DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Power button on the side, and keeping the face clean. Especially since this case as the ability to be flipped I feel like it would look silly having the power button at the top front of the front panel.

Even though I initially said I'd like the power centered at the front, having looked at the renders again, a side mounted power button gets my vote. A clean front just looks so good.

I also think that even with the power button on the side, even if it weren't visible from where you had the case situated, it would only be a matter of a few days before finding it became second nature. Just think of how often you walk into a room and turn the light on without having to look for the light switch.

Reactions: Drue

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
We're 50 pages in, were over 40 pages in before all of these changes happened.
We went from the suggestion of ~9.8L to +11L, and went from a sleek exterior to a unibody.

All of these conversations had already been had. The water cooling chamber was increased because most wanted to have 30mm radiators with 25mm fans. The design for IO and front of the case was decided by a vote, when the unibody was an option, vast majority voted for either the drawer-looking design or the one Dan got a prototype for.
We've already been through what people wanted, there's no need to step back and start over asking the same questions again. Making it 5mm longer to allow for 2x120mm radiators isn't too big of a design change.

There's some manufacture/assembly issues that causes scratches on the inside, apparently... Also some structural issues.Then those issues should be fixed by changing the interior structural design, maybe make some compromises somewhere.

If they can't be solved and the C4-SFX design has to be scrapped, then that's too bad.
Or if Dan doesn't like the C4-SFX concept anymore, he's free to explore whatever other options he wants, but a suggestion would be to create a new thread for those new case concepts.

@Mallot im glad we are on the same page after our discussion :D

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
Anyways I think @dondan at this point knows how much "IF" unibody design change is unfavored by this huge backlash.
Once again he mentioned "IF" in his previous posts.

Judging from the A4 price point, I suspect that there wont be a huge price cut by changing to the unibody design AND we are losing front I/O options AND losing front drive mount option.

At this point, I do have to agree with majority of the people, going against the unibody design.
However, I think all the bickering and the arguing and the whole fire situation isn't good for the project forum/thread.

So once again, he said "IF" in his previous posts; lets just hope that the "IF" doesn't actually happen since everyone already made a decent fire out of the topic and got the point across. I strongly believe that @dondan is doing this project out of passion, but I also believe that he also listens to his supporters (based on his previous surveys and such). I doubt that anyone designing a product wants to lose their supporters.

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
Recap time:
The original design seems more popular by far over the unibody apporach.

Problems:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the current imperfections on the prototype are:
  • scratches on the inner frame when installing top and bottom panels
  • not enough space for clean cable routing
  • anything else?
Solutions:
Those two problems don't seem to be too hard to solve without resorting to a full redesign. I don't think anyone here would be too upset if the case grow a cm or 2 in any dimension.
As for the scratches. I'll repost 2 suggestions from Hardforum here for everyone to be able to partake in the ideas:

1. by me: Change top and bottom panels so they are flat pieces and thus don't rub against anything when installing:

2. by Almidax:
add some thin rubber padding to prevent scratches:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is my answer:

1)
- Window Panel: It is impossible to add a slide in pin on a glass panel like this.
- Bottom panel: For the topside we have that black inner structure but not at the bottom. So we need the small bends on each side of the panel to make the outer panel warp resistant. Sorry your solution will not work.

2) The rubber layer must be glued and can be compressed (on the short part) while attaching it. I think a better solution is to add a gab like 0.1-0.2mm on both sides between the short bends and the inner frame. Then I have to use a 0.1-0.2 thicker panel on both sides to make sure they flush.

@Everyone: Please give me some days I am working on two idears that I like to show, but I need time for visualization.

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
@dondan Why does the outer panel need to be warp resistant? The inner frame should take care of mechanical stability. The outer panels should only be there for aesthetics and directing airflow? Shouldn't it even be possible to basically remove the bottom panel and only attach feet directly to the inner frame?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@ScarletStar: A little example: Take two coffee cups with a deistance (gab) of 15cm to each other. Now put a cardboard strap on it like a bridge and press on it at the center point of gab. What will happen? The strap will be bend. Now add two bends of each side of the carton and do the test again. It will not bend.

What does it mean for the C4? If I do it like in your drawing and you carry the case with one hand on the bottom side. The panel will be bend and maybe stay in this bended form. This is one of the main rules in designing metal boxes. If you have to span a long distance with a metal piece that doesn't have contact to a inner structure you have to add bends.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Btw: What do you think about a outer design that looks like this without the gab under the window panel:

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@enome: If you mean with everyone the 20 different users that said this than it would be bad, because it means that I will only sell 20 cases.

I know this sounds maybe for someone strange but the opinion of some users that are very active here the last days and fight for the C4 design does not mean that everyone feel like that. The biggest part of the cumminity are silent readers.

enome

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2018
@enome: If you mean with everyone the 20 different users that said this than it would be bad, because it means that I will only sell 20 cases.

I know this sounds maybe for someone strange but the opinion of some users that are very active here the last days and fight for the C4 design does not mean that everyone feel like that. The biggest part of the cumminity are silent readers.

yea you're right, I was a silent reader too until I had questions that would change my build plan :)

Reactions: Talyrius and dondan

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
@dondan
Ah I see now you don't have support beams on the bottom. So basically the black bar on the bottom of my picture does not exist. Would it be much more expensive to add those?

alex_aalex

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 22, 2018

Make a survey and maybe they will say something, thus we'll know what people want

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Btw: What do you think about a outer design that looks like this without the gab under the window panel:

I think it's a clean look, but also a rather trendy design direction people are going with recently...

Another example is the Streacom DA-2:

Again, it's a clean look, and I'm actually a big fan of the Streacom aside from it's hideous power button/type C port implementation on the front... but every version you have shown us so far @dondan is better looking than this design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.