DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017
@dondan I go 7 months following the project and many people who continues here are for the current design of the C4, really one sees beautiful and scarcely there is nothing similar on the market. If in this project you notice that there is less interest that in the A4 can be because many persons bought the A4 it is reasonable that do not want to buy another case because already they have one. In his day you did boom! as for what could offer and many people started falling in love about the world ITX (I included). It is true that is impossible to please to the whole world but I think that you might launch this version of the C4 since it is the one that we like to the majority and later to launch another version with changes in the design.

This just is an idea, I will respect any change that I do, Though it is in disagreement:)

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Also that mesh on the front is ugly af, maybe if it could be somehow interesting like the fractal design meshify C or a pattern like the inwin-a1 it could be better but it is so bad in its current state I wouldn't buy it.

Ok I understand you point but I have one single question:

Do you not like this case?

I just don't really understand. The design is practically complete, why go back and needlessly alter it, just to have to get new prototypes, further delaying the case.

Sometimes I have the feeling that some users disagree because they think it will delay the project. But a delay isn't important for me. If it take another year it would be not a problem for me. The A4 was 2.5 years in development.

@dondan It is true that is impossible to please to the whole world but I think that you might launch this version of the C4 since it is the one that we like to the majority and later to launch another version with changes in the design

Sorry I don't have the capacities to make a product line in different design version. :(

Reactions: Nanook

wabbit

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2018

Personally I think that Lian Li case is ugly, but I'm not a fan of the A4 either

Some of you requested a rendering with the C4-H2O next to the A4-SFX:

What makes the C4 an attractive case to me is the strip dividing the front face and main body, it's a very clean break that makes the front face more of a feature, it's a strong look on it's own but also perfect for customisation with a vinyl or even an alternative material if the user is feeling adventurous.

The hidden feet elevating it off the floor are great, adding to the clean stark look of the case. Very different from the ugly 90s HiFi feet on the Lian Li above.

You say you find the C4 prototype boring and I agree, I think when you moved away from the separated front panel and main body the design lost it's most attractive feature.

But ultimately you can't please everyone

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Personally I think that Lian Li case is ugly, but I'm not a fan of the A4 either

What makes the C4 an attractive case to me is the strip dividing the front face and main body, it's a very clean break that makes the front face more of a feature, it's a strong look on it's own but also perfect for customisation with a vinyl or even an alternative material if the user is feeling adventurous.

The hidden feet elevating it off the floor are great, adding to the clean stark look of the case. Very different from the ugly 90s HiFi feet on the Lian Li above.

You say you find the C4 prototype boring and I agree, I think when you moved away from the separated front panel and main body the design lost it's most attractive feature.

But ultimately you can't please everyone

Interesting comments, what you say about the C4 is what was subconsciously hovering in my mind.
I would strongly disagree about the A4 however, even though the A4 isn't for me.
I woke up in the night with something bothering me about the C4 design, that's what it was; the dividing strip having gone.
I always thought that it would look brilliant in a subtly contrasting colour - gunmetal?

@dondan, I'm fascinated to hear what you just wrote while I was composing my reply to @wabbit

Reactions: Talyrius

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I prefer much more an engineer approach than an architect approach to a problem. Work done by @aquelito with his Adibou fits much more my needs for this reasons. Thanks to his design he could ran fans with 5V, have a very low noise and low temperatures...

Thanks for the heads up, even though I happen to be an interior architect ;) (hence the symetrical construction).

I wanted to do a smaller version of the vertical tower Silverstone Fortress FT03, with watercooling in mind.

I wouldn't mind a vertical version of the C4, something smaller than the Macho One and a bit more refined than my rough proto.

Reactions: SashaLag

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
@aquelito wow, then wonderful! Really interested to see your final product!

What I mean with that comparison was that engineer prefer to prioritize function before aesthetics while architects prefer aesthetics before functions... There is a bit of preconception here but... It is a fast metaphor! :D

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I meant I wouldn't mind @dondan to look into that particular vertical layout.

His C4-SFX being pretty close in terms of technical choices (hard riser over the MB), it could be pretty easily adapted, while retaining all the esthetical and functional qualities of his initial design (which my proto lacks).

As for the differences between engineers and architects, form follow function as they say.
The architect will "build" a nice story around a function (with colours, materials, etc.), while the engineer will keep it bare !

Reactions: SashaLag

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think the first prototype will win, but this does not solve the problem with production problems.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018

I’m not personally wild about the mesh front panel of that rendering... I understand its function, but it takes away from the clean aesthetic we have learned to associate with a Dan Case.

