Dan Case A4 with 7900X, Asrock x299 itx, 32 GB ram and a FTW3...

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Delid tool arrived yesterday.

Here you can also see the solution I found for mounting a fan to the Dynatron R15.
A drop of superglue on each of the Noctua fan rubber mount things, and a good even press onto the top of the screws for the cooler.
Mounted the fan by grabbing the rubber ends with a set of tweezers or similar and pull upwards through the fan mounting holes..

Perfect snug fit!

Still looking for a harder punching fan though. Any suggestions?

[/IMG]

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
I am considering to swap the 1080 TI FTW3 card out with a founders edition to aid the heat transfer going out of the case. - Good or bad idea?
The FTW3 is hitting a max of 75C at the moment with the original cooler, but it's throwing a lot of warm air around inside the case. I was also considering a heatsink mod might be a way to help out cpu temps.
Eg.- Replacing the original fans+shroud with a set of 3x 92mm slim noctuas ontop of the original heatsink.(No shroud)

Any thoughts on this?
1: Swap it for a founders card ?
2: Go Noctua fan mod ?
3: Don't touch that lovely card dude!!

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Temps after delid. 25 min prime95 run. (7900X / asrock x299itx) @ stock settings

Theinnocent

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2018
I am considering to swap the 1080 TI FTW3 card out with a founders edition to aid the heat transfer going out of the case. - Good or bad idea?
The FTW3 is hitting a max of 75C at the moment with the original cooler, but it's throwing a lot of warm air around inside the case. I was also considering a heatsink mod might be a way to help out cpu temps.
Eg.- Replacing the original fans+shroud with a set of 3x 92mm slim noctuas ontop of the original heatsink.(No shroud)

Any thoughts on this?

Definitely swap that FTW for a founders card. It will definitely decrease the amount of heat dumped into the case. Chances are, it will be able to stay at boost clock longer as well.

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Update

Today a set of tiny fans arrived.

Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX and a Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM. I grabbed one of each as I didn't have everything measured clean so figured I would stay on the safe side. These fans are about $15 per fan or so where I live so it was an easy decision to go with them both.

The plan was to mod the IO shield of the Asrock x299 board to fit a single 40mm exhaust fan, to aid removing hot air from the case without compromising the Dan Case or having to mod anything costly or vital.

I couldn't help myself to wait until after work so I took a well deserved extended lunch break and did the mod.
Result below

Reactions: Sebbie

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015

Any thoughts on this?

I have a EVGA 1060 SSC in a A4 v1, and IMO the EVGA heatsink configuration is nigh perfect for this case. A blower card will probably sound worse and likely cool worse (or at least as well) on account of having to blow hot air along the length of the card rather than across half the card width (assuming the fins are oriented across the card rather than along the card, but I don't expect it to be much different than my card).

If heat is getting trapped in your case, maybe get taller case feet to give the hot air more room to disperse from the bottom of your case, and see if you could maybe find a way to shorten/simplify the power cables and create a baffle to keep the GPU exhaust from entering the motherboard side. I might also orient the CPU cooler 90 degrees from where you show it and see if that promotes more heat exhaust from your admittedly beastly CPU, unless you want the daughtercards to get the airflow.

Reactions: galletabah

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
So don't swap for an blower style card you say? What were your results comparing the two cards?
the FE edition heats up the back of the motherboard and if you have a SSD in this side, you will get a lot of stutter problems, windows inclusive (samsung 960). When I change to the EVGA the problem is gone.
I try a lot of solution for that (10° less):

If you combine the insulation with the evga card, the problem with ssd/motherboard temps is TOTALLY gone.

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Temps seems to have benefited greatly from the 40mm fan drawing hot air out the back. Seeing a 5-10C drop during long renders. Ran a series of renders last night for work, and the hottest core I've seen so far is 81C.
Further testing this weekend as I have another 17 scenes to render on my to-do-list for Monday morning. Good times!

Will upload a recording of noise levels once I get my hands on a decent camera.

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Seems like you've found an acceptable solution!
Yes I think so too!
I also just made a quick model of a fan funnel/duct for the R15+AF14 combo and placed ordered 3D print of it instead of the foam hand cut thing in place now. Pictures when it arrives!

seamon

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2017
the FE edition heats up the back of the motherboard and if you have a SSD in this side, you will get a lot of stutter problems, windows inclusive (samsung 960). When I change to the EVGA the problem is gone.
I try a lot of solution for that (10° less):

If you combine the insulation with the evga card, the problem with ssd/motherboard temps is TOTALLY gone.
What is that thing below the GPU?

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Delid tool arrived yesterday.

Here you can also see the solution I found for mounting a fan to the Dynatron R15.
A drop of superglue on each of the Noctua fan rubber mount things, and a good even press onto the top of the screws for the cooler.
Mounted the fan by grabbing the rubber ends with a set of tweezers or similar and pull upwards through the fan mounting holes..

Perfect snug fit!

Still looking for a harder punching fan though. Any suggestions?

I ordered a Dynatron more than a month ago, it should arrive next week,
I took it because I still want a quick and easy solution to disassemble and reassemble,
my rig is very similar to yours, and your temparute looks good ! Some advice? :)

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Bad day yesterday, - Took of side panel to check up on dust, and behold my four clips on the gpu side broke. So now I am rocking the first ever Dan A4 with flappy panels ;)! -Does anyone know where to find the side panel clips? If possible within the EU I wold be stoked. These little plastic bastards seems really hard to find anywhere really

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Bad day yesterday, - Took of side panel to check up on dust, and behold my four clips on the gpu side broke. So now I am rocking the first ever Dan A4 with flappy panels ;)! -Does anyone know where to find the side panel clips? If possible within the EU I wold be stoked. These little plastic bastards seems really hard to find anywhere really

Man that is annoying. That's why I am a huge fan of screws. Don't understand why people want to hide them all and accept huge disadvantages like the trouble you have now. I don't see any advantages in this clip shit.

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018