DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flotsch

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2019
The poll is not live. I will create them after I am done with both CAD models to be sure that both version can be realized.
Wouldn't a dual chamber layout (like in the A4) greatly interfere with an AIO's tubing?
Regarding PCIe 4.0, I also belive that a short PCB-based riser would be more future proof than a long and flexible one.
Looking forward to the renderings though

Reactions: BillT

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Created an account just so I can put this down.

$25 more for sandblasted anodized aluminum is absolutely worth it.

Don't worry about it being similar to the Ghost S1. That case is overpriced and will be even more so when you add top hat. Also looks bad with a tophat. Also has serious quality issues.

The current design is great with the GPU above the mobo. If it's behind like A4(GPU behind mobo), you can't showcase both sides at the same time. And will be inconvenient when using 120 AIO for both the CPU and GPU which I think is the optimal setup.

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
Wouldn't a dual chamber layout (like in the A4) greatly interfere with an AIO's tubing?
Regarding PCIe 4.0, I also belive that a short PCB-based riser would be more future proof than a long and flexible one.
Looking forward to the renderings though
The S1 has shown that that a 240 rad with dual chamber is definitely possible (noting that I like this case way more than the S1).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
There is no problem for the 240mm AIO but it could be tricky for the dual 120mm AIO. On the A4 sandwitch layout the motherboard tray will be in the middle of the case. So it will be hard to route the tubes for the 120mm AIO that is under the moterboard.

Reactions: Saturnian

Kaleidoscope

Efficiency Noob
Jan 16, 2019
I was wondering what airflow would be like for a open-air GPU in the current(non-A4 like) layout if I am planning to use a transparent side panel.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
As for the sandblasted or brushed panel thing, why but just offer both at their respective price? Either way I think the sandblasted is worth it, but not everyone's the same.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I love everything I'm seeing with this case. It's unfortunate though that it can only accomodate up to 2.5 slot GPU's seeing as I just bought a 2.75 slot EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone else's builds in this enclosure when it launches.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
I love everything I'm seeing with this case. It's unfortunate though that it can only accomodate up to 2.5 slot GPU's seeing as I just bought a 2.75 slot EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone else's builds in this enclosure when it launches.

EVGA offers a 2 slot bracket and a hybrid cooler upgrade, might be the way to go for you

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
I was under the impression 2.75 slot compatibility was guaranteed because future GPUs are getting taller, not longer. If DAN is going for a hard riser for future compatibility, then 2.75 slot is a must too.

Edit: One small niggle I take with the design being intended for the rad to be at the bottom is that in an AIO, this means that it is likely air bubbles will work their way into the pump, especially over time should any evaporation occur.

This will either result in a lot of pump noise, or will even prevent liquid from being able to flow. That is why the recommendation is to always keep the rad above the pump, so that gravity will stop the bubble from being able to get out of the rad.

I know you can flip the case to make this a nonissue, but then the PSU trunking you've been designing isn't going to work as well, no?

Just something to think about. It doesn't seem like a good idea to have it as the default.

Last edited:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I was under the impression 2.75 slot compatibility was guaranteed because future GPUs are getting taller, not longer. If DAN is going for a hard riser for future compatibility, then 2.75 slot is a must too.

Based on what I've read in previous posts Dan isn't decided yet on what the final layout will be, but if he does go with the layout that supports 2.75 slot, then using a hard riser is not possible. The 2.75 slot orientation involves the GPU being behind the mobo and requires a flexible riser that can bend around to the GPU.

Considering this case is still in the design phase and there's no firm launch window for it I doubt this case will be available by the time I assemble my next build, which will be around the time the new AMD chips drop. That said, if it does arrive by then and supports 2.75 slot GPU's this would very likely replace the Ncase M1 as my enclosure.