To follow up with my first comment... No. I do not find this to be an attractive case whatsoever... As I've said previously, I'm not really wild about anything on the front panel, so that Lian Li design loses me in a big way.

I agree with the others that have said that if the size goes up, it should actually go up... as in height, not depth. The smaller the footprint, the better imo.

Also, I thought the idea of potentially going to the unibody design wouldn’t change the internal layout, and give the space needed for the issues that were previously discussed about the prototype. While the recent concept rendering is a bit more functional than the original, it manages to be somehow less interesting than before... I loved the idea of having the option to use 2 120 rads for both the CPU and GPU, OR a single 240 rad and air cool the GPU... but the ability to use 2 240s makes the decision much less of a decision, and in turn less interesting... not to mention it makes the case larger, and that in itself is considerably less interesting as well.

In terms of the front panel separation line from the VERY beginning concept... I always really like that design as well.

I think what it all boils down to is which design is the most interesting, functional, and economic for manufacturing, all while keeping the original internal layout. Aesthetics are subjective, and not people won't all agree no matter what you decide. People being happy and excited about the product will follow once those three categories are met... it may not be the same group that is excited now, but excitement will be had!

Last edited:

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I was absent for a few days and suddenly the overall design of the case has changed! Needless to say, my reaction was like "what the eff?!" XD

@dondan do you think there's still time to save the first prototype design? If the scratches are the problem, is it possible to prevent it by applying a plastic film on critical areas?

It's a shame if you end up dropping the design with the I/O on the side. There's too much good stuff in it! Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss the case feet, and the sleek look.

The problem I have with the A4 and cases like the Lian Li v760 (which looks horrendous btw), is that they look kinda cheap - no offense - the side panels often leave a little gap that drives me nuts. I'd rather have scratches that I can not see, than a gap that's always in my face. I'm sorry to say this but I'll probably lose interest if the case is going unibody.

In any case, I wish you the best with the project Dan, I really hope you end up finding a solution to the production issues!

Last edited:

Etz

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2018
I really liked original concept, I'm not agains unibody though, but I really doubt fans in front would suck enough air trough bottom radiator. There are lot easier paths for air to pass trough, unless you make case completely hermetical on other sides.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I really prefer the clean, unvented front panel to the latest idea.

Aside from the aesthetics, I'm not sure I like the idea of having exhaust fans at the front of the case. Having not had an AIO cooler before, I don't know how much airflow would be coming from the front, or what the temperature would be, but I would prefer the exhaust to be away from me.

@dondan thanks for posting your thoughts and ideas on the forums, even if we don't all like them, it's nice to feel like when you do finalize a design, it will be based on feedback and reactions from people who are excited to build a system into this type of case. I think the end result will be better for it.

Remember, you can keep some of the people happy all the time, and all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't keep all of the people happy all the time!

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
+1 for the mesh-less front panel, even if it means the unit I'd be getting would have scratches on the inside.

@dondan One idea is that you can do what the Corsair 400C does and make a small induction on the side and cover the mesh with a second panel. That would retain your original look while still providing what you're looking for.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Actually, the more I think about it, that design idea could also allow you to put back on USB C and all the rest of the ports back on the side of the front panel like you originally wanted. You could also make the front and top one large singular unit allowing for easy removal. It could be a solution and let you keep a cohesive design language between the C4 and the A4. I myself prefer the more angular look of the original C4 renderings, however.

Last edited:

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018

Sometimes I have the feeling that some users disagree because they think it will delay the project. But a delay isn't important for me. If it take another year it would be not a problem for me. The A4 was 2.5 years in development.

Sorry I don't have the capacities to make a product line in different design version. :(

@dondan
I very much do not like that case. looks cheap. i still don't see the point of expanding the case to put 2x 120mm fans at the front. maybe make a poll on whether or not to do that?

I would vote against adding those fans as I feel they are unnecessary and make the case uglier by needing mesh on the front.

Also, I am not disagreeing only because I don't want the case delayed. While that is certainly a factor, I understand the feeling of wanting to thoroughly pursue all options when designing something. It is just finding that point when editing the case doesn't just go forward but also backwards. I think the case is in or very near that spot with the unibody design and without the 2x 120mm at the front.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
An ugly case without internal scratches is still going to be an ugly case. A good looking case with internal scratches might still be good looking.
Changing the case design to an ugly design just to avoid some damage during manufacture really doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: Talyrius
Status
Not open for further replies.