DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
@whatanoob So you're saying you'd rather deal with blindly plugging in a thumb drive into your back IO every let's say 4 days (that's 90 times a year) than manage ONE USB front IO cable ONCE? We're still gonna have power button cable anyways. That cable's just gonna be joined with one more, it's not like we are talking about an inch thick bunch of extra cables to manage... It's one single cable that shares the run with something else pretty essential for most of the way.
Yes, if it's a small enough case, I'll take the cleaner look and having one less cable to manage, if that means every few days I'll have to go through the huge task of plugging a usb drive into a rear IO that's well within arm's reach because of how small the case is.

But again, it's a matter of preference, I can definitely understand wanting to have front IO in this case. The problem I had with your previous post was how you described the idea of not wanting front IO as "plain illogical behavior" - I simply explained why it is not illogical.

It was also laughable how you implied dondan will definitely not consider this "ridiculous idea", when it's a feature present in some of the most popular projects (i.e. S4 Mini, Ghost S1, Chimera MachOne, DSE Breathe, Circle Pro, CCD MI-6, Mjornir I, Modivio xCase, Lazer3D HT5, LZ7 and CG7, etc.).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think dondan will use that in this case, but it most certainly isn't a "ridiculous idea", as most of the community would agree.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

A4, C4, M1, S4M

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
The main question is: when?

So I feel, that the C4 project is rotating now for months about design elements... But my Dan A4 stays simple not vissible behind my Monitor. But I'll have thermal problems with VR (and without too - my CPU&GPU is running ingames mostly at >=75°C without VR)... the hole case is very hot.. so time is running...

Yesterday I ordered a ghost S1 mkII and a Fractal Design S24 AIO... sorry.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Wait, now we are arguing to remove Front-IO altogether?

In the last weeks I have used my front USB (A) to
  • charge my phone
  • charge my smartwatch
  • backup files
  • flash an SD card (for Raspberry Pi installation)
  • flash an USB stick (for Manjaro installation on my notebook)
  • use Logitech dongles to test my new mice
If I set up a new system (which I will definitely do with a new case and components), I would have to use USB-drives/sticks to install an OS and transfer backups/files. The last thing I'd like to do is fumble around with ports on the back, after I've assembled the hardware.

For me it is hard to believe, that people really want to ditch that functionality, but I understand there are different use cases and different needs. I for one, will simply not buy the case, if it doesn't provide at least one front USB-port.

optimumtech

Cable Smoosher
Apr 23, 2018
The main question is: when?

Yesterday I ordered a ghost S1 mkII and a Fractal Design S24 AIO... sorry.

Might want to return that S24, the tubing does not rotate on the block like the Kraken and other options.
You might have problems with fitment.

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
It seems to be enough space inside of the ghost s1 for it. But I'll take a look on this detail. Thanks.

PS: yes - there is a Video which shows the montage of the ghost with the S24 AIO, the tubes will be kinked a little bit but not more than the tubes inside of the dan a4. It will fit.

Do you have the AIO inside of Dan A4 and under the psu? There is so less of space. The tubes must be literally squeezed and kinked there.. It's crazy - but works..

Last edited:

Shasmeina

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 23, 2018
Dual 120 and type C. I plan on using a evga hybrid card and a 120 cpu cooler. I don’t want the noise from random heat spikes on air cooling. I wish an H80 would fit since I’ll be putting in a socket 2066 chip.

Reactions: talkion

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
a single 120 AIO is to less for a potent cpu.. A 240 for cpu and air cooled gpu would be the best I think.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
a single 120 AIO is to less for a potent cpu.. A 240 for cpu and air cooled gpu would be the best I think.
I don't think so. Sure you can't do a a lot of overclocking, but you sure can do some (Probably like an all core overclock to the boost clock or a little more if you can manage to hold the voltage at a moderate level)! Also as Shasmeine said, AIOs are less prone to heat spikes and the fans spinning up drastically. We all have to be aware that building in a SFF case will restrict cooling and therefore overclocking performance in comparison to bigger cases and more extensive cooling solutions.