Reactions: Beardedswede

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here are some words to the GPU thickness support. These values are for the Hard-Riser edition. On flexible riser we will lose some millimeter:

2 Slot ~ 38-40mm --> Left space for CPU heatsink ~66mm
2.5 Slot ~ 48-50mm --> Left space for CPU heatsink ~56mm
2.75 Slot ~ 53-55mm --> Left space for CPU heatsink ~51mm
3 Slot ~ 58-60mm --> will collide with SFX

I analyzed all available RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti cards:

~ 48% 2 Slot (prominent cards: Gigabyte Windforce, EVGA XC gaming, Nvidia Founders Edition, Zotac AMP MAXX)
~ 4% 2.5 Slot (prominent cards: MSI Ventus)
~ 14% 2.75 Slot (prominent cards: Asus Strix, MSI Duke)
~ 34% 3 Slot (Gainward Phoenix, Palit GamingPro, EVGA FTW, Asus Dual, Gigabyte Aorus)

What realistic (most prominent) use case we do have for the case?

1) 240mm rad for CPU (custom builds and AIO builds)
- many like to use NZXT X52 (pump height 54-55mm)
- CPU block on custom loops need space for fittings

2) 240mm rad for CPU and GPU (custom builds)
- CPU block on custom loops need space for fittings
- don't need thick GPUs

Advantages and Disadvantages of the Slot classes:

2 Slot
- There are more than enough good cards in this class like Nvidia FE or EVGA XC
- Enough space for cpu pump combos like NZXT X52 or custom loops
- Also enough space for heatsinks like Big Shuriken
- Possibility to increase the distance from the side panel to have better airflow on Window Kit

2.5 Slot
- The only interesting card is the MSI Ventus
- Very close to the side panel

2.75 Slot
- Very limited space for CPU pump (NZXT X52 will not fit)
- Very close to the side panel
- Some cards from this list are too long for the case

3 Slot
Incompatible

After I saw these values I made the decision to only support 2 Slot card + extra free space to have a better airflow with window kit. Something likes 2.25 Slot. This has also the advantage that I only need to include one hard riser.

If you now think this is a bad decision and support for 2.5 Slot + is very important the C4 hardware layout is not the perfect one for this use case. Then I need to do a survey to check what cards you will use. For a Layout that supports 2.75 Slot cards and 240mm AIO or Noctua C14S I can make a case with NCase M1 layout in the same size as the current C4-SFX layout with 10.5L. (149*227*310).

Now I am interested in what you think.

Last edited:

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
I'm coming in with a MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X (2.5 slot 290mm).

I may be minority, but I'm willing to make it fit. I love black and red.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
If you now think this is a bad decision and support for 2.5 Slot + is very important the C4 hardware layout is not the perfect one for this use case. Then I need to do a survey to check what cards you will use. For a Layout that supports 2.75 Slot cards and 240mm AIO or Noctua C14S I can make a case with NCase M1 layout in the same size as the current C4-SFX layout with 10.5L. (149*227*310).

Now I am interested in what you think.

A bit smaller Ncase M1 Layout with sandblasted Panels would be absolutely perfect. :D

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Personally, I just want a low maintenance Aircooled optimized compact chassi. Possibly powerhouse/low noise If needed. That's why I need better cooler then most small cases have room for. Basically something like the C14S with the fan under(I guess works) or the besilent similar CPU coolers. To have a beefy AMD CPU, 2 or 2,5 slot GPU.
Sandblasted aluminum . Minimalistic design.
I don't love the Ncase M1 layout/look though. I'm more into the Ghost S1layout/look (with no hothats)

Last edited:
Reactions: BillT

TheMoeBlob

Chassis Packer
Jan 13, 2019
2.5 slot gpu and aio in under 15L is the idea case for me especially because it gives flexibility of building a custom loop eventually without sacrificing the ability to fit a beefy gpu cooler in there before it goes under water.

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
2.5 slot is probably the ideal size for most people (or for me at least). imo people building an sff would want their computer to be cooled sufficiently without any thermal throttling. its easy to get aios for cpus but for gpus, its another story.
most people will most likely not do custom watercooling despite what the case is made for, perhaps only a combination of aio cpu and aircooled gpu. and to have good thermals for gpu, its better to look for gpus with beefier heatsinks, i.e.: 2.5 and above.

also, please note that 2 slot rtx2080ti and non-ti cards, such as the EVGA are not available in certain markets (just so you know tho)

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
Asus Poseidon (298x158x50mm) so 2,5Slot with i5 8400 with custom water cooling. i will use an pump under the sfx psu und dont will fit a pump in the cpu block.

Status
Not open for further replies.