Log Portable workstation: A4 H2O w/ 280 radiator

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
IDK if I mentioned this here yet, but I've ordered yet another PCIe 4 riser cable. One that I once saw over on r/sffpc (or could have been even on here, I dont remember anymore): Something called "server-grade" or "server-oriented", which is a very slim, "regular" cable-like looking one, that allows for much more flexibility.

Its similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGM1B9HH/

Ordered it about 2 weeks ago, parcel tracking currently says "shipped", before it was apparently at some airport sorting facility. Officially arriving between the 20th and 31st July.

AFAIK all parcels arriving from outside Europe, sent from other mail services, are automagically taken up by DHL, so as soon as it arrived in Europe, it should be trackable using regular DHL tracking service.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
You are getting to have quite an investment in riser cables! I hope this one does the job you need it to.

I appreciate your dedication to making this SFF build the way you want it to turn out, no matter what it takes, bravo!

Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
You are getting to have quite an investment in riser cables! I hope this one does the job you need it to.

I appreciate your dedication to making this SFF build the way you want it to turn out, no matter what it takes, bravo!

Rick
It should allow me to properly route stuff.
And for future projects, it would be such a joy to have. Been thinking about getting a HDPlex GaN 500, and downsiting to either the S400, S300 or even A4-SFX.

Also, with all the issues of the 13 / 14th intel gen currently in the news.. depending on how the Ryzen 9 9900x actually turns out, I might either go with that or a 7950X. seen several good and one great video with UV / PBO, that went as far as halfing the power consumption while retaining at least 95% of the original computation power.

Originally I planned to go for a 13900K or KS and then then wait another few years till I switch to AMD, but with the current issues, I might actually switch much earlier. Computation power is what I need, the GPU part is a nice, but neglectable thing to me :)

cu, w0lf.

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
I will have some investigation to do it seems, have not seen the news on the 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs.

I will be watching if you do downsize but do my best to not copy you as I kind of had to in my build, just liked your great ideas to much:)

Rick

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
It has arrived! Gonna be fun building with it .. except for the little issue that its a bit too tall 😅 - but with the armada of different riser cables and adapters, its still gonna be very very usefull, esp. with the space limitations around the mainboard area.

In a different case though? Might be the perfect option :)

Currently looking at C4-SFX and inverted NR200 / SAMA builds, on how to best arrange things :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So with the current Intel shitshow going on, I guess I gonna skip 14th gen altogether and do the switch to AMD much earlier than planned.

Yes, I've been pondering it for a while - but the idle power consumption held me off so far.

But then: Since buying the 13700k, I had several mysterious system crashes leading to kernel panics, which I originally attributed to some less than solid self-compiled Mixxx in combination with the RT kernel (Liquourix) I'm using because streaming / audio stuff prefers that. But then, on the other hand, I never had those issues before, even with all the RT and low-latency improvements I used so far on my AM4 systems, on older Intel and my mobile AMD systems.

Yes, I did have a lot of other isuses since i switched to Linux as primary OS in 2007, but definitely not those. Could be really just from current kernels with RT optimization, but it might also be related to the 13 / 14th gen CPU degradation issue. At least my other system with the 13500 should be safe, as those are technically 12th gen (people suggest its maybe a 12700k which didnt quite make it etc.).

At least I dont have to change the form factor AND not even the brand, as I'd be helping myself to the AM5 equivalent of the Asrock Z690 PG-ITX, the Asrock B650E PG-ITX (no USB4 / TB4, but aside of that, pretty similar (see comparison on geizhals).

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So I was pondering why one couldnt just enlarge the A4-H2O a bit, so that a 280 would actually fit on top.
Turns out, aside various minor issues like the side and front panel mounting clamps - the case is actually only 135 mm wide!

(insert various curses here)

Apparently, with the side panels, it somehow gets to be roughly 140 mm wide.

Well, so much for this.

Guess I gonna finish building with a side mounted AIO, while still not having figured out how to properly mount the GPU to the case. Maybe zipties together with the radiator / fan mounting brackets? Feels like a very janky method, but uh welll ...

.. on that note, the very next build is either gonna be a sleeper, a massive case mod with the S400 ( + 280 AIO), or going air cooled in sth like the Silverstone SG13 / SG05. Planning to switch to AM5 in September or so. Either 9 7950X, or if the 9 9900X is actually as "far ahead" as all the made-up benchmarks suggest, then with that.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Getting increasily frustrated with the GPU situation. Considering testing and eventually switching parts with the S396 build, also including finishing the top hat.

