DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Today I made a short rendering with I/O on top because I still like this design. I think it looks more elegant without the cutouts on the sides. For this test I used only USB3.0 type A and USB3.1 type C on the topside.
I know we already had the discussion, but what do you think?

Click for 4K

Looks good.
BUT, makes no sense if you intend to flip the case. I don't think the IO on the side was bad at all, and you could maintain the "flip" feature ;)

Cheers

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Rotating the case is a mainfeature so yes also on the top i/o version you can unscrew the i/o bracket and mount it on the other side.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Personally i could do away with front I/O entirely, but i'm really liking the version with I/O on top.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I definitely prefer I/O on the side. Not only I think it looks better but also looks different than most cases (imho).
I rather have the very first design rather than the one with the I/O on top...

On a side note: is it possible to not have viewable screws on the Top Panel? (Maybe use Push Pins + Screws on the back of the case)

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
actually, i am thinking it will look very clean if there are no i/o on top or side.

May not be convenient for everyone
- power button can locate in the back
- since this is a small case, it's very easy to reach to the back (for usb)
- then you can flip the case all around.

Reactions: DKsystem

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
@dondan What would be the price difference between the two? While it may not be a huge deal on extended orders, I know for single items that complex geometry, like the concave cuts on the side-IO version, can dramatically increase price.

While -I- prefer the Side-IO, and likely would shovel out the additional cash, I know for many people, the difference between 175 USD and 200 USD for a case pushes it past the "worth it" range, so this might be something that needs to be looked at with a more serious eye from a business standpoint.

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
Typically I'm a big fan of full glass side panels and IO being on the top or front but I really love how the IO on the side panel creates some breaks in the shape. Just my opinion.

HaveBlue

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
Love it. Although I think the side I/o is more functional and breaks up the squareness pf the case, the square side window is more realistic as the cutouts in the previous render would add cost since I imagine tempered glass would be difficult to cut in that way.

Reactions: Arboreal

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Today I made a short rendering with I/O on top because I still like this design. I think it looks more elegant without the cutouts on the sides. For this test I used only USB3.0 type A and USB3.1 type C on the topside.
I know we already had the discussion, but what do you think?

Click for 4K

Definitely like this design more than cutouts on the side and I'm digging the port selection (maybe add in headphone/microphone jack if there's room?). Just need to see how temps differ between tempered glassed and vented aluminum versions now

Last edited:

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
opinion:
- i/o to the side, top almost every case has it - too plain. No placement woes when case is flipped.
- sincerely I want the front to accomodate a 3.5. 2 x 2Tb NDDs is not enough.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe it is just my usecase but i only need front i/o for plug in a USB stick. So 99% of the time there is nothing pluged in. My headphone is pluged in over the backside because it looks much cleaner. Don't forgett this case is very small and is located on the desk so access the backside of the case is not a big deal. I love pure and elegant design like Apple products and in my opinion the top i/o is more elegant and the side i/o looks playful starship like.

Furthermore the top i/o is cheaper in production because i can use usb headers that already exists. (Saving tooling costs)

Last edited:

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
Point taken on top I/0. It's just a suggestion anyway.

How about a 7mm increase in front to accommodate a 3.5 hdd? This size having 8Tb or more storage is just awesome. Again a suggestion.

Thank you again for making this awesome case.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Maybe it is just my usecase but i only need front i/o for plug in a USB stick. So 99% of the time there is nothing pluged in. My headphone is pluged in over the backside because it looks much cleaner. Don't forgett this case is very small and is located on the desk so access the backside of the case is not a big deal. I love pure and elegant design like Apple products and in my opinion the top i/o is more elegant and the side i/o looks playful starship like.

Furthermore the top i/o is cheaper in production because i can use usb headers that already exists. (Saving tooling costs)
I use headphones almost everyday, I/O on top not only looks "ordinary" but also worsens the experience for people that use the headphone jack.
I don't think Apple will ever sell a device with I/O on top, stuff can go inside the ports (dust, water, etc) and generally it will look weird once you plug in cables or devices.

Re: Cost - How much lower? Doesn't make a huge difference if we are talking $5-$10? I personally think we all now that SFF cases can be quite expensive but I was totally ok with the price stated on the fist page.

@dondan Side panels already won the survey by a huge margin. I guess people have spoken. Why suddenly change?

Last edited:

RollinLower

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2018
alright, i know this is still prototyping, but i really want to get my hands on one of these! i've made a profile just to ask about this :p

so any word on availability? i don't expect this to ship tomorrow or even in the next few months ofcourse, but is there atleast some sort of baseline?

thanks for any replies!

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018

Is there any chance the front I/O section can be made removable? I take it removing the PCB and internals should be easy enough, but it would be nice if the case came with or provided a e.g. plastic cover to cover the empty front I/O ports in a use case where the front I/O PCB is removed. This could make cable management a little bit easier for those who does not need the front I/O, and can perhaps be considered a low effort to implement?

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
i have a wireless headphone. and usually the only thing that plugs in the front are camera sd card or phone micro sd card.

sd slot is a plus for me if there are i/o panel on the case

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
@dondan Will you consider moving the fan support bracket to the bottom of the case? This will allow the use of a thicker 120 AIO, such as the H80i, or have a push pull setup under the PSU for CPU cooling while using a slimmer aio for the GPU. I know it might not look as good but ppl can make a "fan and radiator shroud" to block it off.

Reactions: talkion

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017
I use headphones almost everyday, I/O on top not only looks "ordinary" but also worsens the experience for people that use the headphone jack.
I don't think Apple will ever sell a device with I/O on top, stuff can go inside the ports (dust, water, etc) and generally it will look weird once you plug in cables or devices.

Re: Cost - How much lower? Doesn't make a huge difference if we are talking $5-$10? I personally think we all now that SFF cases can be quite expensive but I was totally ok with the price stated on the fist page.

@dondan Side panels already won the survey by a huge margin. I guess people have spoken. Why suddenly change?

I coincide with you, to have usb or earphones above it looks worse, in the side it is more elegant and to the naked eye one sees cleaner.

With the new form continues to be another equal case to the rest but smaller, also the another form is more original and different from the rest what does that it gains points.

@dondan Ultimately can 3 hard disks of 2.5 be inserted? where?

Status
Not open for further replies.