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
I don't think so. Sure you can't do a a lot of overclocking, but you sure can do some (Probably like an all core overclock to the boost clock or a little more if you can manage to hold the voltage at a moderate level)! Also as Shasmeine said, AIOs are less prone to heat spikes and the fans spinning up drastically. We all have to be aware that building in a SFF case will restrict cooling and therefore overclocking performance in comparison to bigger cases and more extensive cooling solutions.

I'm using a Dan A4 SFX with a i7-8700K (non overclocked) with a single 120 AIO and 92mm fan (Asetek 545LC) and a 1080ti now for many month. The gpu is not that Problem, but the cpu will get very hot in very short time.

If I'm using CPU intensive apps (stitching 360° Videos of my GoPro Fusion as example), the cpu temps will reach after 1-2mins temp-throttle regions of more than 96°C!!!

Gaming without VR in moderated Details frame limited to 85fps (my g-sync-Monitor refresh rate), the temps will reach 75°C for CPU and 65-70°C for GPU. With full details and warmer ambient temps, 80°C for CPU will also possible. The hole case will reach then after a while interesting temps..

With VR, Games will use more power... with higher temperatures...

I think the cpu will need a bigger AIO. A 240er AIO will be perfect. The additional fan will blow also more air through the case and will take more heat from the GPU and board away...

Last edited:

Shasmeina

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 23, 2018
I have no interest in overclocking my cpu. I will be running a HEDT system for the quad channel ram. If my goal was to OC, I wouldn't be looking at a case the size of a 12 pack of beer. Noise and space are my taegets. I plan on running a TEC on the cpu under the waterblock.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I have no interest in overclocking my cpu. I will be running a HEDT system for the quad channel ram. If my goal was to OC, I wouldn't be looking at a case the size of a 12 pack of beer. Noise and space are my taegets. I plan on running a TEC on the cpu under the waterblock.
Huh, been a while since I've heard of anyone using a Peltier / TEC to cool anything, and even then, it was only temporary. How do you plan on regulating the Peltier cooler? If you don't change wattage you're going to either end up with a cold->frozen->wet CPU or a cool->overheated CPU, though you probably already considered this.

The first thing that came to mind was feeding an MCU with temperature/wattage data over USB/SPI/I2C alongside a thermocouple/thermistor to measure Peltier temperature, then using on-board logic to control a power regulator (PWM, Variable Voltage/Amperage, etc.) going to the Peltier cooler. (That or I guess you could get an off-the-shelf TEC controller, though I don't know how it would react to the sudden fluctuations a CPU could produce.)

Hub

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2018
Please make it fit the tickest aio radiator+fan possible (60-65mm) Otherwise I dont see why I would need this case. Beacause it cant cool the top class CPU well. For Middle class CPU we have dan case a4

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
All the new parts are out. The holidays are coming. It is PC building season. I really don't want to buy a case just to hold me over, but the worse thing is the lack of communication. Everyone is discussing the case except the person who has the power to change things. I'd really like to see what you're thinking @dondan when it comes to the timeline you have in your head. November is already around the corner.

I feel at this point it is time to come in and say this is how it's going to be instead of trying to please everyone. When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. The A4 is a staple in the SFF community and I know for a fact you can do the same thing with the C4.

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
All the new parts are out. The holidays are coming. It is PC building season. I really don't want to buy a case just to hold me over, but the worse thing is the lack of communication. Everyone is discussing the case except the person who has the power to change things. I'd really like to see what you're thinking @dondan when it comes to the timeline you have in your head. November is already around the corner.

I feel at this point it is time to come in and say this is how it's going to be instead of trying to please everyone. When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. The A4 is a staple in the SFF community and I know for a fact you can do the same thing with the C4.

Chill out mate, your urges don't necessarily have to align with the disposition and workload of Dan. I believe he became a father recently but even so, he doesn't owe you any explanation, these projects take time. Do you really think that comments like yours will help in any way to accelerate the production of the case? Or is it more plausible that you'll get someone pissed? If I was designing this case I wonder if I would be willing to sell it to someone with that demanding attitude.
If you don't want to wait, buy another case, what's the worry? You can also design one yourself or try to leave some positive feedback that will help accelerate development of the C4. Building up frustration ain't gonna take you nowhere man. (pun/reference totally intended).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.