Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Dondan I know, Inwas saying the specs of the guy that did the test in that forum.
Uncertain - here is the rest of the album which includes HWInfo pictures.

Actually he is using a Xeon 1230v3 with Asus Maximus VII Impact.
Are you sure?
You're absolutely right that it is a Xeon of some sort, but based on the screen caps it looks like it is running a consistent 3.7MHz - which wouldn't match a 1230V3 that is 'stock' at 3.3 and turbos to 3.7. Doesn't make much difference, but my guess is it's the Xeon E3-1240 v6 or something else. They're all the Same TDP though, so from a cooler standpoint shouldn't make much of a difference

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Uncertain - here is the rest of the album which includes HWInfo pictures.

Are you sure?
You're absolutely right that it is a Xeon of some sort, but based on the screen caps it looks like it is running a consistent 3.7MHz - which wouldn't match a 1230V3 that is 'stock' at 3.3 and turbos to 3.7. Doesn't make much difference, but my guess is it's the Xeon E3-1240 v6 or something else. They're all the Same TDP though, so from a cooler standpoint shouldn't make much of a difference

That is what he has listed in his Signature for his Dan A4-SFX, on HWMonitor all you can see is Xeo... so I was just going by the information I could find.

Reactions: Kandirma

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Wow, I hope that was just a sample unit with that bowing!

Would that be something that could just be bent back into place or would that result in damaging the black paint?
Really hope this isn't a common issue with this since it sort of prevents it from being used in the case it was designed in collaboration with!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Wow, I hope that was just a sample unit with that bowing!

Would that be something that could just be bent back into place or would that result in damaging the black paint?
Really hope this isn't a common issue with this since it sort of prevents it from being used in the case it was designed in collaboration with!
Mine has arrived perfectly straight! So I guess was just a bad case!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
A small update: The Black RIdge has clearance issue with the Asus X470 ITX and the SSD Heatsink. Removing the heatsink, everything was fine!
I still need to do a few more test. My reference in the DAN was the 8700K and the L9i, but now I've switched to the 2700X (Personally I don't like it so much, It is hotter in this tiny cases and needs more cooling power than Intel at the same speed).
With everything in AUTO in the bios, and the Noctua fan (swapped with the Alpenfohn) in EXHAUST, under Prime 95 the CPU frequency goes down till 3.2GHz to stay at 85 degrees.
I want to try in Intake configuration, or the original Alpenfohn fan maybe?

FYI, the 8700K delidded with no turbo boost, stay at 3.7GHZ under Prime and 85 degrees Max with the Noctua L9i!

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Hey guys, registered to share my experience with the BlackRidge. My configuration at first: DanCases A4-SFX, ASRock B350 Gaming itx/ac, AMD Ryzen R7 1800X UC@3,4GHz/UV@1,024V, GTX 960 4G, 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz CL15 LP. The Cooling of the CPU did a Cryorig C7 with a cardboard fanduct.
First of all building quality and ease of installation: building quality so so, the cpu plate has little bobbles at the rims of the surface, not very well polished. The fan is not very good. On its first run I let it run on max rpm and there where serious bearing noises which wouldn't stop after slowing it down again. Really shitty fan noise wise I would say. Installation as was mentioned before was not possible until I used my Dremel on the AM4/3 clamps. The form of them and the support of sockets AM3 and downwards is imo not necessary and creates compatibility issues...who is building sff with am3 or even downwards sockets???
But then I got it to run, here the results:

Cryorig C7+FanDuct; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,9 °C
2054 rpm
64°C
51db
88,39W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 17,3 °C
2626 rpm
75°C
50db
91,65W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge/flipped heatsinkfan; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,5 °C
2402 rpm
63°C
44db
88,23W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Remarks: the db was measured with a Samsung S7 from 10cm distance with closed vented site panels. Even though the absolute values might not be correct, subjectively the general message of the measurements is correct. Due to the fact that the default position of the BlackRidge Fan counteracts the ventilation philosophy of the A4 the results are really bad. Once the fan is flipped, it's quieter and a little bit cooler than the C7 with a fanduct, so there is a little headroom there. But to be honest I expected a little more of the BlackRidge. I thought defaultclocks! of the 1800X would be possible. Now I'm thinking about switching the fan to the Noctua... switching cooler to C7 Cu or switching Case to Ghost S1 with quite a better CPU Cooler ;)

Reactions: Saici and fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey guys, registered to share my experience with the BlackRidge. My configuration at first: DanCases A4-SFX, ASRock B350 Gaming itx/ac, AMD Ryzen R7 1800X UC@3,4GHz/UV@1,024V, GTX 960 4G, 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz CL15 LP. The Cooling of the CPU did a Cryorig C7 with a cardboard fanduct.
First of all building quality and ease of installation: building quality so so, the cpu plate has little bobbles at the rims of the surface, not very well polished. The fan is not very good. On its first run I let it run on max rpm and there where serious bearing noises which wouldn't stop after slowing it down again. Really shitty fan noise wise I would say. Installation as was mentioned before was not possible until I used my Dremel on the AM4/3 clamps. The form of them and the support of sockets AM3 and downwards is imo not necessary and creates compatibility issues...who is building sff with am3 or even downwards sockets???
But then I got it to run, here the results:

Cryorig C7+FanDuct; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,9 °C
2054 rpm
64°C
51db
88,39W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 17,3 °C
2626 rpm
75°C
50db
91,65W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge/flipped heatsinkfan; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,5 °C
2402 rpm
63°C
44db
88,23W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Remarks: the db was measured with a Samsung S7 from 10cm distance with closed vented site panels. Even though the absolute values might not be correct, subjectively the general message of the measurements is correct. Due to the fact that the default position of the BlackRidge Fan counteracts the ventilation philosophy of the A4 the results are really bad. Once the fan is flipped, it's quieter and a little bit cooler than the C7 with a fanduct, so there is a little headroom there. But to be honest I expected a little more of the BlackRidge. I thought defaultclocks! of the 1800X would be possible. Now I'm thinking about switching the fan to the Noctua... switching cooler to C7 Cu or switching Case to Ghost S1 with quite a better CPU Cooler ;)
So, you had a better temp with the fan in exhaust or Intake? Which is the default? Thanks to sharing your test!

TudorAdrian

Cable Smoosher
Oct 26, 2018
So, you had a better temp with the fan in exhaust or Intake? Which is the default? Thanks to sharing your test!

Definitely look like he had better results with the fan sucking cold air from the outside and not blowing hot air out (like the BR is set to do by design); looks similar to what I saw another user on the [H]ardForum state

Reactions: fabio

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Yes intake is the way to go for the A4. I think it's weird that they ship it in exhaust configuration considering the fact that this thing was invented and is advertised with the A4 in mind.

Reactions: Supercluster

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Yes intake is the way to go for the A4. I think it's weird that they ship it in exhaust configuration considering the fact that this thing was invented and is advertised with the A4 in mind.
Noctua does the same with the L12S! Maybe I will try this as well reversed! But the DAN has an exhaust issue as well! The Airflow thoughts are correct using the stock cooler that exhaust air from the side, but the Black Ridge and the L12S blow up against the Motherboard, so I don't really know which is the correct way to go...