DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yes this is the compromise, but it will work with many cards. If you need more use vertical location.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
There has been to many proposed changes and people are already starting to lose interest.

No sure about that. This whole discussion is about finding the best overall design. And:
  1. People are clearly not losing interest
  2. Even if they are right now, that's not a problem until the KS campaign starts. By that time the design would have been finalized.

Reactions: Shinken1

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
+1 for your new crazy idea Dan. The C4-SFX Flexible Edition! Maybe the C4-SFleX...

Although I would prefer a narrow case, for the most minimal footprint on my desk, If you can keep the width down to 140mm I think this will be one of the best possible compromises. 11L is still really small.

Would the Sandwich/Classic layout be one that would need to be chosen initially, with the different versions only sharing a common exterior shell? Or, would the case be able to be reconfigured to either layout at any time?
If he can keep the width to 140mm the case will be: 1.4×2.375×3.1 = 10.3075L

The 11L volume is if he goes with the easier-to-implement 149mm width.

Reactions: Talyrius and dondan

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If he can keep the width to 140mm the case will be: 1.4×2.375×3.1 = 10.3075L

The 11L volume is if he goes with the easier-to-implement 149mm width.

Ah yes, I see now, thanks for pointing that out. Even better!

Since the original post for the C4 had a volume of 9.85L, and considering all the discussion over the last 100+ pages regarding layouts, radiator support, GPU widths, etc. I think that an increase of less than 0.5L that accommodates the majority of wants and needs is an excellent solution.

In an ideal world each person here would want a case that's customised to the millimetre for their particular build. However, as Dan needs this to be commercially viable and needs a minimum number of orders for that to happen, I'm hoping that this latest vision for the C4 gets everyones backing. That way the final design can be put together and we can all be building into our new Dan C4s before the end of 2019!

teajanky

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2019
@dondan I would use the sandwich design personally, but i still like the the idea that a graphics card and radiators have a similar shape and thus can exchange position. If the aesthetic can stay intact i would not mind to have more options even if i don't really need them now. I think it might keep the case more relevant longer but speculation about the future is a tricky thing. Keep up the good work and please don't drop the C4 sandwich design.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@teajanky: Yes the aesthetic will be the same :) The C4 sandwich design is still a part of the new case because it is one of the supported ways to build inside :)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Reup:

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Reup:

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

A change this significant may need a new poll. Perhaps make a new one after the last one is done.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Don't take me wrong. I love the new layout. It's a brilliant idea.
I guess we still need to settle on 149mm vs 140mm size. How much do you estimate 140 size will increase the cost?

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
for me, 11liters, so 149mm wide is narrow enough. Gives more air for GPU cables or wider Cards. Low-Profile 180degree power Adapters would be great anyways. But they could be sold seperately.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Not against it, it's just that with every update I am more and more unsure if I should just get an A4 (depending on how the new Asetek AiO performs). I guess I will just have to see how the final product looks like. A4 has the looks and smaller size, C4 has the better cooling possibilities (bigger card support is not important for me, because when building for SFF I can make a compromise or two).

btw how come you changed your mind in regards to "go bigger"? iirc you were strongly opposed to the idea of making the case bigger and stepping into N1 territory, weren't you?

Reactions: papsicleboy

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Not against it, it's just that with every update I am more and more unsure if I should just get an A4 (depending on how the new Asetek AiO performs). I guess I will just have to see how the final product looks like. A4 has the looks and smaller size, C4 has the better cooling possibilities (bigger card support is not important for me, because when building for SFF I can make a compromise or two).

btw how come you changed your mind in regards to "go bigger"? iirc you were strongly opposed to the idea of making the case bigger and stepping into N1 territory, weren't you?
Can't follow this.
It's in 10,3liter size just a bit over the original size of Post #1. It's just the c4 with additional "classic layout" support to switch positions of AIO and GPU. Gives more flexibility without compromising and will bring this case to more customers.
I really appreciate this idea of "one size fits all". No Need for tophats or just another case. Just use, what fits your Needs.

Reactions: Talyrius and BillT

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
@gotcha43 are you talking about the latter part of my post? 11l is where we are at right now, right? Compare that to 9.85L (or 10.3) and math tells you the case got bigger. :p
Also, this was not an attack or negative feedback, just a question out of curiosity.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
As someone who sadly was beginning to lose interest on this project (sorry Dan), this new compatible layout concept has me excited again! I loved the first iteration up to the prototype, but then things went all over the place after that, and I think the case lost its *it* factor for me. This new concept brings it back. Great idea @dondan !

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@JDK: Yes the new layout is 149x237,5x310 = 11L but I said it would be possible to make it also with 140x237,5x310 = 10,3L if I inlcude a special PCIe 6pin/8pin connector. This is what gotcha43 refers to.

@Brude27: Happy you are in again :)

@ALL: I am very happy about the great activity on the survey and the thread the last weeks. I am also hyped again :)

Last edited:

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
@gotcha43 are you talking about the latter part of my post? 11l is where we are at right now, right? Compare that to 9.85L (or 10.3) and math tells you the case got bigger. :p
Also, this was not an attack or negative feedback, just a question out of curiosity.
The case started at 9,8liter. Now, it would be 10,3liter. Thats a lil' bit bigger then at start, but a lot smaller than 12+ Liter Ncase M1, while being more flexible.
I think, going "bigger" to M1 territory is a lil' bit over the top, that's all. :)

DarkForce

Efficiency Noob
Jan 31, 2019
Reup:

This looks awesome! My first post here on SFF forum. With this layout, my currently oversized Palit 1080TI would fit, then when its time for a new GPU, can consider 2.5 - 2.75 slot GPU.

I have 2 questions:
1. Did some research for a potential Ncase M1 build, noticed that people were saying an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X wouldn't fit because the PCI-E power connectors extend out the to the edge of the card. Would the C4 with this layout at 149mm and 140mm share this same limitation?
2. Is the case still rotatable? Just wondering if that's still a feature in this latest layout.

Was seriously considering to get an Ncase M1, but this new layout is very intriguing!

EDIT: I'm prefer 149mm width for better GPU compatibility

Last edited:

Hudbox

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2018
Reup:

This is a perfect idea, provides options on layout and supports future gpu options down the road. If you can reduce to 10,3L by using custom PCIe connectors even better.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
1. Did some research for a potential Ncase M1 build, noticed that people were saying an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X wouldn't fit because the PCI-E power connectors extend out the to the edge of the card. Would the C4 with this layout at 149mm and 140mm share this same limitation?
Would only fit in vertical Position. for horizontal Position, it's too wide with 140mm. The whole case is max 149mm, so HOW? :D

Reactions: DarkForce
Status
Not open for further replies.