Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This radiator will be released in September. It's 130mm hight.with 12cm fan 1500 or 1800 RPM.
They are also trying to make a radiator with a height of 135 mm.
It may be called Macho120P.A 135 mm hight radiator with 12cm fan. 5 heatpipes.
There is also a new version of TS90. called TS90P.Upgrade to 4 heatpipes.
Thanks for this info.
This could be an interesting choice for cerberus builds..:)

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
So much for the NCASE M1. It looks like that the DAN Case A4 is a go now for me with the ultimate CPU fan here to accompany it. The $1,000,000 question is if it can handle the current 1.35V, 3.9 GHz overclock of my Ryzen 7 1700. If I have to drop it down to 1.275V, 3.8 GHz, no biggie, but it would be nice if it could handle it. In my RVZ02 that is to be replaced by the DAN Case A4, I am currently using a ID-COOLING IS-60 with a Delta Electronics AFC1212D 120x120x25mm Cooling Fan, 3400 RPM, 113.11 CFM fan flipped to exhaust. Will Dan's fan do the trick in the A4 and handle the overclock?

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Looks like a great heatsink...but "black coating for better heat dissipation"? Black has nothing to do with it. If anything, adding coatings would add another layer of required thermal transfers and be worse. I like black coatings for looking nice though.

Its neat to see these custom projects get support from the industry at large and glad to see all the prep work not go to waste.

Reactions: Beardedswede

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Looks like a great heatsink...but "black coating for better heat dissipation"? Black has nothing to do with it. If anything, adding coatings would add another layer of required thermal transfers and be worse. I like black coatings for looking nice though.

Depends what the 'coating' is. 'Graphene coating' has been used in some cases to increase thermal conductivity - and it just so happens to also make it black.

That said, it's suspect if it is really graphene and not graphite - at the very least it is doubtful it will hurt it, and it might indeed help it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The heatpipes might be able to transport 180W TDP-rated CPU's heat, but the fins and fan itself could very well still be the limit. Heatpipes don't cool, they just move (a part of the) heat from one place to another (ideally, not strictly). The heatsink fins then distribute the heat evenly among a large surface, with which the fan will allow heat to be extracted from these fins via the airflow into the air.

Though the "excess" of heatpipes will probably enable a little buffer and the spread is probably carefully designed to get the heat out of the baseplate as quickly as possible to the entire fin array. I have little doubt this cooler will perform well.

Also, TDP ratings tend to be hard to gauge these days as both Intel and AMD use it for a more baseline performance of the CPU. So any K or X series will exceed the TDP rating quite a lot. Hopefully this cooler is accounting for this and it might as well be.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
From the renders in the OP 120mm fan should work in either position - top or bottom - of the fins. Really look forward to the review now :)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
So will the HSLP-48/Black Ridge fit on an ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac equipped with 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL15 utilizing the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM to likely cool an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with three digit RPM?
How much overall headroom does a case need to provide to fit the HSLP-48/Black Ridge including the backplate and a (Mini-ITX) mainboard?
1. Almost certainly
2. Hard to say for sure but probably
3. A 2200G would be child's play for this cooler
4. Are you asking how much height the entire thing would have? That will vary from board to board but in a normal use-case of an off the shelf case you're looking at 47mm clearance

Reactions: 23571113

Chassis Packer
Feb 27, 2018
Are you asking how much height the entire thing would have? That will vary from board to board but in a normal use-case of an off the shelf case you're looking at 47mm clearance

Yes, I want to build a system around the aforementioned hardware paired with a Kingston A1000 M.2 SSD as well as a HDPlex 160W AC-DC + 160W DC-ATX combo and house everything in a 3D printed organic grid structure case similiar to but with a denser grid like in the following examples.

I assume I need a wall thickness of around 5-10 mm each side and a little bit of extra headroom for a magnetic removable lid.
Interfaces are supposed to be integrated in the case and supported by threaded grub screws like in the Modivio cases.
So far I expect the dimensions to end up around 180 x 250 x 65 mm (W x D x H) with a volume just short of 3l assuming the heatsink has a height of 48 mm and I need another 17 mm (2x7 mm for the case and maybe 3 mm for the mainboard) of headroom for the rest.