DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@dapperlilsailor: I will do it after the survey is done + making the drawings up to date.

@All Slot questions:
Currently we have over 400 votes. With 52,1% for 2Slot, 26,7% 2.5 Slot, 12,6% 2,75 Slot and 8,6% 3 Slot.

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

This is awesome! I love the flexibility of GPU support. The original A4 was the touted as smallest possible case to use high-end standardized components. I feel that the C4 will take that to the next level of accommodating high-end components. I love this.

I would prefer 149mm width. However 149mm. would not support the C14, you’d need 160mm.

Few thoughts on these configurations for the SFF enthusiast who really want to cramp as much stuff as possible in tiny cases:
  1. I am wondering if there can be added flexibility for the ability to slide the vertical gpu mount up and down.
  2. Any advantage for mounting nanoATX DC-DC units like the HDPlex?
  3. Folks going with a G-Unique 500w Archdameon unit may be able to add a custom loop reservoir and pump. Even a D5 pump!
  4. Having real estate for a total of 5.75 PCIe slots means there might be chance for getting a second (or third?!) expansion/graphics card. Think of a classic card and a second card with PCIe riser, PCIe bifurcation, some way to SLI/NVlink / crossfire. Steaming card, production work, possibilities are endless!

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
I'm definitely intrigued. I think I'll withhold judgment till I can see some more detailed graphics. Having a hard time visualizing. :)

EDIT
After doing a rough sketch I realized the only way this would work is by placing your rad on the GPU side of the board. Based on some of the plans and models I've made for water cooling, I feel like this will make custom loops VERY difficult.

Last edited:

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
@dapperlilsailor: I will do it after the survey is done + making the drawings up to date.

@All Slot questions:
Currently we have over 400 votes. With 52,1% for 2Slot, 26,7% 2.5 Slot, 12,6% 2,75 Slot and 8,6% 3 Slot.

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

That's a no from me unless you're planning to change the philosophy of this case into a 'case that does everything' deal.

In which case I already have the NCASE for that. Not liking that this case is continually getting bigger and bigger. Not sure if I'm prepared to foot the cost for all those power connectors either for a layout I'll never use, and if you go that route you lose the C14 compatibility anyway.

Seems the vast majority of survey takers were quite happy with a 2 slot GPU and now we're accommodating everything again...

Last edited:

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
Reup:

Mad lad.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
I really like this new direction for the case. Also, for people worried about CPU cooler height in a 140mm layout, note that Noctua is coming out with a next gen C Type cooler that is apparently 110mm in height. https://noctua.at/en/noctua-at-computex-2018

The question is:
Is 110mm height with Full size Fan?
C14S in Low Profile Mode is 115mm.
That Next Generation cooler doesn‘t have this ability.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@With an width of 149 this case support in classic PC hardware mode heatsink up to 125mm in height. The C14S needs 115mm with 140/120mm fan under the fin array:

fightertoad

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2018
The question is:
Is 110mm height with Full size Fan?
C14S in Low Profile Mode is 115mm.
That Next Generation cooler doesn‘t have this ability.

My guess is that this might ship with the new A14x15 they are working on. (sterrox slim version for 140mm fans). They are comparing its 110mm height to both heights of C14S on that card, so it should logically be accounting for some fan on there.

Reactions: gotcha43

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
@dondan i personally think that this new layout is great especially for those that are not willing to compromise performance whilst maintaining the sff aspect. sure, there are cases that could do this on the market right now like the NCase and Cerberus, but if this new layout manages to accomodate a proper equal 3 slot length compared to the NCase while maintaining a smaller size, imho it's more than welcomed. the ability to switch layouts is a cherry on top.
one could argue that NCase is already great at what it does, but that does not negate the fact that the NCase also has its own flaws and if the new layout of the C4 could tackle these problems, then why should the development of it simply be stopped just because it is trying to be better than something that is considered good.
also with the new layout, you could target a much larger audience. the A4 is present for those who are willing to sacrifice some thermal and performance by restricting themselves to CPUs of lower TDP and GPUs that does not perform great with thermals and overclock. so, why not make the C4 a different case rather than an iteration of the A4 and target a wider audience?

Reactions: Supercluster

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

@All Slot questions:

I've always liked the "concept" of Coolermaster Mazsterbox, where you can re-arrange the interal layout to fit you best, but it was always a huge case. I would love something this small to give this level of customization. This adds a lot of flexibility at only 1L larger than the original design, I like it.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I like the new layout, but personally I think the original design was best for me, so I could go either way. As long as this new idea doesn't change the overall footprint too much and supports the NZXT Kraken X52, I'm okay with it (Might need to see renders/prototypes to formulate my opinion on the footprint). I only have one concern: Would the PCI-e riser cable needed for the original C4 sandwich layout interfere with the airflow of one of the fans for the radiator?

EDIT: I don't think this has changed, but a place for at least one 2.5" drive would be nice.

Last edited:

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018

@All Slot questions:

Perfection ...

I'm even over my desire for the A4 layout with this new design. It offers way too much compatibility over the A4.

I think you could still even make it flippable.

Status
Not open for further replies.