Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

vhannes

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 28, 2019
Since I wasn't able to create an account on hardforum without it getting deleted I'll post this here. I drew up and had my coworker print a shroud for the black ridge + 12x15 combo. I'm not actually able to test it right now though since my zsa4 won't even ship until mid june. One of the possible problems regarding vibration is that I had to remove the rubber pads from the side of the fan that touches against the heatsink.

Last edited:

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Since I wasn't able to create an account on hardforum without it getting deleted I'll post this here. I drew up and had my coworker print a shroud for the black ridge + 12x15 combo. I'm not actually able to test it right now though since my zsa4 won't even ship until mid june. One of the possible problems regarding vibration is that I had to remove the rubber pads from the side of the fan that touches against the heatsink.

That's a good looking shroud! Any plans to make the stl file public?

vhannes

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 28, 2019
That's a good looking shroud! Any plans to make the stl file public?

I can share it if anyone wants but I was gonna find out if it works in my actual setup first before leaving it up somewhere. Theres an obvious possible issue that the shroud might make the whole thing too high which means it has to be sanded down to fit the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherB

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Less and less sure BR with 120mm fan behind it will fit… you can see the high
Thank you for the video. You can see a few different perspectives here.

The layout of the board is extremely similar to the B450 model. For sure, on the X570, we'll have to take off that fan and heatsink on the chipset/M.2 cooler. I only hope the M.2 is mounted directly to the board, and isn't some daughterboard like ASUS uses.

I'd like to keep the VRM heatsink, but it will be very tight. I think there will be enough play in the mounting bracket to make it work.... cause if it doesn't, it will be a wait for MSI to release their ITX offerings. They are the only players left that could possibly fill this need.

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
I can share it if anyone wants but I was gonna find out if it works in my actual setup first before leaving it up somewhere. Theres an obvious possible issue that the shroud might make the whole thing too high which means it has to be sanded down to fit the case.
I'd really like to get hands on that stl file as well

vhannes

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 28, 2019
The .stl can be found here The guy who printed it said that you have to add some sort of base to it so that it doesn't warp while being printed. Also supportive removable struts should be added under the clippy bits. He said he added both in his printer soft or code or something so I don't have an stl with those.

Also please consider this licenensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Edit: I think I fixed the sharing settings so it should be downloadable now.

Last edited:

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2019
EDIT: It seems the Strix x470/b450 mITX fit without modifying the bracket and the m.2 heatsink would fit if there was an extra couple mm space between it and the edge of the fan.

does anybody know which B450/X470 Mini ITX Motherboards the Black Ridge is compatible with, without modifying the brackets? I can't seem to find any actual info from searching, except that it looks like there's no problem with it fitting on the Asus ROG Strix B450-i/X470-i, apart from having to remove the m.2 heatsink, which is a shame.

TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: pwnedundies

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2019
Is there any AM4 board that works with this cooler without modifying the bracket?
The Asus ROG Strix B450/X470 mini ITX fit this cooler without modifying the brackets, however you'll need to remove the m.2 heatsink as the stock 92mm fan is just a tiny bit too big to fit in with the heatsink on.

Reactions: fabio

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether the ASRock Z390 Phantom’s VRM heatsink needs to be removed when using the Black Ridge with a 120mm slim fan? It’s extremely difficult to search for this information (niche within a niche within a niche).

JustinDulay

Caliper Novice
May 3, 2019
Can anyone confirm whether the ASRock Z390 Phantom’s VRM heatsink needs to be removed when using the Black Ridge with a 120mm slim fan? It’s extremely difficult to search for this information (niche within a niche within a niche).

Not my build, but this person's build from PCPartPicker Link (Image #7) shows the stock 92mm fan right against the VRM heatsink. 120mm is a no go.

Reactions: Shinken1

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I'm hoping this can work on the Asus x570-I board. I've noticed @Nanook got it working on the Asus Z390-I board earlier in the thread, so here's hoping. I plan on running a dvd drive in my newly acquired ML06-E so a low profile cooler should help greatly.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Besides the Asus boards, I have seen
I'm hoping this can work on the Asus x570-I board. I've noticed @Nanook got it working on the Asus Z390-I board earlier in the thread, so here's hoping. I plan on running a dvd drive in my newly acquired ML06-E so a low profile cooler should help greatly.

The Asus x570 board has a much taller module below the CPU... it's as tall as the integrated IO cover. Even removing the heatsink on top of the M.2 drive might not be enough.

I truly think the only X570 ITX board that has a chance of working is the Auros model (after removing the M.2 heatsink).

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018

You mind sharing the file? I can 3d print it and test it myself

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018

I used a hacksaw to cut part of the VRM heatsink, thankfully it a groove on the heatsink that was the perfect angle to cut part of the heat sink easily