The GPU would be perfect for a white build, and the system would profit a lot from nice cables supplied with the SF750. In its current setup, its already very portable, and weight distribution might change for the better, despite adding a larger GPU.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I think I figured out how to get the GPU situation "fixed". Its "front side" (where the ports and PCIE bracket is located) is no issue, got a vertical mount thats now a horizontal one.

The "back" is the main issue. AND that it could still move when carried around.

My thought-up solution would be: Add a thin metal connector between where the mainboard connects in the middle of the case, and the other side of the case (front side). Either one with screw holes at regular intervals or long slots. Now add a 90° bracket with washers to this, and slot it into position, maybe also adding some cushioning material (eg. rubber) to avoid scratches to the back and bottom of the GPU.

This should ascertain that the GPU is both locked in place and cannot sag into the PSU / front section of the case at the same time.

Could even add another smaller 90° bracket to move the GPU further up or down, depending on fan noise and thermals.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Stuff arrived over the weekend. Something called "flat jointer with long slots". 155 x 24 x 3 mm. Fits very well, despite being meant for furniture (annoyingly rounded ends etc.). Test fit using neodym 1 cm cubes hold up very well, would be even a temporary option, but needs something more solid. Either gonna be another L-bracket or just some solid standoffs / screws.

Rest should work as imagined, ie. washers on L-bracket + rubber dampenerss to avoid scratching the GPU.

Oh, and birthday present in September is deffo gonna be an R9 7950X + board.
Gonna drop it in there and see if I'm satisfied, and if not, I gonna prepare the next build :)

cu, w0lf.

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
I have seen the x and x3d selling for close to the same price, is there a reason you prefer the x version or just have not found the x3d for a decent price?

My buddy got one a few months back for $549 delivered, sales tax included, brand new. I have seen open box ones from good sellers for under $500.

""flat jointer with long slots". 155 x 24 x 3 mm" also sounds like a construction item, made of galvanized steel, used to join lumber together when making trusses.

Curious to see how your mounting solution finally works out, or not, hope it does:)

Rick

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I have seen the x and x3d selling for close to the same price, is there a reason you prefer the x version or just have not found the x3d for a decent price?

My buddy got one a few months back for $549 delivered, sales tax included, brand new. I have seen open box ones from good sellers for under $500.
In Germany, the 7950X3D costs about 70 - 80 Euro more than the regular 7950.

And I dont really need the X3D part, as my gaming is not on a competitive level (actually I havent played games on anything but the smart phone for over 7 years).

""flat jointer with long slots". 155 x 24 x 3 mm" also sounds like a construction item, made of galvanized steel, used to join lumber together when making trusses.

Its mostly lost in translation. English seems to be missing the correct words, so I have to work with the clunky ones.
German description would be: "Verstellbare Flachverbinder mit Langloch" (sic).

These here, specifically: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CF1Z4TNS

Curious to see how your mounting solution finally works out, or not, hope it does:)
I might not have anything for the "rubber dampener" part yet, but the rest is mostly about drilling a few holes in the inner parts of the case and then combining everything :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Preparing for a test build for Sunday / Monday, before the final move(s). Gonna build the system in the only "true" 280 AIO-supporting case I got - well, technically, there are two: The original Meshlicious and the Meshroom S.

Depending on my mood, its gonna be either the original (cause tried and true) or the Meshroom S (because there might be less issues / improvements).

Specs for this system:
Same as before, except .. my early birthday present arrived on Friday :)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X + Asrock B650-E PG-ITX, because of the Intel issues

Originally was pondering if I should just build in the S400 and use that for now, but as I want to do a mod with this in the next few months, this seems a bit contraproductive.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Ugh. I'm kinda done with this (for now).

The riser routing issue remains.

It results in not being able to route the DP extension cable outside of the case because there isnt enough space left to do so. Thats because the riser cable is clashing with the case construction, even slighly bending it in shape doesnt help much. I tried several different configurations, even another few riser-ipedes, but its just not working out.

Thus I'm either going for a "classic" build, using the Thermalright Frozen Edge 240 + 2x Arctic P12 Max, or just the "FU" edition and dropping everything inside the S400 + LP air cooling.

cu, w0lf.