVME drive, but I don't consider that "modding."

Whichever you choose, good luck on your build!

Yoshikan

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2019
Do be aware; the ASrock socket location is a bit lower on the board. The Blackridge is only good for sandwich cases with this board; the MSI and Gigabyte PCBs have the socket slightly higher and would be good for console layouts paired with the Blackridge. You would need to remove the top cover of the NVME drive, but I don't consider that "modding."

Yep, gonna be a sandwich layout in a Sliger SM560. Thanks for your answer ! :-)

Reactions: scatterforce

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018

Can confirm. I run a Black Ridge on an ASRock B450 in a Sliger Conswole. No way it would fit without the riser cable.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I did a small experiment with a 100m fan that has 92mm mounting holes, the thermalright TY-100BP. It fits in the Blackridge with the Asus b450i Strix motherboard and does not conflict with the IO nor ram. :)

How is it for temps? Is there much difference between that fan and an NF-A9x14?

yensteel

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2017
How is it for temps? Is there much difference between that fan and an NF-A9x14?

I didn't do any controlled tests beforehand, sorry :(. All I can remember is that the fan ramped up less often but I also messed with the Power Package, fan smoothing, etc so there's a lot of influencing variables.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I ordered a black ridge recently and it appears like the cold plate has some severe blemishes. Is it worth getting some sandpaper and trying to sand it smooth or will the thermal paste do the job?

I already mounted it so I can’t easily show pictures but figured maybe others had run into it as well

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I ordered a black ridge recently and it appears like the cold plate has some severe blemishes. Is it worth getting some sandpaper and trying to sand it smooth or will the thermal paste do the job?

I already mounted it so I can’t easily show pictures but figured maybe others had run into it as well
thermal paste should do its job to seal any blemishes or fine depressions/air gaps between the cold plate and the CPU IHS.. I dont see a need to worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherB and Skarum

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
My black ridge, using the k39 case, gets the fan clips hitting the riser pcb even after I removed the b450i m.2 heatsink. Not managing to seat the cooler decently. Waited 20 days por my Vlp and now the cooler won't fit with the 120mm slim underneath.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
My black ridge, using the k39 case, gets the fan clips hitting the riser pcb even after I removed the b450i m.2 heatsink. Not managing to seat the cooler decently. Waited 20 days por my Vlp and now the cooler won't fit with the 120mm slim underneath.
Black ridge main flaw is assembly on motherboard. Nowadays there are more incompatibilities than the contrary.