Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
I'm certain @dondan wants his cooler to be compatible with one of the most popular m-itx boards!

Undoubtedly, but it's not really 'his' cooler anymore either. And there is only so much you can do when boards don't follow keep out zones or other more-or-less standard features. There is a reason all cases are designed for 'reference' cards at a minimum then give wiggle room in some way or another to 'oversized' cards.

You can tell what was particularly popular when a case was designed (tall vs long vs both) - Ncase vs Dan for example, Dan fits taller/longer cards, but can't fit a fat card since there were several top of the line 2-slot cards when Dan came out. When Ncase came out cards weren't going tall, but did go thick so it accommodated accordingly. Hard to say which will be 'better' in the new generation, or if both will end up alright.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Undoubtedly, but it's not really 'his' cooler anymore either. And there is only so much you can do when boards don't follow keep out zones or other more-or-less standard features. There is a reason all cases are designed for 'reference' cards at a minimum then give wiggle room in some way or another to 'oversized' cards.

You can tell what was particularly popular when a case was designed (tall vs long vs both) - Ncase vs Dan for example, Dan fits taller/longer cards, but can't fit a fat card since there were several top of the line 2-slot cards when Dan came out. When Ncase came out cards weren't going tall, but did go thick so it accommodated accordingly. Hard to say which will be 'better' in the new generation, or if both will end up alright.
Considering all the triple slot GPU coolers and volcanic CPU's I'd say the ncase is winning this gen

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Considering all the triple slot GPU coolers and volcanic CPU's I'd say the ncase is winning this gen
Agreed for now at the very least - I was just looking at GPUs though since Ncase will always 'win' the CPU war. I don't think the Ncase has as much to worry about except 'tall' cards for GPU, but that did hit some issues with the last gen of GPUs *shrug*

RicardoSFF

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018

This is exaclty why I asked if it would fit! I couldn't have put it better myself! I hope we have an answer from @dondan soon. Or anyone who could give us an answer.

Diverge

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2018
Has it been said if there will be any US based resellers for this heatsink? Or should I do the preorder at overclockers.co.uk?

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Agreed for now at the very least - I was just looking at GPUs though since Ncase will always 'win' the CPU war. I don't think the Ncase has as much to worry about except 'tall' cards for GPU, but that did hit some issues with the last gen of GPUs *shrug*

This cooler is a niche within a niche. If it wouldn't fit the most popular m-itx boards, it would be a niche within a niche, within a niche, and not very useful. Disregarding the the monstrous Z390 here tho, but excluding -say- the Asus x470-I/B-450-I would simply be stupid. Besides, Dan said himself the cooler would fit Asus boards.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Has it been said if there will be any US based resellers for this heatsink? Or should I do the preorder at overclockers.co.uk?
I don't think there is any US resellers lined up.
You can wait to see if SFF Labs picks it up, but OCUK's DHL Worldwide Express shipping isn't too expensive, so I will be pre-ordering through there (am in Australia.)

Reactions: Diverge

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
Does this cooler now no longer support 2011 Narrow ILM?
I'm sure I read at one point that was one of the aims but I'm seeing no reference to this at all on the product page. Can anyone confirm?

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Does this cooler now no longer support 2011 Narrow ILM?
I'm sure I read at one point that was one of the aims but I'm seeing no reference to this at all on the product page. Can anyone confirm?

Based on the instructions pages - I'd say it does not natively at the very least.

As I mentioned before - Dan was doing this from an enthusiast perspective and wanted that market, while I'm sure the alpenfoehn people want it to do well I have to assume they're doing it from a business perspective and cut costs where they could.

I think the most obvious change is the 4 vs 6 pipe design, in all of dan's testing IIRC the 4 pipes worked better - but if 6 pipes markets better *shrug*. It's always possible they did additional testing and found 6 was better, but this left Dans hands and I think we all need to temper expectations with that in mind. It WAS his passion project, but once it was handed off it is very likely he had little if any direct influence on it.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Best 120mm fan for the performance mode? I already ordered VLP ram and pre-ordered the black ridge. Oh and is the fan pushing or pulling from the heatsink?

Edit: looks like it's pushing up into the heatsink on Performance mode. Since I can only use 40mm case fans i wonder how much of them I will need. I'm going to try to separate the GPU as much as possible from the rest of the case

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Will this cooler fit in the Asus Strix Z390-I Motherboard?

And is there a release date?

If the board follows Intels Keep Out Area specs it will fit.

I'm certain @dondan wants his cooler to be compatible with one of the most popular m-itx boards!

I only worked as an consulting level for this product, so there are many things that are not based on my decision (socket support, fin design, color, heatpipes count ...). So I can't help with compatibility questions, support s.o.

Furthermore for a big performance incensement I recommend to use the heatsink with a 120mm fan under the fin array. I know currently it is very hard to get VLP ram but this is the only way to get a real performance boost from it. The math is easy. In 92mm fan mode the fan can only use the 92mm fin array above it with a 120mm fan it can use the full fin area.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
If the board follows Intels Keep Out Area specs it will fit.

I only worked as an consulting level for this product, so there are many things that are not based on my decision (socket support, fin design, color, heatpipes count ...). So I can't help with compatibility questions, support s.o.

Furthermore for a big performance incensement I recommend to use the heatsink with a 120mm fan under the fin array. I know currently it is very hard to get VLP ram but this is the only way to get a real performance boost from it. The math is easy. In 92mm fan mode the fan can only use the 92mm fin array above it with a 120mm fan it can use the full fin area.
Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
I know currently it is very hard to get VLP ram but this is the only way to get a real performance boost from it. The math is easy. In 92mm fan mode the fan can only use the 92mm fin array above it with a 120mm fan it can use the full fin area.
Any recommendations for VLP ram?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
What I pray in many threads currently is how to deal with Intels TDP because many customers are not happy with their CPU temps.
I recommend to setup "Max Long Power Duration" = 95W or lower in UEFI/Bios. This will let your CPU run in Intel specs and it will be so much cooler. I tested it with an 8700k and an L9i. Here are some results (Prime95 8k):

Auto (125W) = 100+°C /6x 4,3Ghz
95W = 91°C /6x 3,9-4,0Ghz
80W = 80°C /6x 3,7-3,8Ghz
65W = 72°C /6x 3,5-3,6Ghz

100W + undervolt = 87°C / 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.

I know you are losing some MHZ IF ALL CORES ARE IN USE but the performance loss is very low (~8% depending on TDP value). Keep in mind these values are for Prime95 in games the temp will be 10°C lower. So with the Alpen Ridge and a 120mm bottom fan you can expect the following temps:

CPU @ TDP 100W + undervolted -0,1V = 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.:
Prime95 ~ 78-82°C
Games ~ 68-72°C

If you follow this guide for the 9900k I think it will be also possible to have good temps on this CPU.

UPDATE: On Computerbase.de I found an information about the performance loss on 9900K TDP no limit VS TDP 95W limit. The avarage perfromance loss is 1,2% in games for FPS and 2,9% for frametimes. In applications the avarage performance loss is 8%.

Last edited:

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Best 120mm fan for the performance mode? I already ordered VLP ram and pre-ordered the black ridge. Oh and is the fan pushing or pulling from the heatsink?

Edit: looks like it's pushing up into the heatsink on Performance mode. Since I can only use 40mm case fans i wonder how much of them I will need. I'm going to try to separate the GPU as much as possible from the rest of the case

I've tested half a dozen slim 15mm fans, the a12x15 is pretty easily the best.

Reactions: AURMEND and fabio