DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
@Mallot the unibody design really isn't ugly. it can be done well. its just more of the same which is whats dissapointing
It works on the A4 because it's so short, on the height. Boxes with a rounded edge really doesn't look good, while a rounded edge brick is fine.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I think the idea behind the uni-body is great. I love the design and curves. It's very streamlined with the A4.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
I actually really like the uni-body. I would be excited for either of them. I actually may favor the uni-body especially if it is that much cheaper when it comes to kickstarter. It looks really clean. I would love some other pictures

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
To give some input for a discussion:

If I go for the unibody design, what should we do with the I/O?

- I/O on topside (can be moved to the opposite side if you rotate the case )
- a single USB-Type-C at the front
- no I/O

If I go for the unibody design what should we do with the Power Button?

- At the front centred
- At the front like for the A4
- Power button on the top side

A question belongs to the rotating feature. The rotating feature is one point that makes the development very hard, because it requires to move the case feet’s, maybe I/O (depending on the location) and the case must look the same from both sides. Is this feature a must have for you?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have an idea for the I/O, and no idea if this works from an engineering point of view, or the costs involved to do this nicely.

What if the I/O was implemented as a module than could be fitted to the left or right of the case without the need to rotate it. If you could fit the necessary connections into a module that was the same size as a 2.5 inch drive, then whichever side did not have the I/O could hold a 2.5 inch drive in the same space.

I realize that a 10cm module slid into one size or the other could look ugly, compared to a strip running the entire height of the case, but I had an idea for that too. I have a Logitech G900 mouse which allows the side buttons to be fitted to either side. Whichever side you don't use is covered by a strip that fits into the mouse magnetically. The same could be done for the I/O side strips. Magnetically attached strips that can be fitted to either side depending on your preference. The strips could also be available in different finishes. Matte black, gloss black, gunmetal, etc. to provide a matching or contrasting finish.

Last edited:

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
I just randomly found this case on YouTube; a guy by the name of "Optimum Tech" talks about it...

Signed up to track the progress... Can't wait to pre-order! Big fan of the A4!

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I prefer having I/O at front... But a USB-A and a USB-C would be awesome. Power button at the front like A4. Rotating feature is not a key for me unless 240mm is positioned at the bottom. I prefer having that much more on the top side.

Anyway, don't mind if position changes. But at least a port at the front would be "necessary". What I really can't stand would be an increase in size not motivated by a big increase in cooling performance (for example, don't understand need for 2x120 at front, but understand 2x120 at the opposite site of radiator+fans in the case -not necessary but it doesn't bother me at all)

Last edited:

Kelly

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2018
@dondan what length of 240mm radiator would the new/old design hold?

I personally don't care whether or not the case would turn into a unibody design. I'm just curious about the cooling capacity.

Btw, I also don't care whether or not this case would be available on pre-order on q4 or not, Just take your time to perfect the design, alot of people in this forum seem to be rushing in. I just want them to understand that It's not easy designing a case as a team let alone a One man job.

Keep up the good work, hope things go well in the future

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
Front of with hopefully a USB a and c. Power like the a4.

I don't think rotating is a huge deal as long as the window and gpu is on the left.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018

- no I/O

- At the front centred

A question belongs to the rotating feature. The rotating feature is one point that makes the development very hard, because it requires to move the case feet’s, maybe I/O (depending on the location) and the case must look the same from both sides. Is this feature a must have for you?

If you can keep the side I/O that's in the current prototype, and still mimic the power button placement from the A4, that would be my dream come true.

If that's not possible with the unibody design, then I'd choose form over function, and not have an I/O at all, and would still vote for the power button to mimic the A4. I would have an A4 already if that USB port wasn't on the front panel, but it bothers me THAT much...

As far as rotating goes... I think it's great to give the option, but it isn't a deal breaker for me if it doesn't have the capability. If you asked us to choose just one orientation, I'd vote for the window and GPU on the left side of the case since it achieved better cooling in your tests. With that said, I'd still like the I/O to be on the right side if possible to keep a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Reactions: HaveBlue

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

- no I/O

- At the front centred

I love the (idea of the) versatility of having a well executed front centered I/O + USB Type C port. It would make this case very unique in allowing user to flip the case without having to reconfigure anything external.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yes this is right, BUT for example if we center the power button and put them near the bottom bend and put the Type-C over it and you now flip the case the power button will be new locatet near the top at the front and the Type-C under it.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
As I'm a big fan of a clean front facia, my vote would be for a centered power button with no I/O on the front. Having the power button at the top or bottom makes no difference to me, and I would orient the case whichever way would leave the radiator at the top.

Reactions: talkion and Brude27

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Yes this is right, BUT for example if we center the power button and put them near the bottom bend and put the Type-C over it and you now flip the case the power button will be new locatet near the top at the front and the Type-C under it.

I really like the power button hidden on the side like it shows in the picture. Looks very clean, and it would work either way that you have it flipped.

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
rotating feature is a must have if the radiators arent at the top (at least for me but seems like other people mentioned that already)

but wow, what a turn this project took into
im still hoping the this would be ready for kickstarters by the time 9th gen intel and nextgen nvidia is out

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Okay, while I had some complaints about small issues with the C4, I have to say scrapping the design is probably the single worst move I've seen. I disagree completely with the mATX concept, and I dislike the unibody focus that is trying to make it an A4. The prototypes looked sexy as hell, that is what drew me to this case. The C4 crapped all over the A4 in terms of aesthetics, and I'm disheartened as hell to see the visual design take two steps back.

Was still seriously considering it as an upgrade to the NCASE regardless, not at all now. Sigh. If I want an NCASE I'll keep the NCASE, I wanted the C4 because it was unique.

One final thing: I don't think the scratches internally are that big of a deal, certainly not worth cancelling the entire design. The paint Lani-Li uses on these things is plain shit, and just building in these cases (NCASE has plenty of examples) causes the paint to wear and scratch off very easily wherever components come into contact with it. Literally look at any build log with these cases, and there are scratches and bare metal showing all over the place. Nobody really seems to complain though, because it's all internal and invisible. (This might be an issue with a windowed version depending on where the scratches appear, but again this is a problem with the pain Lian-Li uses at its core).

Last edited:

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Seems like @dondan messed up big time.

The unibody thing clearly is not the C4-SFX we are expecting, I understand the production issues etc. but people have to genuinely like the case in order to support it on Kickstarter.

It's ok to delay it to 2019, but please don't scrap all the good progress done so far. It's a waste.

Man, the prototypes are such a tease.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
What a bunch of whinging crybabies.

The unibody thing clearly is not the C4-SFX we are expecting, I understand the production issues etc. but people have to genuinely like the case in order to support it on Kickstarter.

So, how closely this case caters to your personal whims will determine its success or failure on Kickstarter? Very well, then.

It's ok to delay it to 2019, but please don't scrap all the good progress done so far. It's a waste.

There's a word for this: iteration. The greatest products in the world are developed this way.

Metroversal, my apologies for picking on you. The same could be said to any number of posters above.

This forum can be a source of friendly feedback and constructive criticism, or it can devolve into this. I hope most choose the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.